Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mount for 30mm

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    You want a 1911 that will run with a Glock 17 or a 6920? You're not going to get it for a grand, and there's not really anything between $750-$1000 and $3K besides Dan Wesson, and it ain't gonna hang with a G17. That's just a non-negotiable fact of life. But that $3K still won't get you as far as Glock 19. But don't take my word for it, ask some Marines and the FBI what they replaced their 1911s with.
    Disagree there, that last part is a whole different argument. But that is way off topic in this thread.

OP, one thing I will say is that since I’ve gotten my LPVO, I’ve been strongly debating not only the need for QD but the need for BUIS as well. Since it has an etched reticle, even if the battery dies it is still far more usable to me than irons. The only thing that would make me want either is if the lens was somehow broken to the point that I couldn’t use it. And even then, if I don’t have backup irons, QD is kind of a waste. If that somehow did manage to happen, I have a feeling that I’d be looking at a different option than ditching the optic, throwing up the irons, and continuing on that way. YMMV, since it really depends what you’re doing with that gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Disagree there, that last part is a whole different argument. But that is way off topic in this thread.

OP, one thing I will say is that since I’ve gotten my LPVO, I’ve been strongly debating not only the need for QD but the need for BUIS as well. Since it has an etched reticle, even if the battery dies it is still far more usable to me than irons. The only thing that would make me want either is if the lens was somehow broken to the point that I couldn’t use it. And even then, if I don’t have backup irons, QD is kind of a waste. If that somehow did manage to happen, I have a feeling that I’d be looking at a different option than ditching the optic, throwing up the irons, and continuing on that way. YMMV, since it really depends what you’re doing with that gun.

Exactly my thinking. My Z6i has crosshairs I can use. But if the optic is damaged to where it's obscured I can quickly remove it and use irons. I fiddled with offset irons but am not a fan. They are basically useless if I have to go support side of cover.

Mount for 30mm

I’ve personally used Bobro, ADM, and Larue QD mounts. All have been pretty decent at returning to zero, and held up fine for hunting, getting beat up on the atv and other such foolery. After using all of them, I have come to the conclusion that it’s just one more complexity that is liable to break at the worst moment possible, even though they never did.
    Gimme a regular ole’ crossbolt and a wheeler fatwrench please... it’s Badger or Nightforce unimounts these days for me.

Also, worth noting the recent discussions around vertically-split rings being no bueno for scopes. Trivial at best for a 1-4, but it was compelling enough for me to rule out Larue and ADM for that reason alone.

Last edited by Crews; 11-06-2017 at 08:06 PM.

User Tag List