Thread: Stanford's John Donohue on NPR tonight...

Stanford's John Donohue on NPR tonight...

I'm assuming that some here will be familiar with this guy; I was not. But I caught him on NPR during the drive time home tonight. The stuff that jumped out at me was mainly twofold: one, he claims that crime (including violent; he specifically mentioned increases in aggravated assault) has increased between 13-15 percent in states that have passed "right to carry" laws. That was news to me. Second, he stated that the FBI did a study reviewing 160 active shooter events, and concluded that only one was stopped by an armed citizen. Someone here will know if the FBI actually did that study.

I mean, it's NPR... nobody should be surprised that they'd dig up some expert somewhere to try and counter the rapidly spreading story of Mr. Willeford using his own AR to put an end to TX asswipe's free rein of terror. Question is, how does he get away with saying things that are clearly opposite in conclusion from the studies that many of us are familiar with?

Anyone know this Stanford dude? The FBI study quoted? Studies that refute the above observations?

Help a brother out here; I can't make sense of this one.

(the expert dude in question: https://law.stanford.edu/2015/10/12/...make-us-safer/ )
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 11-07-2017 at 09:26 PM.

I heard this interview as well and can answer a small part of your questions. It took ten years after right to carry laws before he could acquire the numbers to meet his study on gun violence across all 50 states? What you missed was the inclusion of stolen weapons in that study in those states. Ten years of stolen weapons along is a long time to include in such a study. Do you imagine that maybe that might cause flaws in such a study? I don't know but I would ask that his finding in their entirety were published for review before I drew any conclusions, but then again I am not exactly a believer in national propaganda radio. The second part is easy to refute however. He only listed successful mass shootings. There is no way to accurately quantify how many mass shootings were stopped by ccw or otherwise because by definition those shootings didn't happen. They were successfully stopped? This was slimy lawyer speak from a liberal law professor, but unfortunately there are those who believe this sort of stuff. Mostly liberal, Mostly ignorant of guns. Education of true findings is the answer when you can.
    Last edited by dragonmouse; 11-07-2017 at 09:42 PM. Reason: grammer

"The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

User Tag List