Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Mountain bikes

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    A huge passion for me for a lot of life until I got hurt at the cop job. Hit 55 mph in the daytime and 45 at night on the Mammoth Mountain Kamikazi Downhill. Followed the race circuit, and used to watch Mrs. GJM race professionally. I just started riding a little again lately. My bikes floored the shop guys in retro cool factor. Mantis Flying V and a Cannondale Tandem. The Mantis is my baby. Most new to this won't get the significance of a hand built Richard Cunningham bike.
    I remember the elevated chainstay fad back in the early 90s. I lusted after one, but by the time I was ready to buy another bike, they had passed.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Damn I feel old.
    My first mountain bike was a chromoly Takara way back in 1981.
    My first one was some non-name steel bike back in '83. It had Bullmoose-style handlebars, so it was cool.

Chris

I still have my first mountain bike, a Huffy Stone Mountain. It's a textured gray splatter paint with neon green accents. Probably got it in 1990 or '91. Although a bit faded and weathered, it still features a "pretty cool, huh?" Rainier Dry bumper sticker. It was in the attic storage in the garage at my parent house and I found it when they passed away a couple years ago. It needs a little TLC though.

I bought a Raleigh about 15 years ago and still ride it quite a bit, mostly with the kids. I've always wanted to be more into it but I'm just not. I trail ride a little here and there but nothing major. I suspect having the body of Shrek doesn't help.

Random internet picture of the Huffy Stone Mountain.
    Attachment 21502

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I'm 6'4". Found a custom enormous Kona hardtail frame built for Ryan Trebon on Ebay and built it up from components quite a few years ago. Pretty much like an AR built on stripped receivers. It actually fits me, and I love it. Loved riding it in SoCal. Hate the flatness here in Houston.
    Since we're going all retro, I saved and bought a Rockhopper Comp at the end of eighth grade. Rode it through high school, then it became my main wheels in college, even after I got to the point where I had a car while going to school (lived on campus).

I bought a Stumpjumper M2 in the fall after I graduated. I test rode every manufacturer's hardtail that summer, and the Specialized was the best. Most of the parts have been replaced at least once, but the frame, crankset and derailleurs are still going strong. There's a solid fork ready to go on it soon and make it a commuter bike for cooler weather.

A bike I wish I still had is a Schwinn Stingray. Yellow with the ape hanger bars and top tube shifter. It was a present for my fourth birthday. It's a wonder my junk still works after the jumps I missed with that shifter. It would have been money during the years when I lived near the beach in SoCal.

Oh, yeah. At my size and weight, I eat drivetrain parts about twice as fast as my normal size friends.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I had a early '70's Yamaha full suspension 20" bicycle.
    The thing weighed more than some motorcycles do today, but damn it was cool back in the day.

It looked like this one:
    Attachment 21505
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    My first bike was a GT Tequesta that I bought with berry picking money in 1989.
    It's a great sport -- I currently have a 2006 Stumpjumper FSR that has been a solid ride. I don't ride as much as I used to, but it still makes me feel like a kid.

(Tried to take the upside down photo out, didn't work -- oh well, enjoy...)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by idahojess; 11-10-2017 at 12:05 AM.

Not as old as Dagga Boy's rides but here's my old school 26" Trek Top Fuel after getting a new lease on life this year.
    Name:  Fuel in shop.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  77.1 KB

Here's my son hitting one of the more rugged trails in Arkansas with me a month ago. He's been riding for a long time but not been on the more advanced trails before. He only wrecked once and didn't even need stitches!
    Name:  Ethan downhill.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  96.0 KB
    Last edited by Lomshek; 11-10-2017 at 12:31 AM.

Specialized Crave SL 29er, rigid fork. Originally Single Speed, but I converted it to 1x10.

Here's a quick GoPro helmet cam shot from my 13 year old boy's first ever mountainbike trail ride.
    This is a easy single track around the perimeter of a city park in Lubbock, Texas.
    I'm cruising my Ellsworth showing him the way, he's huffing and puffing along behind me on his Ghost.

"For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter

Mountain bikes

You’re giving hope that I’ll be able to put one together before spring gets here. Current top selection is a Trek Fuel Ex. Will be riding in the Midwest a lot, with the western states next summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jeep45238; 11-14-2017 at 07:02 PM.

My ride is a fully rigid Independent Fabrications Deluxe 29er. I think I’ve posted pics of it here before – don’t we have these mountain bike threads every couple of months?

I’m currently borrowing this bad boy:

Name:  CAA8616C-FAEA-4772-93C1-5F93EF0910CC.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  52.1 KB

So far I can say that I’m not a fan of the lower 27” wheel bottom bracket, the 1x drivetrain is pretty sweet, and dropper posts are weird. I’m planning on picking up a dual suspension bike next year and this ride has given me food for thought.

I’ve picked some side work as a mechanic again. Forgot how much I enjoyed that, especially on higher end bikes.
    @JodyH which Ellsworth do you have? I’m kinda sorta looking at an Epiphany.
    Last edited by jc000; 11-14-2017 at 08:36 PM.

User Tag List