Page 36 of 58 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: Fixed blade picture thread

Two things...

Tapered tangs are still a thing...both in forged and stock removal knives depending on the maker. There's a tremendous number of talented makers out there, all you have to do is put in the work and look for them. The custom and handmade knife forum on bladeforums.com would be an excellent place to look and pose questions. (Years ago I used to moderate that forum.)

Taking nothing away from Loveless and those who make knives in his tradition, there are many makers who are every bit his equal in terms of talent and ability. That said, Loveless is responsible for much of the popularity that ensued and for that alone he would deserve the lofty place he occupies in the knife maker pantheon.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Tapered tangs are still a thing...both in forged and stock removal knives depending on the maker. There's a tremendous number of talented makers out there, all you have to do is put in the work and look for them. The custom and handmade knife forum on bladeforums.com would be an excellent place to look and pose questions. (Years ago I used to moderate that forum.)
    Agreed on all fronts.

I merely meant that some folks are making "Loveless-style" knives without actually spending the time to make them like Loveless did. There is a lack of understanding why Loveless did some of the things he did. Some of them were good, some of them weren't. But like building a custom 1911 or a custom Ford Mustang, some people just order parts from a catalog and slap them together. Not knowing nor realizing why or how things should fit.

For me, I actually like to collect work from up and coming makers whenever possible. I have right now a few pieces from guys before they were "pro" knife makers. Those guys today have work that commands thousands of bucks and I delight in knowing I spotted the talent and got pieces for a few hundred (or often quite a bit less) early on. If you can develop the eye for what fit and finish should look like, you can spot the guys doing good work, easily. They tend to be the ones with lots of dirt under their nails, who can identify every flaw in the blade, and make no excuses for it. Where each new blade they make is a chance to perfect their craft.

The makers I can't stand are the thieves first, followed by the guys who think their shit is perfect, god's gift, with mediocre fit and finish, material choice and color combinations that look like Stevie Wonder picked them out, and prices that reflect that they have been sniffing their own farts too long. If I wanted a fancy new fart sniffer, I'd go buy an expensive dog.

I'm somewhat surprised we're not seeing more tapered tang fixed blades. The guy who makes one of the most widely used grinders has offered a tang tapering "easy button" for several years. His surface grinder attachment is available to fit most of the 2x72 grinders that makers use. It works well enough several people have introduced their version of the product. Bottom line is the equipment to make this a simple, repeatable, process is out there.

For the mass produced blades I believe double disc grinders require custom fixtures and additional processes which is why you don't see it.

I asked Kiku Matsuda if he would make me a "Reverse Hornet":

Name:  Img1436.jpg
Views: 1097
Size:  36.2 KB

We need a rule that says to include the name of the knifemaker or knife company.

When you spend the time to custom light the photo shoot and add a watermark but don't bother to say who the maker is, I can't help but wonder if you are doing it on purpose to tease a response from someone asking who the maker is.
    Last edited by BigD; 07-27-2019 at 08:17 AM.

VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Since the grinder royally fucked up the plunge line on that knife, I won’t ask you to grace us with the name of the maker.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    Since the grinder royally fucked up the plunge line on that knife, I won’t ask you to grace us with the name of the maker.

That's not a production version. Many items I post that look rough are pre-production prototypes I have for eval.
    VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

VDMSR.com

Joe Watson Pikal
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

User Tag List