Page 32 of 58 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Fixed blade picture thread

A very lucky and somewhat expensive find:

Original Trace Rinaldi / Shivworks Clinch Pick S30V (Paul Bos heat treating) & trainer
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 04-16-2019 at 06:49 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I'll see your Rinaldi...

Name:  RinaldiGambit_001.jpg
Views: 1274
Size:  31.2 KB

Trace made this knife for me years ago. I think it was my first blade with S30V steel.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Huh. The edge on the Rinaldi Pick was a mess, and I’m having a very hard time sharpening it. The bevel is steep and thick. Any suggestions other than sending it to Ban?

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Huh. The edge on the Rinaldi Pick was a mess, and I’m having a very hard time sharpening it. The bevel is steep and thick. Any suggestions other than sending it to Ban?
    If you have a Sharpmaker you can use the corners of the stones to work the blade shape and concentrate the force. But if the bevel is very obtuse it's going to take a lot of work unless you have some of the diamond hones.
    Last edited by blues; 04-17-2019 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    If you have a Sharpmaker you can use the corners of the stones to work the blade shape. But if the bevel is very obtuse it's going to take a lot of work unless you have some of the diamond hones.
    Thanks @blues. That's exactly what I've been doing, with the Sharpmaker brown stone. The bevel is greater than 30 deg so I'm doing it by hand. Guess I'll keep on it.

The sheath looks like the source of the edge damage. It's tight, but wasn't well thought out. The edge slices along the Kydex on the draw. Might have to drop $50 on a JMCK. Sheesh. this is turning out to be an expensive project.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Thanks @blues. That's exactly what I've been doing, with the Sharpmaker brown stone. The bevel is greater than 30 deg so I'm doing it by hand. Guess I'll keep on it.

The sheath looks like the source of the edge damage. It's tight, but wasn't well thought out. The edge slices along the Kydex on the draw. Might have to drop $50 on a JMCK. Sheesh. this is turning out to be an expensive project.
    @Clusterfrack

I don't know how often you'd have a need for the diamond or CBN Sharpmaker rods, but they might be worthwhile.

Alternatively, if you have a coarse bench stone, you can use the edges (like the corner of the Sharpmaker rods) to also grind down the edge more quickly. It really just depends on how much the radius prevents you from working on the flat portions of a hone.

If you have a hardware store nearby, you can buy a cheap coarse bench stone and try that. It would be a cheap option for a much quicker fix. I'd go for something in the 220 - 325 grit area. You can use Silicon Carbide, Aluminum Oxide (or diamond if the grit is all the way to the edges).
    Last edited by blues; 04-17-2019 at 12:11 PM.

Some weekend knife maintenance.

Last edited by StraitR; 04-22-2019 at 07:30 PM.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand

I feel like kaylee from firefly....

In the episode Shindig of the old sci fi show Firefly, Kaylee, the ship’s mechanic, wears a store bought dress she loves but which turns out, in the company of the fancy people at the party she attends, to be grossly out of fashion and plebeian in the extreme . She loves it anyway. So my modest little Bradford Guardian M690 and Armatus Architect sheath may appear in this company....but I like them all the same. It’s really handy for work and chores and isn’t constantly falling out of my pocket.

Name:  4A24C788-A227-4317-B806-94927C4A7DBD.jpg
Views: 1061
Size:  74.5 KB

Firefly: best show ever.

User Tag List