Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommended Home Defense Shotgun In New Jersey

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TYR View Post
    Beretta 1301 Tactical.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    This ^^^.

The 1301 is gas operated and there fore soft shooting. Another factor - The Length of Pull on the stock is reasonably short. Stocks which don't fit because they are too long tend to magnify the effects of felt recoil. Given Gas operation, plus proper fit and reduced recoil 12 gauge loads there is no compelling reason to choose a 20 gauge.

Add a tau development bolt release shroud, a light and possibly a red dot sight and you are in business.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    This ^^^.

The 1301 is gas operated and there fore soft shooting. Another factor - The Length of Pull on the stock is reasonably short. Stocks which don't fit because they are too long tend to magnify the effects of felt recoil. Given Gas operation, plus proper fit and reduced recoil 12 gauge loads there is no compelling reason to choose a 20 gauge.

Add a tau development bolt release shroud, a light and possibly a red dot sight and you are in business.
    I agree except the "frames" on some 20's are smaller and it makes the gun seem a lot more sprightly than it "should", kindof like a 14.5 vs a 16.1" carbine barrel. That said, I don't think OP really cares about that, and I have said what you're saying time and again. The "myth and legend" of the 12ga is a double edged sword to new shooters. The fury and bluster at the other end of the barrel isn't nearly what they expect, but legends never die...
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 11-10-2017 at 06:43 PM.

I would look at the 1301, but NOT the PG model. With an adapter plate, you can add Magpul's 870 stock, which will be even more friendly to a smaller framed shooter. Another option would be the Benelli M2 with Comfortech stock. The stock is longish, but works for attenuating recoil. I SEVERELY dislike shooting our issued M500s with standard 00 buck, but I can shoot flite control reduced recoil through my M2 all day long with no discomfort.

I'd also look at a 22" VR barrel - looks a lot more like a hunting shotgun than an evil semiautomatic death machine. When NYS went full retard with the Safe Act, they banned, by name, darned near every long gun with the word "tactical" in its name.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I would look at the 1301, but NOT the PG model. With an adapter plate, you can add Magpul's 870 stock, which will be even more friendly to a smaller framed shooter. Another option would be the Benelli M2 with Comfortech stock. The stock is longish, but works for attenuating recoil. I SEVERELY dislike shooting our issued M500s with standard 00 buck, but I can shoot flite control reduced recoil through my M2 all day long with no discomfort.

I'd also look at a 22" VR barrel - looks a lot more like a hunting shotgun than an evil semiautomatic death machine. When NYS went full retard with the Safe Act, they banned, by name, darned near every long gun with the word "tactical" in its name.
    I believe the arridus adaptor allows use of the magpul Mossberg 500 stock.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I believe the arridus adaptor allows use of the magpul Mossberg 500 stock.
    This is correct. I own one, and it takes the Mossberg variety.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    I agree except the "frames" on some 20's are smaller and it makes the gun seem a lot more sprightly than it "should", kindof like a 14.5 vs a 16.1" carbine barrel. That said, I don't think OP really cares about that, and I have said what you're saying time and again. The "myth and legend" of the 12ga is a double edged sword to new shooters. The fury and bluster at the other end of the barrel isn't nearly what they expect, but legends never die...

The first real gun I had was a 20 gauge H&R single shot. The LOP was 14" plus a rubber slip on recoil pad. That thing kicked like a mule as a kid. Shot it not to long ago and guess what ? It still kicks like a mule because the 15" LOP is still too long. A judicious trimming is in order.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    My wife is 5'0" with small hands, as in smaller than women's S gloves. A typical 20 works better than a similar 12 for her just because the smaller fame and stock dimensions(width, diameter) make it easier to grip.
    My experience with smaller shooters is that fit and balance are more important than weight. Weight isn't bad as long as the gun isn't front-heavy for them.

For the OP, if you buy a Beretta 1301 or Benelli M2, get the shortest barrel competition or field model rather than the tactical model. It sounds like your state will eventually ban shotguns with the word tactical in the name.

My opinion of new autoloader reliability isn't very good generally speaking. I'd also recommend the 1301 or go old school and get a Browning Auto-5, the old humpback, not the new one. They were so reliable (with proper loads) that they didn't have any real market competition for about 60 years. The new Remington and Winchester autos just don't instill enough confidence in me to bet my life on them. Benelli is also a great option. They can be picky as to certain loads but the quality and reliability is certainly there. Benelli, Beretta and maybe, possibly a Remington Versa-Max but based on the workmanship of the new 870s I'd be leary to rely on it without shooting a bunch of ammo to instill confidence. Clearing a jam in a fight doesn't sound like a good time.

I also wouldn't fret about a 20 gauge with good #3 buck loads.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    My wife is 5'0" with small hands, as in smaller than women's S gloves. A typical 20 works better than a similar 12 for her just because the smaller fame and stock dimensions(width, diameter) make it easier to grip.
    My experience with smaller shooters is that fit and balance are more important than weight. Weight isn't bad as long as the gun isn't front-heavy for them.
    Thank-you for your opinion on a 20 gauge. Going to my local range to look at a few 20 gauge shotguns. I still follow the belief that for home defense you get a gun that your wife can handle --PERIOD!
    USMC...helping enemies of America die for their countries since....1775 !

User Tag List