Page 32 of 39 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Mountain bikes

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    https://www.canyon.com/en-us/

I bought a 29er FS + disc from these guys two seasons ago. It's online sales that you build up in your garage. Total build time about two hours. I love it, would recommend to anyone.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Thanks for the advice guys!

I just ordered a Trek Marlin 7 which I think will fit the bill for my next bike. Seems to be universally well reviewed all around MTB with a solid set of components for an entry level bike with lots of expandability and it was within my price range. Next step will be a seat dropper post and it looks like PNW makes the most popular for the M7.

The Trek 6000 will be kept as it seems bikes are like pistols and most enthusiasts have more than one.

Until I escape the gun owners purgatory which is Kalifornia, I can at least enjoy some pretty good mountain biking.....

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Until I escape the gun owners purgatory which is Kalifornia, I can at least enjoy some pretty good mountain biking.....
    I live in SE TX now, and I miss the hell out of SoCal's trails.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I live in SE TX now, and I miss the hell out of SoCal's trails.
    I don't know about the Houston area but I was actually very impressed with the MTB trails in the Dallas area that I saw when my family and I were out there looking at homes and neighborhoods.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys!

I just ordered a Trek Marlin 7 which I think will fit the bill for my next bike. Seems to be universally well reviewed all around MTB with a solid set of components for an entry level bike with lots of expandability and it was within my price range. Next step will be a seat dropper post and it looks like PNW makes the most popular for the M7.

The Trek 6000 will be kept as it seems bikes are like pistols and most enthusiasts have more than one.

That looks like a fun bike. See if you can get it set up for tubeless -- that makes the ride a little more forgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    That looks like a fun bike. See if you can get it set up for tubeless -- that makes the ride a little more forgiving.
    It looks like a good bike for the level I’m at right now. I’m familiar with Trek having had my 6000 and my kids bike so it’s a known quantity, plus the shop is just a couple blocks from my home so if I have any issues it’s close. It’s definitely a sellers market and there were no real deals to be found except the REI rebate but I liked the Marlin better than the CoOp.

My plan is to ride it basically stock other than to add the dropper post until i need now tires and then go tubeless.

Now it’s just time to get the legs back in shape.

Gravel Bike!

Not quite a road bike, not quite a mountain bike…I had a chance to ride my GROWLER American Session Oktoberfest ( https://growlerbikes.com/collections...an-session-ipa ) with a group of fellow gravel bikers up in New Paltz NY. We did a very large portion of the paved/unsaved/almost paved trails of Mohonk Mountain as well as the Wallkill Valley Rail Trail and had a great time. We pedaled for about 45 miles. Riding a bike on trails that are made for gravel biking was a new experience and one that will become addictive.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

"Not quite a road bike, not quite a mountain bike…I had a chance to ride my GROWLER American Session Oktoberfest"

Last Bike purchased before leaving was a AWOL, Specialized. Like you say it is not quite a road bike...mountain bike. It came with fenders and riding this time of year in NY found them to be essential.

Quote Originally Posted by Det1397 View Post
    Not quite a road bike, not quite a mountain bike…I had a chance to ride my GROWLER American Session Oktoberfest ( https://growlerbikes.com/collections...an-session-ipa ) with a group of fellow gravel bikers up in New Paltz NY. We did a very large portion of the paved/unsaved/almost paved trails of Mohonk Mountain as well as the Wallkill Valley Rail Trail and had a great time. We pedaled for about 45 miles. Riding a bike on trails that are made for gravel biking was a new experience and one that will become addictive.
    Nice!

It’s neat to see the range of bikes available for different mixes of terrain and riding styles. Some of the marketing is silly but that’s marketing. If the gear works for what you enjoy doing, that’s all that matters. I think it’s when I see someone in full Lycra on a drop-bar bike swapping stories with someone in baggies on a mountain bike about the great ride they both just had.
    Last edited by peterb; 11-16-2021 at 11:59 AM.

User Tag List