Page 14 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Mountain bikes

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    I still haven't pursued the brakes noise further. I just don't use them... Lol.

I have no aspirations of becoming a mountain bike YouTuber, but here is a quick video of some of the trails I ride in the morning before work. The first two segments were recon on new trails. The first is a chunky black trail called the Black Pearl. The last two segments were fun rips down trails I am familiar with.

https://gopro.com/v/5NLDwLEyPDRe

This was my wife’s 3rs time off pavement, and her first time in the lead (she accidentally went off the green and onto the red race once). My shop happened across a Liv Embolden 2 that fits her, with remote lockout on the fork and a dropper post.

Our green loop is basically smooth rolling hiking, our intermediate has some loose rock sections with roots, and our red is filled with roots and creek crossings.

If you have a trek bike with a Blendr stem, the go-pro case and the Blendr bases interface like they were made for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good bye, old friend…

Name:  323DE69F-36DC-4BE3-80FF-2ACBB7A17088.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  36.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by jc000; 06-29-2018 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    Good bye, old friend…

#onebyrevolution
    #goodriddance

Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    Good bye, old friend…

Name:  323DE69F-36DC-4BE3-80FF-2ACBB7A17088.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  36.2 KB
    They come, and they go.

I am currently running 1995 Shimano Deore XTR on the drop bar MTB, 2012 Shimano Tiagra on the modern utility-cyclocross bike, and 1978 Campagnolo Gran Sport (last hurrah of the original 1954 group) on the go-fast vintage roadbike.

We use them until they stop working for us, and then we move on.
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 06-30-2018 at 12:21 AM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    Except my road bikes and my forays into singlespeed and fixed gear mountain bikes, I've been 1x since 2008. It wasn't even a thing when I did it, I just didn't see the need for the granny and big rings with 11x32 clusters and a 32t middle ring. Granted, most of my riding is in the rolling hills of NoVA, but with gear clusters coming out with 42t cogs, 1x is even more practical 10 years later.

Chris

Anybody have a Trek Stache or Kona Honzo? Looking to add a hardtail and I like both of these bikes but I've only ridden a Stache. I got rid of my hardtail last year, it was a Niner SIR9 set up with a 120mm SID. I think long travel, slacked geometry hardtail are a blast and really versatile.
    Last edited by MD7305; 06-30-2018 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MD7305 View Post
    Anybody have a Trek Stache or Kona Honzo? Looking to add a hardtail and I like both of these bikes but I've only ridden a Stache. I got rid of my hardtail last year, it was a Niner SIR9 set up with a 120mm SID. I think long travel, slacked geometry hardtail are a blast and really versatile.
    I agree completely.

I’ve ridden Honzos in the past but I don’t currently own one. However the hardtail I build up this spring is a Kona Wozo; a fatbike frame that pretty closely replicates the Honzo’s geometry. Based on my experience with them both, I think that’s pretty spot on. FWIW, I’ve been riding it as a trail hardtail with a 29+ wheel set (3” tires).

I haven’t ridden a Stache (or a Full Stache) yet, but plus tire compatibility with a modern trail geo has me pining to try them both. If I hadn’t wanted true 26” fat tire capability for shoulder season riding, I’d very likely have gone with the Stache outright.

FWIW, I’ve slightly slackened the HTA of the Wozo using an angle headset and by adding some fork travel. Both with positive results, although I’m still tinkering. It has been a fun project and I’ve been having a blast with it. (Don't mind the cat photo bomb. )

Bumping this back up. Hoping to pick up a new bike in the next month or so. Looking to spend 600ish. I know, not exactly big money. I have a Trek 4300 with 26” on her. It is okay but needs some work. I am looking for a faster bike.

I live on dirt roads but do like to ride to work. Mix of dirt/asphalt. Also have a lot of trails out by me. Loose dirt/sand/mud. Lil bit of everything. I am debating between a 29er and a plus size tire bike. Can anyone help me out?? Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    Bumping this back up. Hoping to pick up a new bike in the next month or so. Looking to spend 600ish. I know, not exactly big money. I have a Trek 4300 with 26” on her. It is okay but needs some work. I am looking for a faster bike.

I live on dirt roads but do like to ride to work. Mix of dirt/asphalt. Also have a lot of trails out by me. Loose dirt/sand/mud. Lil bit of everything. I am debating between a 29er and a plus size tire bike. Can anyone help me out?? Thanks guys.
    $600 will be pretty tough. I know it sounds like sounds like a significant amount of money, but we're talking about a complex mechanical machine that can transport you for (pretty much) unlimited distances, and can support a grown humans weight as it bashes and rolls over all manner of terrain.

If you are severely restricted to that budget I would recommend getting something used. I see a lot of good offerings on Facebook and Craigslist that would fit within your range in my area, and would certainly suggest checking out what turns up in yours.

As I commonly do, I would recommend a 29" bike, rigid if possible, or a cyclocross bike (basically a durable road bike with knobby tires). I'd steer away from a plus tire bike. I think they are gimmicky, heavy, and more of a fun speciality bike than something you'll want to put a ton of miles on. But then again what do I know!

Recognizing this is nearly twice your budget, I think this is about the perfect bike for someone looking for a highly capable ride that will be efficient and won't break the bank: http://www.konaworld.com/unit_x.cfm. Best news is that you could run 29 or 27+ wheels on it if you really want to have both options available.

Site Supporter
    I concur with what JC000 said. However, unless you know how to evaluate a used bike, especially if it has shocks, hydraulic brakes, etc, I'd steer clear of used unless it's from a trusted seller. However, if you can wait a couple months, bikes will start to go on end-of-season clearance sale and you can stretch your dollars further. Also, if you have a Performance Bike nearby, their house brand bikes are a pretty good deal. They won't give you any trailhead bragging rights, but they'll ride and handle well. FWIW, I've been rocking an Access (Performance house brand) frame for the last 6-7 years and love it. I got it on clearance for less than $100.

A cross or gravel bike would be a good option if you're not doing any hardcore offroading. Gravel bikes are similar to Cross bikes except they tend to be a bit more mild mannered handling-wise. Get something that can handle up to 40c tires and you won't miss not having a true mountain bike most of the time.

Chris

User Tag List