Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How does 300 BLK subsonic performs compared to handgun calibers?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    The only real downside is a bit more penetration than necessary, but 21” in bare gel is fine with me when it opens up to 0.6”.
    What I wonder is whether that much penetration should rule out 300 BLK as a home defense cartridge if one lives in a residential area. Even if you don't miss your target will your bullets just exit and keep on going with plenty of lethal energy?

The reason 300 BLK has been attractive to me is that it is definitely quieter than 5.56 when shooting suppressed.

Those are supers. They smoke just about anything 5.56 has to offer at ranges less than 150-200 meters; beyond that the 5.56 takes over largely due to bullet drop. 6.8 SPC smokes both of them at most practical ranges with the obvious downsides of parts incompatibility and a little more recoil.

There are a few subs that offer impressive expansion in bare gel such as the Lehigh Defense 194 grain but performance through barriers and reliable feeding from a magazine is far less impressive.

IMHO, 300 blk subs are great for 2 purposes: 1) civilian hog hunting and 2) a narrow military application where a high precision, low signature round needs to be placed through a brainstem from a rifle that may later be needed for getting busy when the lights come on...
    Last edited by Sensei; 11-14-2017 at 09:24 AM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    What I wonder is whether that much penetration should rule out 300 BLK as a home defense cartridge if one lives in a residential area. Even if you don't miss your target will your bullets just exit and keep on going with plenty of lethal energy?

The reason 300 BLK has been attractive to me is that it is definitely quieter than 5.56 when shooting suppressed.
    My experienced gestalt (15 years as an emergency physician taking care of thousands of people with man made holes) is that a couple of inches beyond ideal is not enough to make me abandon a round. A fully expanded bullet that barely exits 12-18” of person is not as worrisome to me as a FMJ that likes to penetrate 25+ inches after weird yaws. Yes, I’m mindful of what’s behind my target, but I’d have zero reservations using the Barnes bullet in an urban apartment when I’m confident of my shot and there is not a friendly standing DIRECTLY behind my intended target. Then again, that would be my standard for most calibers in my armory.
    Last edited by Sensei; 11-14-2017 at 10:11 AM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Obviously the biggest advantage to the 300 is its versatility. It can be loaded with supersonic ammo and used like a rifle or it can be loaded with subsonic ammo and used like a submachinegun. It might not fill either roll perfectly but it'll work in either realm with just the change of a magazine--and maybe a gas setting.

Handgun ammo is quite effective in the subgun role but not so much in the rifle role.
    Last edited by Tokarev; 11-14-2017 at 04:35 PM.

User Tag List