Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Personally owned AR and optics policies

Personally owned AR and optics policies

As of January I will be moved into a position I never really wanted...training coordinator. After 25 years of either riding a patrol car or motor...I will be riding a desk. Not something I asked for or wanted but it is what it is and I’m going to make the best of it for my last 3 years in this profession.

Part of my new duties will be initial/annual firearms qualifications and other firearms related tasks. It has been tossed around at our agency a few times lately so I’m going to push for us to be able to carry well-made personally owned AR’s as well as quality optics.

I’m looking for policies from accredited agencies (I hate CALEA btw) that allows for officers to use their personally owned rifles and optics.

PM me and I will send you my email.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by KeeFus; 11-06-2017 at 06:49 AM.

Not CALEA but we used to be. I probably have the pin around somewhere. We have a pretty extensive list of requirements for privately owned rifles and approved optics. LMK if you’d like it.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

At my place if an Officer wants to buy their own rifle to use on duty, they can only buy the exact rifle, optics, sling etc that the department issues no exceptions. Colt 6920, Surefire M500a light, Aimpoint pro , single point sling, Magpul 30 and 20 round P-mags. Next year we are going to a better light set up and Two Point Blue force sling.

I got the go-ahead yesterday from my chief to start modeling a policy. I guess it doesn’t matter about the CALEA stuff as long as its a good policy.

Again, Thanks!

No personally owned rifles period.....and no optics of any type (even tritium irons) allowed on any patrol rifle that's not SWAT.

CALEA approved.

We are uber rigid with firearms......no mods of any type to department owned weapons.

Regards.

Personally owned rifles are approved. Optics, by state mandate, can not exceed 1.5x. To do so would require a precision rifle qualification and not a patrol rifle qualification.

PM sent with further.

Do you already have issued rifles?

The term "well made" is open invitation to have officers bombard you with ignorant shit about how a franken guns with "mil spec" parts is just as good as Colt, or Bushmaster is just as good a BCM, etc. I know what you mean by well made, but I would be careful using that terminology around cops.

There's a push to phase out our personally owned rifles, since virtually all of our problems with unauthorized modifications, have been on personally owned weapons. In the past the range staff was unwilling to push discipline on officers that violated policy, the officers that followed the rules are being penalized today.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    Do you already have issued rifles?

The term "well made" is open invitation to have officers bombard you with ignorant shit about how a franken guns with "mil spec" parts is just as good as Colt, or Bushmaster is just as good a BCM, etc. I know what you mean by well made, but I would be careful using that terminology around cops.

There's a push to phase out our personally owned rifles, since virtually all of our problems with unauthorized modifications, have been on personally owned weapons. In the past the range staff was unwilling to push discipline on officers that violated policy, the officers that followed the rules are being penalized today.
    Yes, we currently have about half the officers outfitted with AR's.

Are you just looking at red dots? Or, are you also looking at authorizing fixed magnification optics (ACOG) and LPVO's? I have a friend that has done optic evaluations for his department, he might be able to help.

I don’t know how large your agency is. If it’s on the smaller end, you could allow anything that meets the approval of the armorer. It’s not too backbreaking for one or two guys to look over 50 rifles and see if they’re built to spec. If you’re in a larger agency and that kind of individual attention would be impossible, it might be a good idea to limit the options to guns from a few manufacturers that are known quantities. If officers can buy rifles from Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense, Sons of Liberty Gunworks, Sionics Weapon Systems, LMT, Knight’s Armament, etc then you’ve opened the pool to allow most realistic budgets while limiting it to quality weapons the firearms staff wouldn’t have to worry too much about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List