Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: p229

p229

Educate me on the Sig P229. Any information is welcome as I am pretty ignorant about them.

Can you get a little specific? Highlights, best 357sig platform ever made (just my opinion). Plenty of trigger action work available. 1.5” wide so I always hated carrying it iwb. Others have no issues carrying it. Too big and heavy for me. On the range it is one of my favorite TDA pistols of all time due to the balance and design. I no longer own one as I tend to stick with one platform at a time. If buying, I’d want a 90’s made example.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi View Post
    Can you get a little specific? Highlights, best 357sig platform ever made (just my opinion). Plenty of trigger action work available. 1.5” wide so I always hated carrying it iwb. Others have no issues carrying it. Too big and heavy for me. On the range it is one of my favorite TDA pistols of all time due to the balance and design. I no longer own one as I tend to stick with one platform at a time. If buying, I’d want a 90’s made example.
    The magazines every one prefers.

This is a early 2000 pistol I think, what should I be worried about? What parts should I replace?

Typical classic SIG reliability, accuracy and quality. I mean that in a good way.

The P229 is only .1" shorter than the P226 (5.4" vs 5.5") and the same weight. Not sure I would choose it over the P226.

If buying used in unknown condition, consider installing P229 Parts kit.
    Last edited by David S.; 11-05-2017 at 08:52 PM.
    David S.

MecGar mags for the win. They made/make them for Sig, although Checkmate also makes mags for new Sig’s.

I carry one every day at work. The 229 tracks better for me than a 226. I’ve never carried the Sig marked mags that came with it (even though they’re made by MG). MG mags are my duty mags. They hold more rounds than the Sig marked mags.
    Last edited by Lon; 11-05-2017 at 08:47 PM.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    MecGar mags for the win. They made/make them for Sig, although Checkmate also makes mags for new Sig’s.

I carry one every day at work. The 229 tracks better for me than a 226. I’ve never carried the Sig marked mags that came with it (even though they’re made by MG). MG mags are my duty mags. They hold more rounds than the Sig marked mags.
    what grips are you running? Can you provide a link to the magazine you like?

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    what grips are you running? Can you provide a link to the magazine you like?
    Mag in the gun:
    https://www.topgunsupply.com/mec-gar...azine-afc.html

Reloads:
    https://www.topgunsupply.com/mec-gar...azine-afc.html

Grips are Sig marked Hogue Aluminum checkered.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.

It's chunky as fuck. Annoyingly so, to me.

I carry it AIWB every day, but a P226 has a slimmer slide and is actually easier to carry in my opinion. The new generation P229s with the slim profile slides seem to be the ones with a lot of problems (like the NJSP). I find it very hard to miss in rapid fire with the P229.....I can mash the trigger all I want and the bullets go where they need to regardless. At the same time, I suck at 25 yard accuracy with the thing. I was able to max the FLETC pistol qual which does require some good accuracy at the 25 yard line, but in more stringent testing (like the 200-Drill) my scores at 25 yards are consistently lower than my P2000 or Beretta 92G. I'd say I don't have that issue with the P226, but I haven't shot my wife's P226 as extensively on recorded drills to quantify it.

There are two major generations of frames for the P229...the legacy, which a gun from the year 2000 would fall into. It uses 13 round P228 mags, though you can buy flush fit 15 round MecGars which work fine, or 18 round MecGars that only extend about a half inch. The current generation uses the same frame as the 40/357 P229 to standardize/simplify production. Their standard mag is a 15 round that is the same size as a 40 mag, and won't fit in a legacy P229/P228. They can, however, use P228 mags without issue (at least mine did).

I'd go for a P226 and P239 combo instead of a P229, personally.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I prefer how the 229 carries, compared to the 226, but on more difficult targets, the sight radius of the 226 makes an enormous difference for me. Plus, the laser grips for the 229 suck, where the dual visible/IR military CT grips for the 226 are the single best laser application I have tried.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Formerly known as xpd54.

User Tag List