Page 11 of 39 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Mountain bikes

I’ve been looking at the Trek Fuel EX 8 lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holy shit, gun guys that like mountain bikes? I'm in heaven. I ride a 2016 Giant Trance 2 27.5. Tear up the northern Virginia single track (my backyard borders 50+ miles of it) with my partner in crime, a 4 year old black lab named Penny. She follows me for hours at a time.

On the topic of guns and mountain bikes, does anyone else carry while they ride? I pack a G19 AIWB on all my rides, but I'm looking to transition to a DA/SA gun for peace of mind given the aggressive way i ride. Thinking P30 or P07. Any thoughts?

Attachment 26655Name:  20180510_181612.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  101.3 KBName:  Screenshot_2018-05-27-21-11-21_kindlephoto-198619494.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  68.0 KBName:  Screenshot_2018-05-27-21-15-38_kindlephoto-198842102.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  97.9 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaseN View Post
    Holy shit, gun guys that like mountain bikes? I'm in heaven. I ride a 2016 Giant Trance 2 27.5. Tear up the northern Virginia single track (my backyard borders 50+ miles of it) with my partner in crime, a 4 year old black lab named Penny. She follows me for hours at a time.

On the topic of guns and mountain bikes, does anyone else carry while they ride? I pack a G19 AIWB on all my rides, but I'm looking to transition to a DA/SA gun for peace of mind given the aggressive way i ride. Thinking P30 or P07. Any thoughts?
    The first pic looks like Difficult Run or the CCC trail.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by nightstalker865 View Post
    I’ve been looking at the Trek Fuel EX 8 lately.

Get the XT version, SRAM disk brakes suck. The Top Fuel 8 is comparable, minus the dropper post, for less money and an inch or so less travel.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    The first pic looks like Difficult Run or the CCC trail.

Chris
    Excellent eye. #1 is CCT in Lake Fairfax Park. #2 is difficult run approaching browns mill, #3 is colvin run between hunter mill and rt 7. #2 was last Saturday morning after Friday night's monsoon. The water behind me is literally the (usually gravel) last bit of difficult run trail on a ride to meet some buddies at Vienna Inn for lunch and a little W&OD brew tour. Pedaled through water above my bottom bracket for a good 3 miles, passed two snapping turtles swimming along with me, first time leaving wake on a mountain bike!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaseN View Post
    Excellent eye. #1 is CCT in Lake Fairfax Park. #2 is difficult run approaching browns mill, #3 is colvin run between hunter mill and rt 7. #2 was last Saturday morning after Friday night's monsoon. The water behind me is literally the (usually gravel) last bit of difficult run trail on a ride to meet some buddies at Vienna Inn for lunch and a little W&OD brew tour. Pedaled through water above my bottom bracket for a good 3 miles, passed two snapping turtles swimming along with me, first time leaving wake on a mountain bike!
    Cool. I ride DR fairly often since my office is nearby. Well, I used to. Now that I work from home, I don't get out to the office much.

W&OD brewery tour? Nope, no clue what you're talking about at all.

Here's a pic of me on the DR trail back in the 90s.

Name:  IMG06Az.JPG
Views: 322
Size:  63.4 KB

Chris

Mountain bikes

Thanks for the advice on looking for an XT equipped model of the Fuel EX. I raced XC back in the late 90’s-early 2000’s and have always ridden hard tails. I’ve decided to get back into it as a hobby and I’m looking towards a FS bike, this time around. I know the technology is vastly better than what FS bikes were out two decades ago. Looking forward to seeing how the new bikes shake out. 29 or 27.5 is really a big decision for for me right now.

I’ve always ran XT or XTR components, so I’m well aware of their quality. I’ll look at both options, but I’m biased towards the XT stuff going in.

Last edited by nightstalker865; 05-28-2018 at 09:03 PM.

Did you guys see Shimano XTR 12sp is on it’s way?

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/xtr-9100...so-secret.html

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    Did you guys see Shimano XTR 12sp is on it’s way?

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/xtr-9100...so-secret.html
    Meh. I'm still running 9spd on my mountain bike (and square taper cranks that use nearly indestructible bottom brackets). It works and chains don't break like they seem to do with my 10sp and 11sp friends. Higher gear density makes *some* sense on road bikes where a wide range and small jumps between gears is beneficial, but not so much on mountain bikes IMO. I run a 32t ring with 11-34t cluster and seldom use the 11t cog. The 34t cog is low enough that I have difficulty keeping the front pinned without the rear spinning. I guess I'm just weary of the bicycle arms race.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Meh. I'm still running 9spd on my mountain bike (and square taper cranks that use nearly indestructible bottom brackets). It works and chains don't break like they seem to do with my 10sp and 11sp friends. Higher gear density makes *some* sense on road bikes where a wide range and small jumps between gears is beneficial, but not so much on mountain bikes IMO. I run a 32t ring with 11-34t cluster and seldom use the 11t cog. The 34t cog is low enough that I have difficulty keeping the front pinned without the rear spinning. I guess I'm just weary of the bicycle arms race.

Chris
    I’m still running 9sp myself – 44/32/22 against an 11-32. That being said, having worked on bikes for many years both as an amateur and as a “pro”, front derailleur suck. I definitely welcome the move towards 1x drivetrains and will plan on all my future builds being set up that way.

I would tend to agree that 11sp seems to be pushing the boundaries of utility / reliability. But as a lifelong Shimano fanboy I’m excited to see what they bring to the table for 12sp. XTR has always performed flawlessly for me and I’m guessing they didn’t hold out this long to put out something substandard.

FWIW they’re also coming out with a new 11sp 10-45 cassette which looks promising

User Tag List