Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mount for 30mm

@Backspin

I have my Nightforce 1-4 in a 20MOA mount because all Nightforce Unimounts are 20MOA.

Regardless, zeroed at 100 or 200 yards it will put the scope close to mechanical center or even a little down. It really doesn't matter on a 1-4, but the mount may not always be for a 1-4. It just doesn't make sense to me to not use a canted base unless you're stacking NODs with your optic.

I have no advice to give. I'm just posting to let you know that my first thought when I saw the thread title was "Awesome! Someone's bolting a GAU-8 Avenger to their SUV!"

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Pass on the QD, they all have issues.
    Can you go into more detail on that? Based on recommendations, it seems to me that lots of people are using QD mounts.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Larue pinches the wrong part of the rail, and when adjusted to not move, they usually aren't QD anymore.

Bobros don't get tight enough and they walk on the rail until they fall apart, and they will.

ADM is either too tight or too loose.

Aimpoint QRP won't get tight enough, their lever mount is fragile and doesn't return to zero that well.

That's about all I have experience with. Lots of people will defend their favorite QD mount, usually religiously, but put the stock on the ground and bump the optic with the side of your fist and watch it walk on the rail.

I started down that path when a USMC FI said my Larue mount was junk, just like all their issued Larue mounts. He used my mount to demonstrate why to not use that type of thing. I checked my 3 or 4 other Larue mounts and they all did it.

Any thoughts on the Midwest Industry WD mount? DSG runes a package deal with the Steiner 1-4 combined with the MI mount. It’s not a deal if the mount is not serviceable though.

I've been very pleased with my ADM 30mm mounts. They are QD but I've had zero issues in thousands of rounds. The 5.56 was used in a Defoor Advanced Carbine class and the 7.62 in a F2S Heavy Carbine class. Both rifles get used in local matches and other classes. RTZ has been true on the rare occasion I remove the glass. I have a 3rd ADM mount currently holding a Strike Eagle on an upper but I haven't had time to shoot it much.

If I was buying a mount today I'd go with Geissele because everything that man does is amazing.

Last edited by El Cid; 11-05-2017 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Larue pinches the wrong part of the rail, and when adjusted to not move, they usually aren't QD anymore.

Bobros don't get tight enough and they walk on the rail until they fall apart, and they will.

ADM is either too tight or too loose.

Aimpoint QRP won't get tight enough, their lever mount is fragile and doesn't return to zero that well.

That's about all I have experience with. Lots of people will defend their favorite QD mount, usually religiously, but put the stock on the ground and bump the optic with the side of your fist and watch it walk on the rail.

I started down that path when a USMC FI said my Larue mount was junk, just like all their issued Larue mounts. He used my mount to demonstrate why to not use that type of thing. I checked my 3 or 4 other Larue mounts and they all did it.
    This is coming from the same guy that said you can’t get a decent 1911 for under $3k. Not trying to start anything, but those are some bold claims. I don’t remember ever seeing an issue with Bobro or ADM.

I do agree with Voodoo’s post - Bobro, Geissele, or Aero are probably the best options in those categories. Personally, my P4 is sitting in an ADM mount which I have been pleased with, but it is just a place holder until Scalarworks releases their 30mm mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may not have seen issues with those mounts, but I have. They're great until someone shows you why they're not. I'll go a step further and say that the Larue scope mounts are the poorest design I've ever seen with the vertically split rings that are separate from the base along with the little cam levers that pinch the corner of the rail. But they still work. It's more a testament to the paralell sides and recoil lugs on the 1913 rail than it is an awesome mount.

You want a 1911 that will run with a Glock 17 or a 6920? You're not going to get it for a grand, and there's not really anything between $750-$1000 and $3K besides Dan Wesson, and it ain't gonna hang with a G17. That's just a non-negotiable fact of life. But that $3K still won't get you as far as Glock 19. But don't take my word for it, ask some Marines and the FBI what they replaced their 1911s with.
    Last edited by M2CattleCo; 11-05-2017 at 10:56 AM.

Re QD:. Ask yourself what you need it for. Do you need toolless removal in the field? If so, get QD.

Do you need good return to zero after removal? If so, do your research. IME, a non QD mount and a cheap torque driver(like weaver) has produced good RTZ results. Some QD mounts have good RTZ, others don't.

Personally I tend to not F' with my optic once it is truly zeroed because a dialed in rifle+optic is something that just shouldn't be messed with. I want robust mounts without unnecessary weight. Currently happy with my NF mount, but the Geisseles I've interacted with are really nice as well. Had an Aero mount, it was feather light, but I lost zero after the rifle was tipped over onto a linoleum floor. Not sure if it was the Vortex PST or the Aero mount, but the combo lost zero. I've since subjected my NF NXS + NF mount to much worse and never seen any shift.

And you won't.

Even without a torque wrench a cross bolted mount will return to zero fine. I've removed and reinstalled many scopes in rings and one piece mounts that do fine.

User Tag List