Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Mountain bikes

Quote Originally Posted by MD7305 View Post
    Thanks, Osprey hadn't been on my RADAR but I like the features of that pack. Is the waist belt fairly comfortable?

It’s super comfy. I’ve only used it for a total of a month or so, so I can’t comment on its durability, but it rides well and is quite functional, especially for those interested in carrying a pistol.

Site Supporter
    New bike day here. Finally found a 24” full suspension. Big guy barely let me get it out of the rack before he hopped on and started bouncing over old stumps. Rocky Mountain Reaper. Long wait and a day trip to Crested Butte to get it. Week and a half till the lifts start turning again.

Name:  D8E8DA73-1285-4E00-8337-D99A94835427.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  75.5 KB

When it's 110 during the day... I ride at night.

This is around 14 miles into a 27 mile solo night ride deep in the Guadalupe Mountains on my Trek Farley 7 fat bike.
    During the 2 hour drive to the trailhead I didn't see a single human, not even a light.
    Just the way I like it.
    Saw a few turkeys, javelinas, foxes and a porcupine.
    Great ride.

Name:  night_mtb_21.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  65.2 KB
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post

This is around 14 miles into a 27 mile solo night ride deep in the Guadalupe Mountains on my Trek Farley 7 fat bike.
    During the 2 hour drive to the trailhead I didn't see a single human, not even a light.
    Just the way I like it.
    Great ride.

Tell us about that light please.

Just the way I like it.
    Great ride.

Would bears or mountain lions be a concern on a night ride out there? (I’m in Ohio with no experience with large predators)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_L View Post
    Tell us about that light please.
    It's a Garmin Varia UT800. Up to 800 lumens but I usually run it at the lowest setting which is around 200 and get around 6 hours run time.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Would bears or mountain lions be a concern on a night ride out there? (I’m in Ohio with no experience with large predators)
    Mountain lions definitely, they are all over the Guadalupes.
    That's why I have a Kenai Gunfighter chest holster with a Glock 26 in it on night rides and I'm always watching my six.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

Site Supporter
    It's a Garmin Varia UT800. Up to 800 lumens but I usually run it at the lowest setting which is around 200 and get around 6 hours run time.

Mountain lions definitely, they are all over the Guadalupes.
    That's why I have a Kenai Gunfighter chest holster with a Glock 26 in it on night rides and I'm always watching my six.
    Welcome back, brother. How is the newish job? Retirement window the same?

pat

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Welcome back, brother. How is the newish job? Retirement window the same?

pat
    My ridiculous schedule has slowed enough that I can ride, shoot, and bullshit on the 'net occasionally again.
    Boy graduated HS and is headed to college in a couple months.
    4-5 years and I should be a completely free man.

My 22 year old son is big into mountain biking and wants me to join him. I'd like to but I need to lose weight first. Anyone know of a bike built for big/heavy and tall people?

Quote Originally Posted by BignTall View Post
    My 22 year old son is big into mountain biking and wants me to join him. I'd like to but I need to lose weight first. Anyone know of a bike built for big/heavy and tall people?
    Trek Roscoe 6 or 7.
    A novice friend of mine who's 6'6" and 320# bought a XXL Roscoe 7 and after getting his fork and tire pressures right it's held up to his big clumsy ass extremely well.

BTW: I rode with a guy a few weeks ago who is on a weight loss journey and he's done it all on a MTB (down 70# in 6 months). So don't think you have to lose weight first, go ahead and buy the bike and lose the weight on the bike.

User Tag List