Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: p229

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    At this point in time, if I had to make a choice between a SP2022 Sigpro or a P229, I would definitely opt for the SP2022. I also owned it's predecessor, the Sigpro 2340, a very early one in .40 (also with the SIG .357 SIG barrel) and it was an excellent gun. Neither grip really worked "perfectly" for me, and at the time I was moving away from TDA pistols, so it became sacrificial bait on the alter of Glock as I recall-but that had nothing to do with the inherent goodness of the gun. Perhaps because of the ongoing French LEO contract (and others), the quality of the Sigpro has been remarkably steady and consistently good by all reports I've come across.

While today my niche needs in its category are exceptionally well met by my HK P30L V1 LEM, were I in search of a TDA polymer frame gun in 9mm/.40/.357 SIG it would be very high on my list. They're an exceptional value for the money as well, and with quality magazines.

Best, Jon
    I agree, the SP2022 would be a better sidearm. Still have mine in .40S&W and have a .357SIG barrel for it. Superb trigger out of the box and a joy to shoot. I’d probably have one or two in 9mm if Cohen wasn’t a douche and still running the show.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    I agree, the SP2022 would be a better sidearm. Still have mine in .40S&W and have a .357SIG barrel for it. Superb trigger out of the box and a joy to shoot. I’d probably have one or two in 9mm if Cohen wasn’t a douche and still running the show.

Interestingly, to the best of my knowledge the SP2022 is one of the very few pre-Cohen SIG platforms that has not been adversely de-contented materially or quality-wise subsequent to the Cohen regime taking office. My supposition is that this is likely due to stringent contracting provisions that existed for foreign LEO/military Sigpro contracts, and presumably continue to remain in force.

SIG has done very little marketing of the SP2022, especially in the commercial marketplace. The snarky side of me suspects that this may be reflective of a higher profit margin attachable to other SIG platforms that have suffered de-contented or lowered quality components/materials (such as midquality Indian MIM...).

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Interestingly, to the best of my knowledge the SP2022 is one of the very few pre-Cohen SIG platforms that has not been adversely de-contented materially or quality-wise subsequent to the Cohen regime taking office. My supposition is that this is likely due to stringent contracting provisions that existed for foreign LEO/military Sigpro contracts, and presumably continue to remain in force.

SIG has done very little marketing of the SP2022, especially in the commercial marketplace. The snarky side of me suspects that this may be reflective of a higher profit margin attachable to other SIG platforms that have suffered de-contented or lowered quality components/materials (such as midquality Indian MIM...).

Best, Jon
    As much as I like the idea that Cohen is contractually unable to mess with the design or components, I still can’t in good conscience give him anymore of my money. Besides, there’s better companies I can give my money to for similar or better options.

I have way less experience than everyone else on this thread. I got a 229 e2 for a nice price. I didn't like it at first because it was a long reach to the trigger and it was a heavy pull.

I watched ferraristeve videos, and added the short trigger (to decrease the trigger reach) , the SRT Kit (for a ridiculous reset), and a 19# hammer spring. I really like it with these modifications. It's essentially like a Legion, other than the associated swag and G10 grips. (I had tried the grips but didn't work as well for me as the E2 grips.)

I think it's a bit too bulky for EDC, though people do it.

My two cents.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I’ve bought two Sig P229’s .40 S&W pistols in the past couple of months, and they’ve completely taken over as my EDC, and I carry everyday, all day. They look chunky, but I can carry them in a very small Galco IWB and not notice a thing. These pistols carry very nicely, but I generally carry a Commander size Colt .45. I did the Sig SRT kit, and the reset is almost as short as a 1911. I added the Hogue G-10 checkered grips yesterday, and they’re nice. The stock grips are nice, but the Hogues are just slightly more hand filling. I’ve fired hundreds of rounds through each of these pistols, and have never had a hint of trouble. The recoil in .40S&W is very light, so 9mm must be super light.

I've carried a 229 Legion since they came out a couple of years ago. I'm somewhere in between the "It's too huge to carry" and "I don't notice a thing" crowd. It is noticeably wider and heavier than a G19, but not prohibitively so. Since switching from a JM George over to a Wing Claw 2, my comfort and concealment level has gone up a good deal.

I don't actually shoot it any better than a G19, VP9, or any of the other plastics, but I just enjoy shooting and carrying it more. I'm at a little under 7k rounds now, and have replaced the recoil spring, hammer spring, and trigger bar spring. Aside from that, it just keeps trucking.

OP, are you thinking of switching to a P229, or just curious about the guns?
    Last edited by DocSabo40; 11-13-2017 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Forgot some words

I'll throw in another thumbs up for Mec-Gar mags in Sigs. Have had great luck with about 10-15 of them over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by cmbarny2 View Post
    The ones Lon and David S posted are the correct ones for that then correct?
    Yes

Stay away from any P229's with the long extractor. Older guns with the blued barrel and the short extractor were great.

User Tag List