Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Sen. Rand Paul Assault

When Rep Scalise got shot, one thing that was brought up was the reason he had a "detail" was his position in Congress, not that he was a Congressman. Paul probably doesn't have Secret Service coverage.

I haven't followed this story very closely, but I'm sort of surprised all the networks haven't done a big background expose on Paul's neighbor, or the neighborhood HOA, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiDevil View Post
    Here's an interesting question, so where was his U.S. Secret Service detail? He's supposed to have 24 hour protection.

This reminds me of U.S. Senator Harry Reid Dem. NV "tripping" in his house and breaking his nose and face.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...-his-bathroom/

Reminded of Los Angeles Sheriff Sherman Block as well.
    http://www.nytimes.com/1998/10/30/us...heriff-74.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    What position does he hold that would result in a Secret Service detail while he mows the lawn at his home?
    Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    When Rep Scalise got shot, one thing that was brought up was the reason he had a "detail" was his position in Congress, not that he was a Congressman. Paul probably doesn't have Secret Service coverage.

I haven't followed this story very closely, but I'm sort of surprised all the networks haven't done a big background expose on Paul's neighbor, or the neighborhood HOA, etc.
    The US Secret Service only provides protection to POTUS, VP, and their families. Past Presidents also get protection for a period of time depending on when they held office.

The US Capitol Police is tasked with protecting members of Congress and only certain legislative leaders get full-time security. Paul does not hold a leadership position like Majority Leader or Whip, so he probably doesn’t get security.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiDevil View Post
    Here's an interesting question, so where was his U.S. Secret Service detail? He's supposed to have 24 hour protection.

This reminds me of U.S. Senator Harry Reid Dem. NV "tripping" in his house and breaking his nose and face.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...-his-bathroom/

Reminded of Los Angeles Sheriff Sherman Block as well.
    http://www.nytimes.com/1998/10/30/us...heriff-74.html
    Unless something has changed, Senators and Representatives aren't normally covered by the Secret Service. Instead they have the Capitol police, and unless they are high in leadership they don't get a detail. When you think about it, that is how things should be in a Republic. But if these attacks keep up that probably will be changing.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    I'm not.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Unless something has changed, Senators and Representatives aren't normally covered by the Secret Service. Instead they have the Capitol police, and unless they are high in leadership they don't get a detail. When you think about it, that is how things should be in a Republic. But if these attacks keep up that probably will be changing.
    In my youth, l worked corporate security/ loss prevention for a major hotel chain (Hilton Hotels) and a couple of smaller high end independent properties in the Los Angeles area. Several VIPs whom visited our properties included President Clinton, Vice President Al Gore, Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich, half-a-dozen U.S. Senators, Congressman, and military brass Army and Air Force Generals. I never saw one of those VIPs without security. As Supervisor, one of my duties included meeting with the advance teams and providing information regarding the facility, employee records for background checks, and in several instances acting as a liason with local law enforcement.

The last VIP which I interacted with was Newt Gingrich. His security detail were D.C. Capitol Police and augmented at a public appearance by the California Highway Patrol, Riverside County Sheriffs Department, Riverside Police Department, and a private security company.

That was in the late 90s, so things may have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    I'm not.
    Yeah, if it had been Bernie or E Warren, we’d be talking 24/7 grist for mill. But we digress.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Yeah, if it had been Bernie or E Warren, we’d be talking 24/7 grist for mill. But we digress.
    Unless it made Bernie or Fauxcahontas look bad, in which case, crickets.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List