Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistols you regret NOT buying.

Back in August a gun shop I went to had a used P228 in their case for about $500. Didn't have the money at the time...
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

I was offered a 4" blued Python for 600 bucks right after I signed for my house.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

4" Python, blue...still stings a little as I type this a quarter of a century later.

I went shooting on a Friday afternoon with two friends, one bringing a slicked up S&W 686 that I couldn't seem to miss with; slow, fast, .38, .357, DA, SA...just bull after bull. Saturday morning I hit the gun show to have my FFL buddy snag me a 4" 686 before the weekend is over. He says, sure, but I should buy the 4" Python he had on consignment. I look it over, it's been Magnaported and the front sight insert is missing...$275.

No, nope, in fact, huh-uh. I want what I want and I want it brand new.

By the time I got home, I realized what a friggin dunce I'd been and called br'er Danny to say I'd take it. He laughed and laughed and laughed, finally catching his breath long enough to tell me it hadn't lasted 30min from the time I left his table.

Whew...I'm glad that's out there and the material has been covered. Let's never discuss this again.

ETA: I see a Python trend developed while I was typing...I feel your pain.
    Last edited by Gun Mutt; 11-07-2017 at 09:04 AM.

For sure and without a doubt my biggest regret in not buying guns are:

1. Colt Python
    2. Colt Diamondback in .22.

Both beautiful guns and both would be worth considerably more today than I would have paid for them. Excuse me now. I've got to go beat my head against a wall ....... again.
    NRA Life Member
    Marine Corps Veteran
    Vietnam Veteran

Haven't seen one in person in forever and they are crazy expensive on GB. But I always wish I'd bought a Steyr GB back in the 80's or 90's.

photo courtesy of yankee gun nuts dot com.
    Last edited by El Cid; 11-07-2017 at 09:21 AM.

HK P7 with Nill grips for $750 at a Gander Mountain of all places. Granted this was about 7 years ago, but still.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    This goes back a ways. In my youth, I could have bought surplus 1911's for like 30 bucks or so. Instead, I bought stuff like chrome valve covers and 4 barrel carburetors and mag wheels.
    Yeah but surplus 1911's don't get you laid.
    Last edited by Bigghoss; 11-07-2017 at 10:08 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    HK P7 with Nill grips for $750 at a Gander Mountain of all places. Granted this was about 7 years ago, but still.
    At one point CDNN was blowing out P7s for less than $600. I bought one, but should’ve bought at least one or two more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Site Supporter
    The 3" Lew Horton N-frame 44special for less than $600 about a decade ago.
    All the $99 Makarovs for sale at gunshows back in the early 2000s.
    The polished 2.5" 629 with fixed sights (an actual model, but quite rare) for about $800 a few years ago.
    One of the BFG SA revolvers in 475 Linebaugh being cleared out by CDNN for about $450 several years ago. They're over a grand normally.

Chris
    Last edited by mtnbkr; 11-07-2017 at 09:53 AM.

Site Supporter
    Back in about 1998 or so, my wife was a rookie cop, and her agency had just transitioned from Smith & Wesson revolvers to Sig P220s. With my encouragement, she decided to purchase her M-64, at the whopping price of $130. So far, you're probably wondering what the "regret" could possibly be, right? Well, she phoned me when she went to pick it up, and asked if I agreed with the armorer's suggestion to take a Model 65 instead (I did, because "Magnum")...and then she asked if she should get more than one.

And, like an idiot, I said, no. Because at that point in my life, I knew without a doubt that the M1911 was the best gun ever, and .45 was far better than .38/.357. She said they had some that "were a little shorter too"...and I wasn't interested at all, because I knew for sure that .38 was weaksauce, and a .357 needed at least a 4" barrel to do any good...so why would anyone want one of those?

Now, I am still very happy to have that Model 65, but I'll probably never stop kicking myself for not telling her to bring home a bucket load of $130 Smiths.

Sadly, she never again offered to buy me a gun.
    Last edited by Dave J; 11-07-2017 at 10:42 AM.

User Tag List