Thread: External Carriers - Drag Handle Question

External Carriers - Drag Handle Question

My agency allows our officers to wear their soft body armor either in the issued internal or external carrier. We have been using external carriers for over 10 years. While we have seen several changes to the external carriers over the years the latest most practical external carrier we have received to date has generated some complaints from the field.

A drag handle is attached to the back of the new external carrier. While I'm certain most people can appreciate the intent or purpose of the drag handle, some of our officers are convinced it jeopardizes their safety. One argument being put forward is the drag handle presents an attacker with an advantage (anchor point for balance displacement or to further their attack in some way). The other argument being put forward is that the drag handle could get hung up on something causing the officer to be "stuck" where they are at and exposed to potential environmental hazards or threat from an attacker.

With these cons stated, one needs to consider that there are just as many pros that can be argued as well. The whole pro and con debate is really subjective at this point. While I would like to hear if other officers have experienced this debate within their own agency and how it was resolved, I would really appreciate the results of any studies that have measured the risks associated to drag handles attached to external carriers.

I’ve heard that argument before. I’ve never heard of a suspect using one during an assault. That’s a just my small perspective. If you’re honest the external carrier a a whole has numerous points to grab. My external carrier has a grab handle.

As far as it catching on stuff the pouches on the front are more likely to get caught squeezing through tight places or crawling through a fence. Ask me how I know.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    The drag handle on our outer carriers has a small strip of Velcro holding it down, making this a non-issue.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The drag handle on our outer carriers has a small strip of Velcro holding it down, making this a non-issue.
    Might be a retrofit option, depending on how the handles on OP's agency's carriers are configured:

https://www.amazon.com/VELCRO-Brand-.../dp/B00006IC2L
    Last edited by Gater; 11-06-2017 at 05:29 PM.

I think drag handles are a bad idea, there's no reason to make it easier to get taken down. Grabbing a handle is a lot easier than getting a hand in the neck or arm holes of an external vest carrier. The odds may not be great, but the consequences are fairly significant.

Getting taken down by a drag handle is the same as a "horse collar" tackle in football, the latter being banned because of the injuries associated with it. Most of us aren't young, spry athletes that are playing on turf and conditioned to taking hits.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

When I retired 11 years ago there was not a single department in my state (NM) that used the external carrier. When I moved to Arizona the following year, they were all the rage in AZ but not NM. I personally don't like them and would not use one were I still in LE. I prefer my vest under my shirt.

I've mentioned this in other discussions on external carriers ... in the de-brief of the Cottonwood, AZ police / Walmart / religious family OIS and malee the now retired chief makes a point of their experience with external carriers during that event. The suspects didn't just grab, grab at the carriers; instead, the suspects reached through, hooked the arm and waist openings of the carrier and used them to 'control' the officers. He had the carriers ditched after that.

I haven't invested in a carrier because I have no interest in using one, so I have not put in any defensive tactics work to see how big of a concern it may be.

There are a number of vulnerabilities with typical external carriers on patrol that make the drag handle a moot point and unworthy of losing sleep over it. Some of mine have them, some don't. They are almost worthless as drag handles anyway.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    There are a number of vulnerabilities with typical external carriers on patrol that make the drag handle a moot point and unworthy of losing sleep over it. Some of mine have them, some don't. They are almost worthless as drag handles anyway.
    I have to agree with you on the general vulnerabilities of external carriers. I also think that sometimes we lose sight of the fact that our duty belts themselves, especially the back of them, can pose the same level of vulnerability. The back of the belt can be used as a grab point just as easily as a drag handle.

The drag handle we do have seems really solid so far. While I hope we will never actually have to use one I will see about incorporating some rescue drags in our training to see how effective they are and how well they hold up.

Quote Originally Posted by the judge View Post
    The drag handle we do have seems really solid so far. While I hope we will never actually have to use one I will see about incorporating some rescue drags in our training to see how effective they are and how well they hold up.
    If you have "training" vests, I'd definitely recommend that you have officers drag each other. It's not a problem specific to drag handles, but anytime you drag someone by their equipment, and especially armor, you run the risk of strangulation or crushing their trachea. Fair isn't one of the rules of the game, if you really have to drag someone by their equipment, drag them. If you can hook someone under both shoulders or arms, it's a safer way of moving them.

Good video on dragging subjects, notice that the patient has to use his hands to keep the edge of a plate out of his throat.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

User Tag List