Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Mountain bikes

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I have heard the term but I have very limited knowledge about what is being made these days when it comes to bikes. There are some folks here with lots of knowledge on this subject.

I am looking for a new bike that will be exclusively used on national forest roads. No log jumping or rock bouncing, just cruising forest roads, mostly those at are closed to vehicles. Lots of gravel, lots of up and down, some fairly rutted and washed out, but not real trail riding, all these places have been graded at some point in the past. None of the advanced suspension systems for "jumping" or going airborne are required. I am happy to get off and lift it over a log in the road, would never jump one.

Is a conventional mountain bike like a basic Trek 5, 7, etc. still the best choice for this application?
    From your description, I think a hardtail mountain bike would be your best option.

“Gravel bike” covers a range of styles from racing to bikepacking, but in general it’s a drop-bar bike with relaxed geometry that can fit tires at least 40 mm wide. I have one. It’s great for rural New England dirt road and mixed-surface riding. For logging roads, jeep trails, double track, etc. I think a flat-bar bike with even bigger tires works better.

A short-travel full-suspension mountain bike would also work well, but that’s more money and weight.

Tires can make a huge difference. If mud isn’t common where you ride, a set of fast-rolling hard-surface tires can be a great upgrade. I’ve got Continental RaceKings on my mountain bike and have been impressed with them.
    Last edited by peterb; 03-28-2022 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post

I do get a bit annoyed with mountain bike marketing. The ads are all young guys getting big air and doing insane drops. What I actually see around here is families and older adults enjoying a quiet ride in the woods.
    QFT. I’ve been out 3x this week alone (daylight saving and the advent of actual 65+ spring weather makes post-work rides doable), and I’ve only seen the same moms and daughters and old guys (by old, I mean clearly older than me, and I’m way closer to 54 than 53 at this point) on the trails—and I’m riding the rocks n roots by the river runs on the fatty right now.

Honestly, I think people don’t even really take to biking until their joints start to get tired of more youthful pursuits—even the bike club shredders on the big hills around here are in their 30s and 40s. Might be a money issue, too: carbon and suspension requires discretionary income, as we all know.

But I digress. Back to pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Honestly, I think people don’t even really take to biking until their joints start to get tired of more youthful pursuits—even the bike club shredders on the big hills around here are in their 30s and 40s.
    Shit. I'm doing it wrong...again.

Started mountain biking at 12 and picked up running at 40.

I'm about to turn 49.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post

I'm about to turn 49.

Chris
    Early adopter. You probably bought the first G42/K6S/Cobra/whatever when it came out, too.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Honestly, I think people don’t even really take to biking until their joints start to get tired of more youthful pursuits—even the bike club shredders on the big hills around here are in their 30s and 40s. Might be a money issue, too: carbon and suspension requires discretionary income, as we all know.:
    It’s encouraging to see the growth of NICA(high school MTB riding & racing) to get more kids riding. The leagues work with sponsors to get bikes & gear for kids who can’t afford them.

As with other hobbies, you can spend big money on bike stuff. Nice gear is nice, but you don’t have to spend a fortune to have fun on two wheels. I’ve had good luck buying used on eBay and Craigslist.

Site Supporter
    Early adopter. You probably bought the first G42/K6S/Cobra/whatever when it came out, too.

Heh.

Actually at the time, I didn't know what a mountain bike was other than a "10 speed with tires like a bmx bike". I was outgrowing my BMX and the next logical phase was an adult 10 speed road bike. But, I like tooling around the local trails and dirt roads, for which a skinny tired bike is poorly suited. A buddy got one and it was all downhill (no pun intended) from there.

It wasn't until a few years later that I learned mountain biking was a real sport (by finding a copy of Mountain Bike Action) and several years after that before I met real mountain bikers. I was a senior in high school before I met anyone else my age who rode (did some group ride shit with the "adults" in the local club before that).

Now that I've lived in the same place for 20 years and have ridden pretty much every trail system in the region, I don't ride much anymore because it has gotten boring. I'd rather run those trails now (or plod along leisurely as is my habit these days).

Chris

Now that I've lived in the same place for 20 years and have ridden pretty much every trail system in the region, I don't ride much anymore because it has gotten boring. I'd rather run those trails now (or plod along leisurely as is my habit these days).

Chris
    Which is why some folks enjoy taking their drop-bar bikes on their favorite mountain bike trails. The challenge of “underbiking” makes it interesting again.

Me, I’m at the point where increasing my chances of falling does not sound like a good time. :-)

This year I'm exclusively riding a hard tail, coming from a full suspension trail bike. It's been a blast! I've had so much fun with it. For me there's just something about riding a hard tail. It's definitely"under biking" compared to what I've been riding for the last several years but I've really enjoyed the difference. Folks getting in to the sport shouldn't feel obligated to buy into some ridiculously expensive FS carbon bike. Get a medium-lower priced hard tail and set a goal to wear that bike out!

I'm about to turn 49.

Chris

QFT. I’ve been out 3x this week alone (daylight saving and the advent of actual 65+ spring weather makes post-work rides doable), and I’ve only seen the same moms and daughters and old guys (by old, I mean clearly older than me, and I’m way closer to 54 than 53 at this point) on the trails—and I’m riding the rocks n roots by the river runs on the fatty right now.

Honestly, I think people don’t even really take to biking until their joints start to get tired of more youthful pursuits—even the bike club shredders on the big hills around here are in their 30s and 40s. Might be a money issue, too: carbon and suspension requires discretionary income, as we all know.

But I digress. Back to pics:

Totem Polar; thanks for the incredible pics!

I started mountain biking in my 30s after a physical therapist told me to give up running due to low-back issues. I was never a good runner.. Still, I don't think it was quite what my PT had in mind.

First bike was a Specialized Crossroads hybrid. I quickly threw on Panaracer Smoke Dart 700x45c tires (I was riding 29er way before it was a thing!)...that bike almost killed me, but I learned. First serious mtb was a '94 Fat City, followed by a '96 Fat City, followed by Ellsworth, several Turners, and some factory and custom hard tails. I was never a racer, am not particularly fast, but hold my own for my age.

I turned 63 in January and still think that mountain biking is some of the most fun that you can have with your clothes on (in addition to shooting of course!). I'll keep doing it as long as it's fun and I'm able...

-Rainman

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    First serious mtb was a '94 Fat City, followed by a '96 Fat City
    Man, talk about blasts from the past. I remember when those were the new hotness.

Chris

User Tag List