Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 LastLast

Thread: Mountain bikes

Site Supporter
    Rocky Mounts is having a 20 percent off sale -- I like their racks. I have a monorail hitch rack that goes off and on pretty easily with just a bolt, rather than the proprietary things that seem to be more complicated than a bolt.

Stuff is a lot more spendy than it was a few years ago. I figured I'd post in this thread rather than the memorial day sales thread.

https://rockymounts.com/

Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    Rocky Mounts is having a 20 percent off sale -- I like their racks. I have a monorail hitch rack that goes off and on pretty easily with just a bolt, rather than the proprietary things that seem to be more complicated than a bolt.

Stuff is a lot more spendy than it was a few years ago. I figured I'd post in this thread rather than the memorial day sales thread.

Thanks! I have a couple thru axle fork mounts in my Tacoma that need replacing. That discount will be helpful.

Site Supporter
    I splurged and bought a SRAM GX AXS upgrade kit at my local bike shop. That's the electronic rear derailleur and shifter.

(Hey, it was cheaper than a quality upper, and less than half the cost of a new Python.)

It went on pretty easily, and has a very precise adjustment process. I'm really impressed by how much quieter my bike is. Everything seems well aligned and there's no bad influences from the suspension travel on the cable. Probably less creaking noises from the housing, too.

Not cheap, but really nice. I now have no cables on the bike, with both the seatpost and the shifting being "AXSed" out.

Snow riding options besides Fatbike

I'd like to ride some during the winter, but don't want to fork over $2k for a fatbike. I did have 29er studded beaded tires years back, but they're a huge PITA to get on/off.

Is there any kind of wrap around that's easy on/off for traction on covered trails? Recommendations appreciated.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post

We've been using a Monorail for a couple years too. Absolutely zero complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by 2xAGM114 View Post
    I'd like to ride some during the winter, but don't want to fork over $2k for a fatbike. I did have 29er studded beaded tires years back, but they're a huge PITA to get on/off.

Is there any kind of wrap around that's easy on/off for traction on covered trails? Recommendations appreciated.
    Buy a set of decent quality machine-made wheels and keep your studded tires on those. 45North are good; Nokian are better. I run Continental because my bro-in-law gave me a fresh set. 120 stud are totally adequate.

If you ride city or town roads on the way to the trails, be sure to clean the salt off of your bike or it will kill it pretty quickly.
    I've stuck mine in the shower when it was too cold outside to run the hose.
    https://nixfrixshun.com/nixfrixshun-...cle-chainlube/
    works pretty great on the drivetrain in really cold weather environments.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    I've stuck mine in the shower when it was too cold outside to run the hose.
    Oh man, I am stealing this idea.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Oh man, I am stealing this idea.

Name:  Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 9.08.00 PM.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  31.5 KB

Early iteration of the winter bike, but you get the idea. Put down a towel so the spikes don't eff up the porcelain in yer tub.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Name:  Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 9.08.00 PM.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  31.5 KB

Early iteration of the winter bike, but you get the idea. Put down a towel so the spikes don't eff up the porcelain in yer tub.
    D-I-V-O-R-C-E...

Little bit of a necrobump looking for some advice on where to go from here. A couple years ago I used my Expertvoice discount to pick up a pair of Diamondback bikes for my wife and I. We never really rode them. Part of the issue for me was that I got too large a bike. I got the XL frame sized for 6'1" to 6'5". I'm 6'1" but I have more torso length than leg length and I couldn't even straddle the frame flat-footed. The other thing that happened was that the right side crank arm threads stripped at the pedal. Due to those issues, I ended up just selling the bike (an Overdrive with 27.5" wheels) for $150 having fully disclosed the issue with the crank.

My 3 kids ride their bikes almost daily and often ask me to ride with them. For this reason, I'd like to get another bike. I don't want to spend a ton, and I don't mind buying used. I'd anticipate most riding being in the subdivision, but we do apparently have some pretty decent trails nearby (Chicopee). I rode bikes a ton up through my teen years, but never had anything beyond a Huffy. Still, I earned my BSA cycling merit badge with that Huffy mountain bike, which included 2-10mi, 2-15mi, 2-25mi, and a 50mi trip on NE GA backroads.

Any recommendations on how to go about picking up another bike? I've been perusing the local FB classifieds. Stuff there is kinda all over the board though. Someone with a rusty 20+ year old Trek or Specialized still wants $400+. I was hoping to get into something for under $200.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

User Tag List