Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EDC: Smaller vs Larger

EDC: Smaller vs Larger

In another forum a discussion evolved from a question asking for advice btwn a subcompact single stack, double stack single stack and a compact double stack. Some said they can shoot their sub DS guns as well as the compact DS, which I can relate to. I used to carry a Glock 27 exclusively, and I could shoot it better (albeit not much) than my 23, but not at longer distances. I think it has something to do with the grip. I used to tend to grip the smaller guns harder than the larger gun. I don’t do that anymore, but I do think it can make a difference for some.

I also like the options the 26 gives over the 43. When I carried the 26 I carried 17 mags for back up, instead of 19 mags, but after carrying the 26 and the 19 together, it seemed to me there was no distinct advantage to the 26, so I reverted back to the 19. I still love the 26, and I think the 43 is a fine little gun, but I prefer the Shield to it. The Shield is slightly larger, but it’s shape is also different and fits my hands better when I’m shooting it.

Given the nature of the current state of affairs, with ANTIFA, BLM, and other nutballs shooting places up, I’ve moved away from the smaller guns to the 19. I’ve even considered running a 34 just for the added velocity and accuracy at longer distances such at what one could have faced in the Texas church shooting. I’ve often carried the Shield or a 42 and 43 with the mindset that those guns with two mags is more than enough, but in today’s cultural climate, I’m not so sure. I’d rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

That said, I have trained more than the average citizen has, so I would be more inclined to engage an active shooter in a scenario like the church shooting than someone who has not trained to use their gun for that application. There is a huge difference btwn using a pistol to engage a threat and using one to shoot back when engaged by a threat. For example. If I were in that situation, I would be inclined to move toward the shooter with the intent of taking him out as opposed to what I have told my wife, who carried a Shield, to do, which is you hide, and if the shooter comes near you then shoot. Otherwise, keep your head down and stay quiet. If you can get out do so, but do not put yourself in a position of danger.

If all I had was a 26 or a 43, or even a Shield, I probably would not engage a shooter. At least not nearly as confidently as I would be with a 19, 17 or 34. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not the guy who is going to chase an active shooter down in any given scenario. I’m not a super hero! But in a closed scenario like that church shooting, where the “battlefield” is tight, and you’re really like a fish in a barrel, the fight is a bit different. In that scenario, I would want, at the least, a 19 with about 50 rounds of 9mm on me. You can fight better with that than a 43 and 16 rounds.

What are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by GCBHM; 11-10-2017 at 03:26 PM.

Site Supporter
    First off, there is a thread somewhere on the forum in which some pretty knowledgeable folks discussed the possibility of and challenges involved in using a handgun to engage a shooter who has a rifle. Casual discussions of a topic like that rarely produce anything positive but that was an exception.

As far as what type and size of gun to carry -- carry the gun that you think gives you the right balance of attributes. Capacity, your ability to shoot the gun, your ability to conceal the gun, proven reliability, etc... I think most people can carry something like a Glock 19 without too much trouble. The smaller guns work well only when deep concealment is the main deciding factor, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    First off, there is a thread somewhere on the forum in which some pretty knowledgeable folks discussed the possibility of and challenges involved in using a handgun to engage a shooter who has a rifle. Casual discussions of a topic like that rarely produce anything positive but that was an exception.

As far as what type and size of gun to carry -- carry the gun that you think gives you the right balance of attributes. Capacity, your ability to shoot the gun, your ability to conceal the gun, proven reliability, etc... I think most people can carry something like a Glock 19 without too much trouble. The smaller guns work well only when deep concealment is the main deciding factor, IMO.
    This thread is intended to consider the discuss the reasons why one might choose to carry a smaller gun vs a larger gun for EDC given the current climate in America today. The dynamics change based on different criteria, and this era of daily life tends to be on shifting sand, even in more conservative areas. What are your thoughts as I‎t relates to what you choose? I’m not asking for personal advice. My mind is already made up. What I’m looking for here is input from other individuals as to why they choose what they do.

Site Supporter
    I choose what I carry based on the factors I listed, with the additional factor being the gun I have the most experience with. Beyond that, what type of gun someone carries is pretty far down the list of things that will make a difference within the context of what you term as "changing dynamics".

People being armed, refusing to be victimized, preparing themselves mentally and physically for violence if it occurs, and societal views about how to deal with violence count for more than individual firearms choices in my opinion. But I'll bow out now so as to not spoil your thread.

I’m just a random noob.

I have carried a P30SK LEM 10+1 for the last year or so. I used in my Tom Givens class in June. I did not shoot the LEM well.

Yesterday I traded my USPSA pistol, an HK VP9, in on a Glock 19 Gen 5. I will be changing over to it as a carry gun, as well as for USPSA (my wife has glommed on to the P30SK).

I agree that things going the way they are, 15+1 is better than 10+1. Since for me they carry about the same size, I think it’s a no brainer to carry AT LEAST a compact double stack with at least 15 rounds.
    Last edited by RJ; 11-10-2017 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GCBHM View Post
    In another forum a discussion evolved from a question asking for advice btwn a subcompact single stack, double stack single stack and a compact double stack. Some said they can shoot their sub DS guns as well as the compact DS, which I can relate to. I used to carry a Glock 27 exclusively, and I could shoot it better (albeit not much) than my 23
    I've heard these claims to often be without qualification. Can you quantify such on repeatable measured drills, such as a Bill Drill, 5x5, 4567, FAST?

One of them I've been hearing recently are people shooting them on police qualifications, which have a notoriously low standard. Right now my agency is switching to the G19M and G26 as an issued pair. I've been told, "Hey, I shot just as well with the Glock 26. No point in the Glock 19!" That's not really saying much given the low standards on the course of fire.

ETA: In that, I think people often conflate "good enough" (referencing whatever standard they've deemed fit) with "just as good".
    Last edited by TGS; 11-10-2017 at 04:59 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Banned
    First I'd like to point out that Jeanne Assam ended the New Life Church shooting with 4 or 5 shots.

I carried a Shield for several months until one morning I was walking my dog and 5 of my crackhead neighbors walked out of my apartment building and surrounded me. It wasn't anything nefarious, they were high and wanted to know what kind of dog I had. It WAS a wake up call however and I haven't felt comfortable carrying anything of less than 12 rounds capacity since.

This doesn't have any bearing on this discussion but my primary reason for choosing to replace my Shield with a M&P Compact (as opposed to some other gun) was that I already owned an M&P Full Size and the FS magazines fit both pistols. So from an economic standpoint (IMO) it makes better sense to have magazines that are compatible with more than one gun.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I've heard these claims to often be without qualification. Can you quantify such on repeatable measured drills, such as a Bill Drill, 5x5, 4567, FAST?
    When I carried the 27/23 I shot completely differently than I do now, but I did shoot from slow to fast at various distances on various targets. For example: some targets would be the sheets with say nine small bullseye type targets while others would be the life-size human silhouettes. While I was not always decidedly better with the 27, I was usually a little tighter at closer ranges, and never any worse for wear.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

ETA: In that, I think people often conflate "good enough" (referencing whatever standard they've deemed fit) with "just as good".
    When I hear random people say they shoot 40 just as well as 9 I assume they really mean that they shoot it just as poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I choose what I carry based on the factors I listed, with the additional factor being the gun I have the most experience with. Beyond that, what type of gun someone carries is pretty far down the list of things that will make a difference within the context of what you term as "changing dynamics".

People being armed, refusing to be victimized, preparing themselves mentally and physically for violence if it occurs, and societal views about how to deal with violence count for more than individual firearms choices in my opinion. But I'll bow out now so as to not spoil your thread.
    Again, just talk about what you do and why. Don’t need what you think about what others may do. Thanks!

Last edited by GCBHM; 11-10-2017 at 05:17 PM.

User Tag List