Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would you buy a used Glock? M&P?

Either, no problem. Also a used HK.
    #RESIST

I am currently looking for a used 3rd Gen Glock 17. If you shop around, there are significant savings going used versus retail plus sales tax.

I feel that any issues (if they do arise) can easily be addressed by myself, or one of the numerous local Glock Armorers for a minimal cost.

I hesitate buying a used 4th Gen Glock. I feel that some people might be off loading their problem pistols. I don't want the hassle of sending it back and forth to Glock Customer Service to diagnose a design problem.

Regards,
    Alan
    Last edited by atingle; 03-08-2011 at 04:05 PM.

I have not bought a new gun in years because I find taking the risk of an issue to be small. In recent years the used guns I have bought include M&P's - 40FS and 45c, 1911's-Springfield and 2 Les Baers, Kahr K9, Glock 19, CZ 75B, some .22 pistols, and I have a used P30 on the way.

The only one that gave me an issue was the M&P40 which was light primer strikes. I purchased the gun from someone that had shot 72 rounds with it to qualify and then sold it to me. After another 1100 rounds is when I started having issues. Since I purchased it used, S&W would not send me a new striker under warranty so I bought the new upgraded striker assembly for $25. Saving over $100 by purchasing used made it worth it. If it had been a slide, or something more serious then I probably would have pressed the issue with S&W.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by MTechnik View Post
    Every manufacturer puts out duds now and then. How do you know you're not buying someone else's problem just to save a few bucks?

That said, would you buy a used Glock 19? Can any problems it does maybe have be solved by a trip back?

The $350 you can get a used G19 makes it a possible pick-up. A $500 new-in-box glock takes a bit more planning and consideration.

Or is a glock so reliable that you wouldn't hesitate, and I'm sill for asking?

Same thing for an M&P 9? Or a P30 V1?
    I generally don't mind buying used guns, but I prefer to see/inspect them in person - and then do my own maintenance on them before shooting.

B
    NRA Life Member | NRA Instructor | My views are my own - they may or may not reflect those of my employer.

I've bought and traded several used 3rd Gen G19's. I almost view them as currency, trading and selling a pistol and two mags, but always keeping the other ten mags I own because it's a matter of time....They've all been problem free and typical,boring Glock.

The only police trade in I had worked over was a 229 I traded a 19 for. It was a rare trade in because the previous owner evidently liked to shoot while most just have holster wear. I had a smith replace all springs with Wolff springs, new Mepro night sights, and a two tone cerakote finish. When the original owner saw it he didn't recognize it and I sold it back to him for a little profit and my G19.
    Last edited by mongooseman; 03-08-2011 at 11:39 PM. Reason: typo

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MTechnik View Post
    Every manufacturer puts out duds now and then. How do you know you're not buying someone else's problem just to save a few bucks?
    It's a game of percentages. The percentage of problematic generation 3 Glock 19's out there compared to the number that work just fine is so small that with any given purchase you aren't very likely to be purchasing a pistol that has serious issues. If you do buy one that has problems, Glock can usually fix it. The same holds true for a S&W M&P.

Now when I see a semi-custom or custom 1911 in a gunshop priced at something less than a kidney and your firstborn child, I immediately get suspicious that this is one of those 1911's that just flat doesn't work and somebody is trying to unload it to recoup some of their losses. That, frankly, would cause me more indigestion about a purchase than anything else.

The $350 you can get a used G19 makes it a possible pick-up. A $500 new-in-box glock takes a bit more planning and consideration.

Or is a glock so reliable that you wouldn't hesitate, and I'm sill for asking?

Same thing for an M&P 9? Or a P30 V1?
    If I found a 3rd Generation 9mm Glock, or a S&W M&P, or a P30 at a good price as a used gun and I wanted to buy, I wouldn't hesitate. I would look them over for obvious defects, of course, but between the quality of those weapons generally and the customer support offered by all three companies (which is pretty darn good by any reasonable standard) it would be hard to lose.

...that's generally why you don't see those guns on sale used for a hefty discount off of the new price. They're a good bet new or used.

If I were in the market I wouldn't hesitate to go for a used Glock 9mm. I've long had two Gen 2 G19s that were bought heavily used and they were outstanding. When time comes for an overhaul, it is basically free except for the gas to drive over to Smyrna for inpect and upgrade service. If I see a used RTF2 G19 I'll execute a sub 1 second draw of my wallet.

I would not personally buy a used G in the larger calibers however.

I've tried (2400 rds worth) an M&P and its a swell gun but a used one wouldn't tempt me.

Site Supporter
    I'd say the companies mentioned usually have a good track record, and usually have great support.

Personally, I'd prefer to see/handle it before I bought it, but with the Internet these days, it's not always an option.

I'd say buy it, run it through the ringer that you normally do for new guns to verify their functionality, and not worry about it beyond that.

I'm also hesitant to buy a gun from anyone that doesn't have a great warranty/service record these days.

Mechanical things fail, no matter how well engineered, just facts of life. Things wear out and break.

User Tag List