Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My New Strange Grip?

Left handers pushing shots right, and right handers pushing shots left is a trigger thing most of the time.

Does your trigger finger touch the frame above the trigger?

-Cory

No, my finger doesn't touch the frame, and when I dry with a laser light there is no drift to the right. I think I have a recoil-control problem as much as anything,

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
    No, my finger doesn't touch the frame, and when I dry with a laser light there is no drift to the right. I think I have a recoil-control problem as much as anything,

Randy
    You may also be getting a smidge of sympathetic squeeze from your trigger finger into the frame during strings, as your firing hand tightens up during recoil.

Once you are comfortable with your grip technique this will resolve itself. Either by just gripping hard-hard all the time, or developing enough support hand grip and added torque to stabilize the gun through that small push anyway.

Figuring out how to apply that Vogel torque technique really helped me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post

Randy
    You might try the ball and dummy drill if you think that anticipating recoil is the problem. The first two mags I shoot every time I go to the ranged are loaded with alternating live and dummy rounds. Over the past six months I watched the point of impact move up and right much closer to the intended point of impact. I still have a slight leftward bias, but no real problems along the Y axis. Focusing on support hand grip has helped too. Don't be discouraged by slow progress.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Wrapping the support hand thumb around the back of the grip is absolutely asking to get your support hand cut by the slide.

What has helped my grip the most:

Make sure that the central axis of the barrel is aligned with the central axis of your forearm when you view both from the top. This will help apply uniform pressure to both sides of the grip, as well as helping to ensure that the trigger squeeze is straight back.

Make sure you are contacting the trigger between the tip and first joint of your index finger.

Bend your support hand in the direction of your pinky finger. Place your support hand thumb on the grip, parallel to and below your dominant hand thumb. Get your support hand as high as possible under the trigger guard, and apply uniform pressure to both sides of the grip with your support hand.

When drawing from a holster, concentrate on driving your thumb between the grip and your body, so that your hand is most likely to end up in the proper place on the grip. If you get the barrel and forearm aligned as described above, the gun should come up with the sights aligned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List