Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recommended Home Defense Shotgun In New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by veteran-USMC View Post
    Thank-you for your opinion on a 20 gauge. Going to my local range to look at a few 20 gauge shotguns. I still follow the belief that for home defense you get a gun that your wife can handle --PERIOD!
    Why doesn't OP buy his shotgun, and his wife can buy hers, after they both decide what they like? That way everyone gets EXACTLY what they like. Make sure you can of course actually use the other if you have to, though.

Easy answer for me — Benelli M2 20 gauge with the youth length Comfortech stock. Recoil is modest, but even more important it is a much lighter, easier handling shotgun. Here is one cut down with AO sights (still has the higher comb from when it had a T1 on the receiver).

Name:  8DC4505F-52B2-474E-804D-C322693B99A3.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  79.5 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Why an auto? Seems like the next step for gun grabbers will be non-duck hunting autoloaders. I’d recommend a pair of 870’s, 12 for you and 20 for the Mrs. The 20ga youth model already has a shortened stock.
    Additionally, they are the most ubiquitous shotgun in America. Aftermarket parts are available everywhere from Dicks/Gander/Academy type big box stores to Amazon to Wilson/Nighthawk/Suarez custom shops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Treecop View Post
    Why an auto? Seems like the next step for gun grabbers will be non-duck hunting autoloaders. I’d recommend a pair of 870’s, 12 for you and 20 for the Mrs. The 20ga youth model already has a shortened stock.
    Additionally, they are the most ubiquitous shotgun in America. Aftermarket parts are available everywhere from Dicks/Gander/Academy type big box stores to Amazon to Wilson/Nighthawk/Suarez custom shops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    An auto because unless you run a pump gun regular short stroking and user induced malfunctions are common with pump guns. I saw this regularly when our officers shot the shotgun once per quarter. Even more so now that they are only shooting it once per year.

Short stroking is very real--I have seen if too many times with not-very-experienced shooters.

An 1100 in 20 gauge is a bit heavy--but has relatively light recoil.

I bought a Mossberg 20SA for my 13 year old daughter to duck hunt with under the theory that it would have less recoil than a 12 gauge. I was just about wrong. She shot it for a season or two - and liked it just fine to hunt with. But I realized pretty early on that the recoil was nearly that of my piggish 11-87 12 gauge. When I finally convinced her to shoot the 11-87, she was good moving to a 12 gauge (which ended up being a Mossberg 930 with its gas operation and pretty light weight - this has been a good gun for her).

One thing about the 20 though, it was very fast handling and light. I liked it for that reason, but for ducks, the increased payload of the 12 outweighed the weight penalty. Incidentally, I recall that function was 100%. Also note that the Mossberg and Weatherby offering are essentially the same gun. I believe the Weatherby may have slightly nicer finishing and options, along with a slightly higher price tag. I did try to get a longer (non-youth) stock for the Mossberg before I sold it, but Mossberg did not have that option available at that time, which was a little frustrating.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Easy answer for me — Benelli M2 20 gauge with the youth length Comfortech stock. Recoil is modest, but even more important it is a much lighter, easier handling shotgun. Here is one cut down with AO sights (still has the higher comb from when it had a T1 on the receiver).

Name:  8DC4505F-52B2-474E-804D-C322693B99A3.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  79.5 KB
    My interest is piqued...

User Tag List