Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Personally owned AR and optics policies

I'm out of state teaching & I don't have or current policy on this laptop. I'll try to remember to get it to you when I get home in a week & a half.

I think the best policy has been stated is that it requires an approval by an armorer and or you the training coordinator with a quality check, the list of approved or recommended brands wouldn't be bad either. I carry a personal carbine and pistol at my current agency and have since day one of joining the agency. It has never been an issue and that's to include a personal gun in a use of force incident investigated by the sate.
    Last edited by karmapolice; 11-09-2017 at 09:08 AM.

Thanks for all the responses and PM’s. We have 1 AR armorer. Three of us are already Glock armorers and the plan is to get the remaining two certified. Until now we have not inspected our weapons with any regularity but as of January 2018 we will be inspecting every weapon once a year at qualifications...which will be completed by our 3 firearms instructors/armorers.

KeeFus - no personally owned long guns for my agency. I've tried over and over to get a policy passed, because all of our issued M4s and Mk18s are SBRs and fully automatic, so Big Navy goes f'ing nutsy kookoo about how they're stored and secured, and we knuckle under for reasons unknown.

When I drafted our policy, it was simple. 16" or longer, semiautomatic only, and a SHORT (basically Colt only) list of approved manufacturers. No home builds. Modifications limited to furniture (forend stocks and grips) and sights. Optics were Aimpoint or Aimpoint - if you don't want to spring for quality, you use irons. Weapon had to have iron sights - either fixed or BUIS. Weapon had to be inspected by an armorer, both irons and optic zero'd and qualified with before being approved for duty use.

My proposal was shot down because no one up the chain wanted to take on the responsibility of ensuring that our weapons met "MILSPEC." Sigh...

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    KeeFus - no personally owned long guns for my agency. I've tried over and over to get a policy passed, because all of our issued M4s and Mk18s are SBRs and fully automatic, so Big Navy goes f'ing nutsy kookoo about how they're stored and secured, and we knuckle under for reasons unknown.

When I drafted our policy, it was simple. 16" or longer, semiautomatic only, and a SHORT (basically Colt only) list of approved manufacturers. No home builds. Modifications limited to furniture (forend stocks and grips) and sights. Optics were Aimpoint or Aimpoint - if you don't want to spring for quality, you use irons. Weapon had to have iron sights - either fixed or BUIS. Weapon had to be inspected by an armorer, both irons and optic zero'd and qualified with before being approved for duty use.

My proposal was shot down because no one up the chain wanted to take on the responsibility of ensuring that our weapons met "MILSPEC." Sigh...
    I like that. Keeps it simple.

Wow I feel bad for some of you guys. No optics? That's like no lights on a pistol. Freaking mental.

We allow personally owned rifles, so long as they are manufactured by certain brands on a list the Range Master maintains. All personally owned weapons are subject to inspection by the armorer at annual qual. Optics are the same way - you can get whatever you want so long as it's by Aimpoint, eotech, trijicon, and a few others. We allow variable power 1-6 scopes as well. Personally owned Suppressors and SBRs are also allowed, and you must be able to present paperwork on demand or you are written up and it is not authorized for duty.

If you make any modifications off factory specs you must have the written approval from the Range Master. I put a new trigger, gemtech BCG, and new upper on my rifle (after I wore out the old one) and all was documented, authorized, and inspected.

ETA: SO, 400 sworn, 800 corrections.
    Last edited by Dr. No; 11-10-2017 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. No View Post
    Wow I feel bad for some of you guys. No optics? That's like no lights on a pistol. Freaking mental.

We allow personally owned rifles, so long as they are manufactured by certain brands on a list the Range Master maintains. All personally owned weapons are subject to inspection by the armorer at annual qual. Optics are the same way - you can get whatever you want so long as it's by Aimpoint, eotech, trijicon, and a few others. We allow variable power 1-6 scopes as well. Personally owned Suppressors and SBRs are also allowed, and you must be able to present paperwork on demand or you are written up and it is not authorized for duty.

If you make any modifications off factory specs you must have the written approval from the Range Master. I put a new trigger, gemtech BCG, and new upper on my rifle (after I wore out the old one) and all was documented, authorized, and inspected.

ETA: SO, 400 sworn, 800 corrections.
    What mounts do you authorize for the 1-6 optics?

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    What mounts do you authorize for the 1-6 optics?
    There's no list for that one, but they have to be QD. One of our strings of fire during the qual is you have to remove your optic (or turn off a dot/holo) and shoot with your irons. That narrows it down to non-crappy ones pretty quickly. Mostly we see Larue around here because they are in our hood.

Talking

Thanks for all the PMs and emails. I was able to work through the policies and come up with a good bit of information to pass to our Chief. We met yesterday and the personally owned rifle program policy will be moving forward and will be published for our officers in January. Grizzly21 provided a bunch of local agency policies and now has the task of developing the list for the optics.

Otherwise I was directed to develop a lesson plan for WML training. Past administrations wouldn't allow for any extra training with the light so I always fought against the WML from a pure liability standpoint. We received our new holsters, which are still the Safariland 6360’s designed for WMLs, and lights (TLR-1s) this past week. I was not asked and I gave zero input on WML selection so we will see how these shake out. I completed the lesson plans yesterday and that is moving forward for full implementation, also in January. We will also be moving away from the Federal TRU ammo and into bonded Federal 55 grain LE223T1 ammo. I was hoping to get the 62 grain LE223T3 but it didn't work out that way. Either way, it was a win for us so Im not complaining.
    Last edited by KeeFus; 12-09-2017 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    Thanks for all the PMs and emails. I was able to work through the policies and come up with a good bit of information to pass to our Chief. We met yesterday and the personally owned rifle program policy will be moving forward and will be published for our officers in January. Grizzly21 provided a bunch of local agency policies and now has the task of developing the list for the optics.

Otherwise I was directed to develop a lesson plan for WML training. Past administrations wouldn't allow for any extra training with the light so I always fought against the WML from a pure liability standpoint. We received our new holsters, which are still the Safariland 6360’s designed for WMLs, and lights (TLR-1s) this past week. I was not asked and I gave zero input on WML selection so we will see how these shake out. I completed the lesson plans yesterday and that is moving forward for full implementation, also in January. We will also be moving away from the Federal TRU ammo and into bonded Federal 55 grain LE223T1 ammo. I was hoping to get the 62 grain LE223T3 but it didn't work out that way. Either way, it was a win for us so Im not complaining.
    I wonder why the 62 grain ammo did not get the thumbs up? Don't feel bad I did not get asked for or give any input on the WML procurement but that has to do with the bean counters looking at dollar signs.
    On the other hand I did develop a 62 round course of fire for our rifle qualification(60 rifle rounds/2 pistol rounds).
    Last edited by Grizzly21; 12-13-2017 at 01:42 PM.

User Tag List