Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Mountain bikes

I’m riding a Giant Talon 3. I thought I had pics of it but couldn’t find any. I’ll get some tomorrow

Name:  21AE64A5-76E7-4128-899F-DC997261E4F4.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  26.7 KB

I usually ride in Usery Park in the East Valley. This is Pass Mpintain as the sun is going down.

Name:  DFEAB5E2-7538-4E36-8643-80D9A360B7DD.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  32.8 KB

I can meet new friends. He caused a hiker, biker, horse jam the othe day.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    @JodyH which Ellsworth do you have? I’m kinda sorta looking at an Epiphany.
    @jc000
    Evolution SST.2 29"
    Last edited by JodyH; 11-14-2017 at 10:31 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post

I can meet new friends. He caused a hiker, biker, horse jam the othe day.
    Are those out year-round down there? At least I only worry about them through about October around here.
    Last edited by idahojess; 11-15-2017 at 12:28 AM.

Site Supporter
    I just recently started riding a bike again as my 5 year old is getting comfortable on his BMX bike at the pump track and back and forth to school. There is a pretty good volunteer group here is Dallas that helps establish and maintain trails.

Not exactly picturesque terrain, but it’s scratching the backpacking/hiking itch that I don’t get to very often.

Here’s my Diamondback 27.5+ hardtail.
    Name:  09314296-6050-4CBE-AAA8-3D9029ED753B.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  103.8 KB

What kind of budget do you guys set for a bike?
    As a kid, I only had a single speed. A few years ago, I picked up a used Walmart special ($50) and used it to realize I enjoyed riding. The last couple years, life has been in the way, but I would like a "proper" bike now. I know I enjoy it, and I will have to find/make time to ride (even if just around the neighborhood).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    Are those out year-round down there? At least I only worry about them through about October around here.
    It’s about time for them to hide. It’s been warmer than usual this year. I think he was warming on the trail. He was playing dead until I poked him with a long stick.

ETA he was about two feet long.
    Last edited by Coyotesfan97; 11-15-2017 at 01:56 AM.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    Any thoughts on potential downsides of going with a 27.5+ bike over a 29er?

Is anyone riding the new 12 speed SRAM setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    27.5+ is going to give you a heavier wheel & tire combination than a 29er. The disadvantage is that it feels more sluggish when accelerating. The advantage of that bigger softer footprint starts to show up as the trail gets worse.

If you mostly ride hardpack/dirt roads/flow trails, the 29er may be faster. It's the current choice of XC racers. As the rocks & roots increase the wider tire starts to help with traction and is more forgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    IME, I've gotten a lot more pedal strikes. That would dependent on your riding style to some degree.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    IME, I've gotten a lot more pedal strikes. That would dependent on your riding style to some degree.
    Let's call it....not talented, and starting fresh, for a riding style. My last mountain bike was an old 26 inch that I broke essentially everything on but the elastomer shock (somehow that survived). A lot of that was just getting a taste and starting to ride trails, the other part was 15+ year old components with no maintenence.

I've come a long way in the maintenence department, but haven't had an opportunity to ride trails in several years.

User Tag List