Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Decisions are hard - truck edition *UPDATE* see post #123

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

Decisions are hard - truck edition *UPDATE* see post #123

So as to not further clutter up the truck thread, I'm making this one.

This is a ramble where I spill out my inability to make a decision as I attempt to purchase a new truck. For those who are just tuning in: My wife wants me to purchase a new truck and give my current truck to our son to help him start out in life. We agreed to this awhile back with the understanding I'd have something by March 2024. She would rather me buy actually new but the decision is mine. Whatever I pick, I'll likely be driving for 10-15 years absent theft/crash/meteor strike/etc.

Current truck: 2012 Ram 1500 Express 4x4.

Likes: Very comfortable, been dead nuts reliable, good power

Dislikes: Headlights are trash, Sylvania bulbs helped but still not great. 4x4 but not very off roady.

Intended purpose:

Long road trips: we take 1-2 week "circles" as far as Texas, Florida, Colorado, etc. hitting attractions and things along the way once or twice a year)

Light offroading: service roads, light trails, no hardcore rock crawling, mud bogging, etc. Just the ability to get off the beaten path to see sights we couldn't otherwise see.

Occasional truck stuff: Lowes runs, etc.

I'm considering a new F-150 Tremor, used F-150 Raptor, used Ram 2500 Power Wagon, and sorta-kinda considering various mid-sized trucks that are currently vaporware. New Chevy Colorado ZR2/GMC ATX4 and Ranger Raptor. Used Ram 1500 Rebel (2023 price hikes are nutso)

I've almost pulled the trigger on ordering a Tremor several times, but each time I get ready to commit I think "that rake is hideous" and my wife agrees. It's just ugly. So I'll either need to drop the rear a bit (lame) or level it and put 35" on it. This makes this the most expensive option, most likely, because I'm ordering the high package to get the good head lights and transfer case. New truck warranty, only I've farted in the seat, etc. Temptation to mod both suspension and motor is high. Wife likes it other than rake.

Raptor, I'd be looking at a 2019 or 2020. I could afford a new one at MSRP...but good luck finding one. I don't want to order and wait for 2 years and never get it, ala Bronco. Sporty, but not holy shit sporty. Temptation to mod motor is high. Wife likes it.

Power Wagon, not very sporty and it's a big boy. Wife suggests perhaps too big (giggity). 2019 factory certified is my cheapest option at the moment, fully loaded, all the options I want, 36k miles. Factory warranty to 100k miles. Feels like driving a mountain in both good and bad ways. Temptation to mod suspension is high. Wife hasn't seen it.

Rebel is the closest to what I have now. Few nitpicky things I don't care for, not quite as capable as the Tremor, but probably not enough to make a big difference. Difficult to find the options I want.

Canyon/Colorado: Doesn't actually exist. No idea if I'd like the 2023.

Ranger Raptor: Ditto. Plus delivery concerns. See: Bronco.

Not a truck, but Bronco WildTrak: Can't get one, can't test drive one, probably loud as fuck on the highway, afraid fun factor would wear off quickly.

Concerns with midsize in general: Same gas milage-ish, much smaller gas tanks = reduced range = reduced flexibility.

SUV concerns in general: Secure storage, inability to do the occasional Lowes run for truck-y stuff.

Non concerns: Towing capacity. Fuel costs, to a point. Resale value (they'll all be junk in 10-15 years). Insurance costs (I'm at that age/driving record where the differences are pennies).

Strong concerns: Long distance comfort. Light trail capability. Ride quality. Fuel range. Aesthetically pleasing. Can do my own preventative maintenance with relative ease.

Preference for domestics because reasons.

Budget: Would like to stay around $60k-$65k before taxes/fees. More would mean I'd probably finance some of it.
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 09-26-2022 at 02:36 PM.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Preference for domestics because reasons.
    Do you include the Tundra in your "domestic" category? By cars.com's methodology the Tundra is the most American pickup. By the Kogod School of Business' methodology, the non hybrid F150 and v6 Ram 1500 are more American than the Tundra.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/is-the-...-the-ram-1500/

Thought exercise: It is the year 2035 and your grandchild has gotten stuck camping/off roading and can't get ahold of his dad. It is just above freezing and rain is falling as you turn off the asphalt onto the dirt. You bounce around for a couple of miles picking your line on the rutted road between swipes of the windshield wiper before coming to a muddy creek crossing. What truck do you imagine yourself in?
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 09-26-2022 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Do you include the Tundra in your "domestic" category? By cars.com's methodology the Tundra is the most American pickup. By the Kogod School of Business' methodology, the non hybrid F150 and v6 Ram 1500 are more American than the Tundra.

I just got issued a 2022 Tundra SR5 for work. Nicest vehicle I’ve ever had, and the twin turbo engine has some get up and go to it. Don’t know how it will hold up, but I really like it so far.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post

It's a preference, not a religion. I can hypothetically see myself buying a Toyota or Nissan if they made something I wanted. That said, I have zero interest in a Tundra, so it's a sidebar that really doesn't need explored further.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I've only owned a 2004 Tacoma and a 2017 Ram. Don't own either now but I'd go back to a Ram in a heartbeat. A Rebel. Not over the top ostentatious but pretty slick to my sensibilities. If it was an every day driver it might be a smaller thing like a Ranger.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    I got a 2007 Tundra and I'd get another if I was buying - go Crew Cab instead of the extended I got.

I view a lot of trucks as being very similar or the same, you'd be good with whatever you pick up.

Would a straight F-150 do you just fine? Does the raptor/tremor give you so much more? Is that more something you can just bolt on/switch out if you see the need?

Quadcab Unimog.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

We have a 2020 RAM 1500 Crew Cab Limited. It's quieter than any car I've owned and the air suspension makes for an outstanding ride. Won't tow all that much (7K??), but gets a load of manure to the dump every other week. I've occasionally wished for an 8' bed versus the 6.5', but the long bed crew cab gets a bid unwieldy. Averages about 16+ mpg but I have no data on long trips. Idaho Treasure Valley have a good deal of small rollers and I suspect a sustained trip at 65 mpg or so on a flat highway would result in higher mileage. Truck has been trouble free in 40K miles. I consider the crew interface to be very good, but my wife won't drive it due to computer phobia.

Tremor with 5Star tune if you need more power.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Is there any reason the Silverado 1500, GMC, etc are not on your radar? A SFC I work with here just bought a Silverado 1500 quad cab RST, and despite how ugly GM made the front end, the truck is very nice.

Of the trucks you've listed, I'd be partial to the Rebel.

The F150 Ecoboost trucks of any trim level make fake V8 engine noise using the stereo and that offends me on a DNA level, and it's kind of a pain to get rid of. Once that's done, the Ecoboost sounds rather lame, and anecdotally the Ecoboost seems to be hit/miss for 100k+ mile reliability even with obsessive maintenance.

'23 is supposed to see the F150 Tremor get a 5.0L V8 and I'd probably hold out for that if I had to go Ford and couldn't find a 'normal' F150 trim package I liked with the 5.0L.

User Tag List