Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Mountain bikes

Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    What kind of budget do you guys set for a bike?
    As a kid, I only had a single speed. A few years ago, I picked up a used Walmart special ($50) and used it to realize I enjoyed riding. The last couple years, life has been in the way, but I would like a "proper" bike now. I know I enjoy it, and I will have to find/make time to ride (even if just around the neighborhood).
    Reasonable quality bikes will start minimally at about $350, $500-$750 will get you a pretty solid performer, and $1000-$1500 opens up a number of high-quality options. Of course bikes in the $4000-10000 range are pretty commonplace.

The difference between a Walmart bike and a bike made by a quality bike company will be pretty substantial. Let me know if you have other questions.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Let's call it....not talented, and starting fresh, for a riding style. My last mountain bike was an old 26 inch that I broke essentially everything on but the elastomer shock (somehow that survived). A lot of that was just getting a taste and starting to ride trails, the other part was 15+ year old components with no maintenence.

I've come a long way in the maintenence department, but haven't had an opportunity to ride trails in several years.
    How tall are you? The frame geometry of 29er bikes seems more suitable for riders over 5' 10". Dependent on your budget there are quite a few bikes that can handle 27.5+ and 29er wheels so if you ever wanted to swap you won't need a new bike.

There are World Cup Downhill bikes riding on 29er wheels – no worries about them being adequate for a variety of trail conditions / riding styles.

Site Supporter
    I'm just a shade under 6 foot. Budget wise I'll be sticking with Trek - I get a great deal on bikes due to the training they made available since I started working there. Not sure if I'll get into the wheel swapping game, as that's a nice smacker on the wallet for a set of wheels and a cog; much better deal to buy the finished product with less headaches.

The Trek Roscoe 8 looks to be a lot of bike for the money.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    used to watch Mrs. GJM race professionally.!!
    I need to meet her.

Mantis Flying V and a Cannondale Tandem. The Mantis is my baby. Most new to this won't get the significance of a hand built Richard Cunningham bike.
    I get it and we also have a Cannondale Tandem. Really want a Ventana for that role though.

Who remembers this from the 90's. GT's first thermoplastic DH bike. I had to pull some strings to get a frame, as only Mike King and Steve Peat had them, IIRC. It was crazy to think that at the time, this cost more than my KX250 with a Procircuit motor and Race Tech suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Who remembers this from the 90's. GT's first thermoplastic DH bike. I had to pull some strings to get a frame, as only Mike King and Steve Peat had them, IIRC. It was crazy to think that at the time, this cost more than my KX250 with a Procircuit motor and Race Tech suspension.

I remember those. I hit my big (for me) speeds on the Mammoth Mountain Kamikaze on a GT RTS-1 that was basically set up as a twin to Julie Furtado's bike.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I remember those. I hit my big (for me) speeds on the Mammoth Mountain Kamikaze on a GT RTS-1 that was basically set up as a twin to Julie Furtado's bike.
    This Lobo's rear end was not much stiffer than a wet noodle, but it was the best at the time

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    I’m riding a Giant Talon 3. I thought I had pics of it but couldn’t find any. I’ll get some tomorrow

Attachment 21641

I usually ride in Usery Park in the East Valley. This is Pass Mpintain as the sun is going down.

Attachment 21642

I can meet new friends. He caused a hiker, biker, horse jam the othe day.
    My son got bit by one riding Cedar Hill state park in 2008. It was dry very fortunately...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Hammertime

User Tag List