Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Vests that don't scream gun

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I have one of their black velvet jackets with a red paisley lining; I get comments on it all the time. Of course, I’m usually wearing it with jeans.
    http://www.jpeterman.com/item/mbz-17...ambskin-jacket

I'm. Um. I'll be in my bunk.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I hate vests with a passion so I feel that gives me an edge here... You'll do very well with anything sold at REI. The "technical outdoors" thing as @VolGrad described fits in well with what's kinda stylish and doesn't look like outta place nearly everywhere. Also to consider, how you dress otherwise and how you present yourself means a lot. The look has to be fitting, that's where the REI stuff works.
    I probably should have also mentioned earlier that I do NOT do tactical. I don't own a single pair of tactical pants or cargo shorts. I would absolutely not wear a vest just as a cover garment outside of IDPA. I acquired these to have layering options as it usually doesn't get warm enough here in the dirty South to wear real jackets. I can wear a long sleeve shirt and a vest in the winter and be good to go.

Columbia Silver Ridge travel vest for hot.
    Columbia fleece for cool-cold
    Carhartt Force for working outdoors or whatever

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I have one of their black velvet jackets with a red paisley lining; I get comments on it all the time. Of course, I’m usually wearing it with jeans.
    Black would be even more awesome. I'll have to keep an eye out for one.

I can’t resist; this came across my screen this morning:

https://www.historicalemporium.com/store/mens-vests.php

Dragon print = bitchin’

Attachment 21911

My typical dress up look. Carrying my Springfield loaded and a 10 round reload aiwb

I need to grab one of those filson Western vests
    Last edited by 03RN; 11-25-2017 at 08:36 AM.

03RN--good appearance.

For casual: Northface, Mountain Hardware, Arcteryx, Columbia, and others providing that outdoor casual sporty look
    For dress: Brioni, Canali, Isaia, Kiton, Zegna, etc...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Attachment 21911

My typical dress up look. Carrying my Springfield loaded and a 10 round reload aiwb

I need to grab one of those filson Western vests
    03RN. you're sitting there all bundled up with your long pants, long sleeve shirt and vest while your lady looks like she might be freezing to death.

A camera, slung across one’s body, adds credibility to a multi-pocket vest. The vest need not actually be a “photo” vest. Now that photographers do not generally carry rolls of film, dedicated “photographer’s vests” have mostly disappeared, anyway, being replaced by general-purpose vests marketed as something like “guide’s” vests, with such labels as Columbia. This is what I wear when the conditions are suitable, which is not daily, as SE Texas can be too hot and humid for any type of vest.

A sturdy, semi-pro-level camera is only a bit larger than a consumer-level camera, and has some real mass and density, due to its magnesium alloy chassis. Regardless of whether the camera is a light-weight consumer model, or a semi-pro or pro model, the strap can be upgraded, to something like a Magpul sling, because there are multiple uses for such a length of sturdy nylon fabric, in an emergency.

I am a somewhat serious photographer, so the camera is with me for its intended purpose.

If the weather is cool enough, I will wear a nice Filson wool vest. As I age, this is somewhat more often, as I am getting a bit more “cold-natured” in the later half of my fifties. I was recently on-line, looking for different colors of Filson vests than my current green one.
    Last edited by Rex G; 11-29-2017 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    03RN. you're sitting there all bundled up with your long pants, long sleeve shirt and vest while your lady looks like she might be freezing to death.
    I think I was sweating.

User Tag List