Page 22 of 39 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Mountain bikes

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    It depended on the model and timeframe. Klein liked to use proprietary oversized BB shells with pressed in aircraft bearings. But not always. Their highest end bikes might have that, but less expensive models (still talking pre-Trek days) might not. I believe companies made conversion BBs, but I could be misremembering. They also played silly games of that sort with their headsets.

That said, AFAIK, all of the Trek-era bikes had conventional BBs and headsets.

Chris
    This would have been 1997 when we did the 24 Hours of Canaan (so his bike might've been a year or two old at that point). I'm almost positive that his bike was pre-Trek because I remember talking to him about the non-standard parts. He would not have had a low-end bike. Now that you mention it, I do think it had press-fit bearings and might have been oversized, probably to provide more stiffness.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    It depended on the model and timeframe. Klein liked to use proprietary oversized BB shells with pressed in aircraft bearings. But not always. Their highest end bikes might have that, but less expensive models (still talking pre-Trek days) might not. I believe companies made conversion BBs, but I could be misremembering. They also played silly games of that sort with their headsets.

That said, AFAIK, all of the Trek-era bikes had conventional BBs and headsets.

Chris
    My Pulse II had the pressed bottom bracket which was ultimately why I stopped riding it because I couldn't find parts. Even their later model Adriot hardtails had some type of unique, proprietary headset/steerer tube. The later Attitude models had traditional spec bottom brackets and headtubes the best that I recall.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MD7305 View Post
    My Pulse II had the pressed bottom bracket which was ultimately why I stopped riding it because I couldn't find parts. Even their later model Adriot hardtails had some type of unique, proprietary headset/steerer tube. The later Attitude models had traditional spec bottom brackets and headtubes the best that I recall.
    I just did a quick check and it appears the Pulse II was pre-Trek. Did it have internal or external cable routing?

My memory is foggy, did some of the higher end Klein production stay in Washington for a couple years after Trek buying them out?

BTW, I mistakenly said I had a 97 Pulse. Mine was a 98, I purchased it in 97 right when the 98 models were hitting the showroom floors. Mine was most certainly a Trek version with standard headset/BB and external cable routing.

https://www.kleinspainted.com/ appears to carry all of the proprietary bearings and parts to keep those old frames rolling.

Chris

Hammertime
    I think this is my favorite Rock Bike ever.

Name:  D7F083B6-9C5B-4935-916B-73C73029D401.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  94.0 KB

Site Supporter
    More good stuff from Danny:

I'm itching to ride -- loaded up the bike but then a rain storm moved in.

It's Spring! Any of you folks getting any riding in? With COVID19 it's the only activity I'm able to do.
    Name:  IMG_20200326_193132.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  94.8 KB

What kinda hip packs are you guys using? I have a Dakine Hotlap which has pretty decent storage and an H2O bladder but most of my rides require only a small bottle. I've been just stowing a bottle in the pack but it's bulky and access is difficult. That coupled with not having the greatest bottle cage access on my bike leaves me looking for a hip pack designed for bottles. Currently the CamelBak Podium Flow has my interest. My concern is if I can stow a compact sized handgun in it. Any suggestions?

Site Supporter
    It's Spring! Any of you folks getting any riding in? With COVID19 it's the only activity I'm able to do.

What kinda hip packs are you guys using? I have a Dakine Hotlap which has pretty decent storage and an H2O bladder but most of my rides require only a small bottle. I've been just stowing a bottle in the pack but it's bulky and access is difficult. That coupled with not having the greatest bottle cage access on my bike leaves me looking for a hip pack designed for bottles. Currently the CamelBak Podium Flow has my interest. My concern is if I can stow a compact sized handgun in it. Any suggestions?
    I haven't been doing much mountain biking the last couple years. No reason why, just haven't. I seem to go through this phase every few years. This time of year is the worst for it because it rains almost once a week so the trails never really dry out properly.

Anyway, I like the looks of that Camelback bag. I have a couple hydration backpacks, but I think that Podium Flow would be good for non-biking activities too. What size gun are you talking about? The hip bag doesn't look like it'll have a lot of space, especially if you put other stuff in it.

I also wonder about support. How stable will it be with a full water bottle, some "stuff", and a gun. Will it drag down? That's more of an issue for folks with "GoneAss Disease", but still a concern.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Name:  IMG_20200326_193132.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  94.8 KB

Trails should be dry enough around here to finally go ride sometime this week.

I use a small saddle bag by Topeak and a camelback with a few pockets. I use a J frame, appendix, using a DarkStarGear holster when riding.

Hammertime
    Sound on

Recommend a 29er FS

In the market for my first 29er FS. Current bike is a 29er hardtail from a big box store that's been modified over the years. I'm 6'3" and I've taco'd factory wheels on my last two bikes due to size and torque. Cross-country and trail, no hard core DH.

Started looking at bikes this week and had serious sticker shock at what's considered normal prices these days. I can't spend $4000 on a MTB.

What brands are the go-to names for good quality without paying for the name? I've looked at Canyon Bikes (mail order), Scott, Trek and Santa Cruz.

User Tag List