Page 26 of 39 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Mountain bikes

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Grabbed a Surly Krampus SUS for myself and a Trek Roscoe 7 for my son.
    Been having a blast riding together on modern old school hardtails.

Going to start racing again as well, the two of us are going to do a two man team 12 hour race in October.
    https://ziarides.com/event/wild-west/

That looks like a fun weekend. I love a good steel frame hardtail, with my preference being rigid single speeds. A solo 6hr on the rigid would be a fun challenge and this fits on a weekend between pronghorn opener and deer season for me in CO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    Assume that's the latest version of 'The Following'?

Looking forward to your impressions, as that one is on my list. I've been on custom steel hard tails (29er and a 29+ that I really love) but looking at a big-wheeled 'geriatric bike' (full suspension) since I'm over 60 (but STILL riding and loving mtb).

Please post follow-up on how she rides!

-Rainman

It’s actually a V2 Offering (150/140) gx build. It’s my first Evil.

I’ve spent several days demoing last year’s version and I’ve ridden a Wreckoning and a Calling some (Outerbike a few years ago). I’ve always really enjoyed Evil’s poppy playful nature so I decided to jump on the new Offering release when it popped last month.

I’ve been riding a V1 Ripmo, a bike in the same “class” as the Offering, for the last couple years, so it’ll be fun and interesting to compare them.

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    It’s actually a V2 Offering (150/140) gx build. It’s my first Evil.

I’ve spent several days demoing last year’s version and I’ve ridden a Wreckoning and a Calling some (Outerbike a few years ago). I’ve always really enjoyed Evil’s poppy playful nature so I decided to jump on the new Offering release when it popped last month.

I’ve been riding a V1 Ripmo, a bike in the same “class” as the Offering, for the last couple years, so it’ll be fun and interesting to compare them.
    Thanks for the info.

I'm currently looking hard at the new Ibis Ripley AF. The new-ish geometry (uber-slack HTA with steep STA) will be a significant change from everything I've owned to date. The Ripley AF looks exceedingly capable for a good price. The trouble is...FINDING ONE. Local (east coast) Trek dealer said that the only full suspension bikes he has coming are those that were ordered in advance. Two Ibis dealers have said the same thing about the Ripley and Ripmo AF. Maybe high-end stuff is more available, and I'm looking at the Evil and the Pivot Switchblade ($$$) as well.

Still not understanding how the COVID-economy can support spending at the current levels to where we have shortages of recreational equipment, but that's for another thread...

-Rainman

Our local Ibis dealer has a couple medium Ripley AFs on the floor. And has a bunch of orders in other sizes he’s waiting on. My understanding is the carbon bike availability has pushed into mid-summer. Yeah crazy times.

I’m intrigued by the new Ripley also. The geo isn’t out of this world slack (65.5) and I think it’s about perfect for an aggressive modern trail bike. I’ve demod the V4 and personally owned a V3 Ripley for a number of years. I think the move to slacken the front end a touch more was warranted. Especially if it’s going to be bridging into enduro type terrain.

I spent a couple days on a 2021 Stumpjumper Evo this fall. The one with the factory adjustable angleset/headset. It adjusts on the fly (meaning no cup changes) between 63.5 degrees and 65.5 degrees. My takeaway after messing with it a bunch was a real appreciation and comfort level with the stability and cornering afforded by the some of the slacker settings.

Escaped the alpine for the day last Saturday and bumped over to Moab for a couple Ahab laps. First actual rides on the Offering. Here are a couple notes if anyone is interested:

-The longer cockpit of the new offering makes for a bit more planted climbing than last years model. After fiddling with the Super Deluxe and getting it dialed, I feel like it really gives the Ripmo a run for it’s money in ledgy technical climbing.

-The mid to end travel support of the Deltalink makes for a really good sprinting and out of the saddle climbing bike. I really like the slightly more progressive feel.

-It definitely doesn’t plow through square edges as confidently as the Ripmo at speed but it makes up for it a bit in cornering, quickness and agility.

I really like the bike. It’s super fun and I’m super excited to get out again. I’ll continue riding it in its current stock configuration for a while. But I’ve ordered an angle set for it and I have a 160 air shaft for the Lyrik laying around in my toolbox to mess with if I decide to.

Our local Ibis dealer has a couple medium Ripley AFs on the floor. And has a bunch of orders in other sizes he’s waiting on. My understanding is the carbon bike availability has pushed into mid-summer. Yeah crazy times.

I’m intrigued by the new Ripley also. The geo isn’t out of this world slack (65.5) and I think it’s about perfect for an aggressive modern trail bike. I’ve demod the V4 and personally owned a V3 Ripley for a number of years. I think the move to slacken the front end a touch more was warranted. Especially if it’s going to be bridging into enduro type terrain.

I spent a couple days on a 2021 Stumpjumper Evo this fall. The one with the factory adjustable angleset/headset. It adjusts on the fly (meaning no cup changes) between 63.5 degrees and 65.5 degrees. My takeaway after messing with it a bunch was a real appreciation and comfort level with the stability and cornering afforded by the some of the slacker settings.
    Thanks for the feedback.

Do you know anything about the Esker Rowl?

Seems very interesting, but not many out there so not much feedback at this time.

Have seen at least one post saying that it's a bit heavy. Seems to offer some good bang-for-the-buck on the group pricing, plus they offer Shimano XT which would be my preference (love XT brakes over SRAM). Another possible plus is that the frame sizing seems to run a bit small...at 6'2" I'm frequently on the low-end for some manufacturer's XL, whereas I think the XL Rowl would be spot-on.

-Rainman

Hammertime
    Escaped the alpine for the day last Saturday and bumped over to Moab for a couple Ahab laps.
    Geez I love Ahab. It has been way too long.

Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    Thanks for the feedback.

Do you know anything about the Esker Rowl?

Seems very interesting, but not many out there so not much feedback at this time.

Have seen at least one post saying that it's a bit heavy. Seems to offer some good bang-for-the-buck on the group pricing, plus they offer Shimano XT which would be my preference (love XT brakes over SRAM). Another possible plus is that the frame sizing seems to run a bit small...at 6'2" I'm frequently on the low-end for some manufacturer's XL, whereas I think the XL Rowl would be spot-on.

-Rainman

Not much knowledge on Esker here. I know they use a Weagle design of some sort that is reported to "pedal a lot like a DW-link". I fished around and found a Pinkbike article you might be interested in. The comments section below it has a lot of discussion about the bike, it's design, etc... If that's of any use to you.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/esker-...sion-29er.html

Not much knowledge on Esker here. I know they use a Weagle design of some sort that is reported to "pedal a lot like a DW-link". I fished around and found a Pinkbike article you might be interested in. The comments section below it has a lot of discussion about the bike, it's design, etc... If that's of any use to you.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/esker-...sion-29er.html
    Thanks for the link.

Finding mostly discussion, less feedback...likely due to the short time they've been out there.

DW designs good suspension, which is certainly a key ingredient. The Rowl could be a real sleeper, but I think I'd rather buy the Ripley AF on the cheaper side, or something a bit more proven if I end up going for something pricier. Your revive of the Evil definitely has me thinking.

-Rainman

@rainman. I saw the Rowl was on the Bible of Bikes (errrrr, Beta MTB) test list this year but they just released their video review this am. Some interesting comments...

User Tag List