Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Super Redhawk in 10mm

It looks like the perfect platform to see what the 10mm is capable of. SAAMI lists max pressure 37,500 PSI, however it's doubtful you'll see a current loading manual that comes remotely close to that. I'm sure that with careful load development one could easily reach that 37.5k PSI limit and have a weapon that can safely handle that pressure and have the weight to easily tame recoil.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I really don't get the whole point of revolvers in autoloading cartridges. I understand why the Army bought M1917s; they needed guns faster than Colt could make 1911s. But other than that?

One of the things about revolvers is that you don't need anything else to fiddle with. All you need is the gun and the cartridges. Oh, sure, if you want to recharge it faster, you'll want a speedloader of some flavor, but you don't need them. But if you have a revolver chambered for a rimless cartridge, you need full/half/third moon clips. Unless the chambers have set to headspace the cartridges on their mouths, then you'll need a dowel and, at that point, you sort of have the worst of both worlds between the swing-out cylinder of a hand-ejector and the need for an ejection rod.

Other than maybe commonality of ammunition for a user, is there anything that a 9mm can do that can't be done by a .357? 10mm vs. .41 magnum?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I know people have been asking Ruger for more 10mm offerings. One of the 10mm fan forums had a sort of organized campaign going IIRC. I guess this is their response...
    This makes more sense than anything I can think of. This one doesn’t do anything for me but I still have to give Ruger credit for listening to people. We should all get behind a PF design and try to have it made. It’s not like we don’t have some guys with tons of revolver knowledge on here that could come up with something cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I really don't get the whole point of revolvers in autoloading cartridges. I understand why the Army bought M1917s; they needed guns faster than Colt could make 1911s. But other than that?

One of the things about revolvers is that you don't need anything else to fiddle with. All you need is the gun and the cartridges. Oh, sure, if you want to recharge it faster, you'll want a speedloader of some flavor, but you don't need them. But if you have a revolver chambered for a rimless cartridge, you need full/half/third moon clips. Unless the chambers have set to headspace the cartridges on their mouths, then you'll need a dowel and, at that point, you sort of have the worst of both worlds between the swing-out cylinder of a hand-ejector and the need for an ejection rod.

Other than maybe commonality of ammunition for a user, is there anything that a 9mm can do that can't be done by a .357? 10mm vs. .41 magnum?
    To answer Stephanie's question, I see that the 9mm is exceeded in power by the other three rounds, and this fact is pertinent if hunting or defense against 4 legged animals is the task. So the issue may be that current development of 9mm ammo combined with excellent, proven platforms forms an effective combination. It is this combination, then, that permits the 9mm to do things that the other three calibers can not perform as well--if the task is self defense against human predators.
    Last edited by willie; 11-13-2017 at 10:28 PM. Reason: grammar

Why not just use a .44 mag or .41 mag...would be much easier to sell once you were tired of it. If you didn't get tired of it they shoot with real accuracy forever.

Yeah, not sure why Ruger is making odd decisions.
    Restricting the 3" GP100 to .44 special and putting 10mm in he largest revolver they have.
    The 10mm should go in a Redhawk frame.

I could almost get a 10mm 3" GP100. In a Super Redhawk.....I don't get it
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Other than that? Well, .45 auto ammo remains far cheaper than .45 Colt (you can buy 1000 rounds of .45 auto from SG Ammo for approximately $255 chipped), and while you can hand load .45 Colt to places the .45 auto (and even .45 super) can't go, for most purposes .45 auto works very well. A revolver with 6 rounds of 230 +P HST is a very capable defensive weapon, and can be used to hunt most critters if allowed by state law.

So, while I get--and agree with--your point generally, I think .45 auto is an exception to the rule, and enjoy both my Model 1917 and my 625. Besides, Indiana Jones used a cut-down 1917 and you have to admit that you can't get cooler than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    I could almost get a 10mm 3" GP100. In a Super Redhawk.....I don't get it
    Hmmm, 10mm unfluted Wiley Clapp... That's what they SHOULD have made.

This is my idea of a 10mm wheel gun. Three inch 610, Bowen front sight, EGW trigger job and NP3.

Name:  A1BD3C36-2534-46E1-BD8B-F0C82AA95E34.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  36.7 KB

Name:  6C537232-4E36-4D72-826D-9981CD2D44CA.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  60.2 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List