Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Mountain bikes

Site Supporter
    Is that a Jone frame or just the fork? I can't tell from the pics.

Jones frames were en vogue around here with the well-heeled bike hipsters for a while.

Chris

I ride a Trek Fuel EX8+. The traction from the 27.5+ tires is stupid good compared to the grip I got with 26x2.35. I run the air pressure at 16-18 pounds. The outer diameter of a 27.5+ is essentially the same as a 29er, so I couldn't see a clearance benefit by going with the niner. The weird part is the "basketball" sound the tires make when popping over rocks.

Here is a little crappy go pro footage from the Mount Herman trails in Monument, Colorado. Quick ride before work this summer. The sun was brutal...

Last edited by cornstalker; 11-16-2017 at 08:14 AM.

Hammertime

Mountain bikes

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Is that a Jone frame or just the fork? I can't tell from the pics.

Jones frames were en vogue around here with the well-heeled bike hipsters for a while.

Chris
    Jones steel Taiwan built diamond frame with his truss Fork.

I am not a hipster, but I have gone through a lot of single speeds over the years. This one is where I settled and I have happily ridden it six years and have yet to break it.

I personally feel Taiwanese production bikes are higher quality than many custom frame builders.

This bike rides on the firm side, and the fore aft stiffness of the truss is a real thing. Which is fine by me as I spend a lot of time in technical terrain.

I had the swoopy Jones “spaceframe” for a while and did not care for its flexibility. I have a friend who loves that feeling.

Last edited by Doc_Glock; 11-16-2017 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Jones steel Taiwan built diamond frame with his truss Fork.

I am not a hipster, but I have gone through a lot of single speeds over the years. This one is where I settled and I have happily ridden it six years and have yet to break it.

I personally feel Taiwanese production bikes are higher quality than many custom frame builders.

This bike rides on the firm side, and the fore aft stiffness of the truss is a real thing. Which is fine by me as I spend a lot of time in technical terrain.

I had the swoopy Jones “spaceframe” for a while and did not care for its flexibility. I have a friend who loves that feeling.

I have seriously toyed with the idea of a single speed over the years. This isn't helping.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    I have seriously toyed with the idea of a single speed over the years. This isn't helping.
    They are really a lot of fun. I like to have options in that I ride single speed with no suspension, and full suspension with all the gears, and have done so for years. I like all bikes, but I probably devote 80% of my time to the rigid SS.

Ping me if you want any tips or leads. @GJM has my number.

You and I started riding in the day when there were only rigid bikes, so I am sure you know how to handle that part of the equation well. Just get one geared properly and you are on your way.

Some things I like about SS:
    -I like to stand to climb. My ass never hurts at the end of a long day like it does on a sit and spin suspension bike.
    -It is only the air in the tires, me, and one gear versus the world.
    -It generally feels more athletic and favors a grinder versus a spinner.
    -Plenty of opportunity to get off, push, and enjoy the surroundings.
    -They are fine for older guys, just gear them smaller.
    -Almost nothing to maintain. I oil the chain when it gets noisy or I remember and add air to tires.
    -I feel like a kid.

This is the Glock 19 and entry level drug of single speeds.

http://surlybikes.com/bikes/karate_monkey_ss/bike_info

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    They are really a lot of fun. I like to have options in that I ride single speed with no suspension, and full suspension with all the gears, and have done so for years. I like all bikes, but I probably devote 80% of my time to the rigid SS.

Ping me if you want any tips or leads. @GJM has my number.

You and I started riding in the day when there were only rigid bikes, so I am sure you know how to handle that part of the equation well. Just get one geared properly and you are on your way.

Some things I like about SS:
    -I like to stand to climb. My ass never hurts at the end of a long day like it does on a sit and spin suspension bike.
    -It is only the air in the tires, me, and one gear versus the world.
    -It generally feels more athletic and favors a grinder versus a spinner.
    -Plenty of opportunity to get off, push, and enjoy the surroundings.
    -They are fine for older guys, just gear them smaller.
    -Almost nothing to maintain. I oil the chain when it gets noisy or I remember and add air to tires.
    -I feel like a kid.

This is the Glock 19 and entry level drug of single speeds.

http://surlybikes.com/bikes/karate_monkey_ss/bike_info
    With my back and foot injuries, I will likely never see dirt again on a bike. Spending four years riding forty hours a week as a ghetto bicycle cop, and mostly at night.....the urban riding is what my future will hold with bikes. That is where the single speed sort of appeals to me. I have big legs and calves now after all the injuries. I had monster oak tree legs and calves. I was never a spinner and liked turning big gears. When we did our classes training bike cops, it was always funny. We had some tremendous athletes on our bike team, so the students were told that the fat guy would pace he graduation ride. It was a total psych when they realized we were going to run the perimeter of the city and turning the big chain ring up front the entire time.....laid some serious pain and flunked out the folks that didn't realize they actually had to be able to really ride the bike to be in a bicycle unit.
    I have always wanted a single speed fixed gear bike for my bike messenger delusions of a dream job. Yet.....the logical side says brakes and at least the ability to coast. The single speed Mt. Bike is the logical extension of that.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    With my back and foot injuries, I will likely never see dirt again on a bike.
    Never say never. My best bud just came through half a decade of plantar issues and cervical nerve compression. He got on a consistent work out and rehab program the past year and is riding a bike on dirt again. Something he though he had said goodbye to.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I love the paint jobs on those.

My boy's green Ghost and my wife's blue Ghost.
    Decent starter bikes for both of them.

Attachment 21681

Attachment 21682
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List