Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Mountain bikes

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    I put new Shimano factory pads on the rear. They were great for the first couple of rides, now they sound like a spoon in the garbage disposal. Any ideas how to fix that?
    I don't see any alignment issues and there is no scoring on the rotors.
    Did you clean your rotors? When I change pads (and periodically in the life of the pads) I wipe down the rotors with denatured alcohol.

Also, being new pads, you may need to bed them in. I do that by getting the bike up to speed and braking hard a few times in a row.

Since you've already "used" the pads on presumably unclean rotors (not dirty mind you, just not "clean"), I'd remove the pads, give them a cleaning with alcohol (whether or not *you* need "cleaning" with alcohol at the same time is up to you), clean the rotors, reassemble, then bed the pads as described above and see if it resolves the issue.

Chris

Thanks for the reply, Chris.
    I did indeed clean the rotor with 90% rubbing alcohol. Wet a rag and wiped them down until the black stuff quit coming off. I will try seating them in more. With the rides I have been on I would expect them to be seated. Maybe I will take them apart and clean them up again.

I might try scuffing the friction surface with some sandpaper and chamfer the edges, then break them in again.
    Last edited by cornstalker; 05-25-2018 at 06:34 AM.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the reply, Chris.
    I did indeed clean the rotor with 90% rubbing alcohol. Wet a rag and wiped them down until the black stuff quit coming off. I will try seating them in more. With the rides I have been on I would expect them to be seated. Maybe I will take them apart and clean them up again.

I might try scuffing the friction surface with some sandpaper and chamfer the edges, then break them in again.
    I would have expected that to be sufficient then. Are the pads the same type of friction material? Semi-metallic pads are noisier than organic pads.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I would have expected that to be sufficient then. Are the pads the same type of friction material? Semi-metallic pads are noisier than organic pads.

Chris
    It doesn't say on the package. I presume they are organic or maybe even ceramic based on this quote from the product page on Chain Reaction Cycles.

Shimano has adopted Ice-Technologies into their disc brake pad range to provide the cooling technology required for consistent performance. These Shimano Acera-Altus (B01S) Disc Brake Pads produce less noise than metal pads and offer increased modulation.
    I should tear them back down. I guess it is possible that I picked up some grit in there and am over complicating this like I have a tendency to do.
    Last edited by cornstalker; 05-25-2018 at 06:57 AM.

Site Supporter
    It doesn't say on the package. I presume they are organic or maybe even ceramic based on this quote from the product page on Chain Reaction Cycles.

I should tear them back down. I guess it is possible that I picked up some grit in there and am over complicating this like I have a tendency to do.
    Per this page, Ice Technology can be resin or metallic.

It can be tricky getting metallic pads quiet, especially if you're coming from resin pads.

Chris

They are resin for sure. It is stamped in the back of the pad. Coming from an automotive background, I am not used to seeing the term resin to describe a friction material compound.

Again, thanks for the help. I never stop learning around here.

Site Supporter
    Having several rides on the Nobby Nics now, I really like them. One thing that took some getting used to was the traction loss when transitioning from center tread blocks to the shoulder lugs. By looking at the tire it doesn't look like it should happen, but if you gradually lean into a corner there is a slip-grab sensation in transition. I have found that if you aggressively throw the bike into the shoulder lugs and add a little pump, they respond reliably and predictably. Jut gotta ride the shit out of 'em.

I put new Shimano factory pads on the rear. They were great for the first couple of rides, now they sound like a spoon in the garbage disposal. Any ideas how to fix that?
    I don't see any alignment issues and there is no scoring on the rotors.

ETA: The caliper is centered. No visible rotor flex with application.
    Do you have access to a wheel truing stand? If so, mount the wheel, then drill a hole in one side of the arms for the stand, then thread it and put a bolt in there that is long enough to reach in and touch the rotor.

Once you do this modification, you essentially can true wheels AND rotors. It’s not uncommon for us to get bikes brand new in the box with over-torqued bottom brackets, headsets, and bent rotors. Never hurts to double check the straightness. We have much better luck with longevity of Shimano disk components than SRAM - Hope and the like, well, we don’t recommend them for serious riders.

Is there any coloration to the rotors? The most common rotors are stamped sheet metal, and once they’re overheated they’re done for. If that’s the case, you can get some of the Shimano ICE rotors - they have aluminum for the core, and the best ones have a heat sink attached to the core that can get temps 150* below standard rotors. The forged aluminum spiders help with torsional stiffness too.

Nearly every rotor should be able to run with resin pads quietly. I know rubbing alcohol is the way to go per instructions, but the car guy in me grabs brake cleaner every time.

There is a chance that your caliper might be just a smidge offcenter - an easy way to check for this is to loosen the caliper bolts just enough for some movement, then apply the brake as hard as possible, and tighten the bolts while pressure is applied. This forces the caliper body and pads to be centered over the disk. We made a jig at the shop that we put over the rotor to ensure the pads hover a bit further away from the disk to reduced the chance of rubbing while riding, but you can replicate this with a business card on each side of the rotor, then clamping the brake lever down and tightening. Just make sure to open the pads up all the way before you begin if you try this with a tire lever so they start at the same distance from the rotor face, then insert the spacer, then loosen, then apply pressure (may take multiple pumps). Same concept.

It sounds like you ride hard. My suspicion is they have been overheated a smidge and lost some of the heat treatment, OR you have a caliper pot that isn’t fully retracting (happens a lot with the Deore calipers). I’d pull the wheel and work the pads back and forth with a tire lever and the brake lever, and be very observant if one is dragging slightly and not retracting with the same speed or distance as the other one. While the wheel is off I’d look very close at the rotors for discoloration. For reference - this is what a discolored rotor starts to look like (look at the tint at the rotorface vs the center http://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/ro...on-474549.html ). It will then go from that blue to a yellow then brown then purple with increasing amounts of excess heat.

Just remember that if you want more power, go to a bigger diameter. If you hit overheating, get aluminum-cored rotors. If this is better but not quite there, combine with ICE pads. If you still get overheating, go bigger and combine with the aluminum-cored components. The larger diameter will cool faster and offers more mass to distribute the heat evenly.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    <rotor truing>
    Good point, I wasn't even thinking about the rotor touching the pads.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Do you have access to a wheel truing stand? If so, mount the wheel, then drill a hole in one side of the arms for the stand, then thread it and put a bolt in there that is long enough to reach in and touch the rotor.

Once you do this modification, you essentially can true wheels AND rotors. It’s not uncommon for us to get bikes brand new in the box with over-torqued bottom brackets, headsets, and bent rotors. Never hurts to double check the straightness. We have much better luck with longevity of Shimano disk components than SRAM - Hope and the like, well, we don’t recommend them for serious riders.

Is there any coloration to the rotors? The most common rotors are stamped sheet metal, and once they’re overheated they’re done for. If that’s the case, you can get some of the Shimano ICE rotors - they have aluminum for the core, and the best ones have a heat sink attached to the core that can get temps 150* below standard rotors. The forged aluminum spiders help with torsional stiffness too.

Nearly every rotor should be able to run with resin pads quietly. I know rubbing alcohol is the way to go per instructions, but the car guy in me grabs brake cleaner every time.

There is a chance that your caliper might be just a smidge offcenter - an easy way to check for this is to loosen the caliper bolts just enough for some movement, then apply the brake as hard as possible, and tighten the bolts while pressure is applied. This forces the caliper body and pads to be centered over the disk. We made a jig at the shop that we put over the rotor to ensure the pads hover a bit further away from the disk to reduced the chance of rubbing while riding, but you can replicate this with a business card on each side of the rotor, then clamping the brake lever down and tightening. Just make sure to open the pads up all the way before you begin if you try this with a tire lever so they start at the same distance from the rotor face, then insert the spacer, then loosen, then apply pressure (may take multiple pumps). Same concept.

It sounds like you ride hard. My suspicion is they have been overheated a smidge and lost some of the heat treatment, OR you have a caliper pot that isn’t fully retracting (happens a lot with the Deore calipers). I’d pull the wheel and work the pads back and forth with a tire lever and the brake lever, and be very observant if one is dragging slightly and not retracting with the same speed or distance as the other one. While the wheel is off I’d look very close at the rotors for discoloration. For reference - this is what a discolored rotor starts to look like (look at the tint at the rotorface vs the center http://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/ro...on-474549.html ). It will then go from that blue to a yellow then brown then purple with increasing amounts of excess heat.

Just remember that if you want more power, go to a bigger diameter. If you hit overheating, get aluminum-cored rotors. If this is better but not quite there, combine with ICE pads. If you still get overheating, go bigger and combine with the aluminum-cored components. The larger diameter will cool faster and offers more mass to distribute the heat evenly.
    Thanks for the input. I will throw a dial indicator on the rotor as soon as I can. Will also check for uneven pad application side to side. The caliper is definitely centered and has equal pad gap on both sides.

Today was washer and dryer mechanic. Maybe I will get to the bike tomorrow.

Site Supporter
    Today was washer and dryer mechanic. Maybe I will get to the bike tomorrow.
    Your priorities are skewed.

Chris

User Tag List