Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Me Choose A Portable Car Jumper Kit.....

Took the advice proffered above and topped up a Kindle Fire a couple times with the unit and got the Audew down to 80% charge remaining from the 94% it started with yesterday. (I had nothing left that needed charging to bring it lower unless I'd have left it running with the flashlight on.)

Plugged it in and brought it to 100%. Checked this morning, and still 100%. (But that's how it was the first six days after charging previously.)

So, I'll check it once each morning going forward and report back when it drops below 100%. Hopefully, it will take considerably longer than six days this time.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Took the advice proffered above and topped up a Kindle Fire a couple times with the unit and got the Audew down to 80% charge remaining from the 94% it started with yesterday. (I had nothing left that needed charging to bring it lower unless I'd have left it running with the flashlight on.)

Plugged it in and brought it to 100%. Checked this morning, and still 100%. (But that's how it was the first six days after charging previously.)

So, I'll check it once each morning going forward and report back when it drops below 100%. Hopefully, it will take considerably longer than six days this time.
    Thanks, @blues. I picked one of these up on the sale but will track your experience before unwrapping anything...I liked the idea of a compact, lightweight, and non-lead acid unit and this one looked pretty good in that test video, but it may go back if yours proves to be a clunker.

Quote Originally Posted by Gater View Post
    Thanks, @blues. I picked one of these up on the sale but will track your experience before unwrapping anything...I liked the idea of a compact, lightweight, and non-lead acid unit and this one looked pretty good in that test video, but it may go back if yours proves to be a clunker.
    If you check your amazon account, it should be returnable through January 31, 2021. You can request a replacement or refund, either way, so you should feel comfortable using it.
    But I will definitely report back on it.

In fact, @Gater, if you should decide to unwrap the device, I think it would be useful for you to compare notes here. Because whether mine has parasitic draw or not, won't necessarily reflect on yours one way or the other in any case.

What do you think?...it could be worthwhile data for all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    In fact, @Gater, if you should decide to unwrap the device, I think it would be useful for you to compare notes here. Because whether mine has parasitic draw or not, won't necessarily reflect on yours one way or the other in any case.

What do you think?...it could be worthwhile data for all of us.
    For Science! I’m in...hold my beer for a sec.

Price is back up to $94.45 with current coupon offer.

68% charge out of the box. Nothing here at the moment that needs a charge, so I went ahead and stuck it on the charger.

Apples to oranges, given the lack of a compressor, but the complete kit is 2 lbs 14 oz compared to 22 lbs and change for my lead acid energizer, and probably less than 25% of the size. Should fit under a seat.

For Science! I’m in...hold my beer for a sec.

Price is back up to $94.45 with current coupon offer.

68% charge out of the box. Nothing here at the moment that needs a charge, so I went ahead and stuck it on the charger.

Apples to oranges, given the lack of a compressor, but the complete kit is 2 lbs 14 oz compared to 22 lbs and change for my lead acid energizer, and probably less than 25% of the size. Should fit under a seat.
    Good man. Your starting charge is virtually the same as mine was out of the box. This will be excellent info for both of us as well as the community.

I wrote Audew earlier via their customer service page to ask if my experience is normal or an anomaly.

Also:

Apparently Audew is having a sale on their own site for $67.65 for another 15 hours.

So if anyone wants in, they can still do so.

Very timely purchase. I had to jump my car today. Low battery would not crank. I think it was at 96 or 97 and was at 91 after the jump. Glad I had it.

Audew update: as with @blues ' experience, it charged to 100% in under two hours yesterday. Checked this AM and it reads 94%. Given the spot on matches between the readings Blues and I have gotten, I suspect that the charge indicator has levels rather than a true scale; I think that is pretty typical. Not a promising start, but I think the advice from folks here to try discharging it before charging it the first time is probably on the money. I've had other devices that specify doing that, but the (scant) Audew manual doesn't mention it.

I'm going to leave it be for now and check it over the next few days.

Audew update: as with @blues ' experience, it charged to 100% in under two hours yesterday. Checked this AM and it reads 94%. Given the spot on matches between the readings Blues and I have gotten, I suspect that the charge indicator has levels rather than a true scale; I think that is pretty typical. Not a promising start, but I think the advice from folks here to try discharging it before charging it the first time is probably on the money. I've had other devices that specify doing that, but the (scant) Audew manual doesn't mention it.

I'm going to leave it be for now and check it over the next few days.
    Very interesting, @Gater. As you know, I topped off a tablet a couple times Friday evening and then charged the Audew to 100% from the 80% it had dropped to. (It was at 94% before starting the two separate charging sessions of the tablet.)

Yesterday morning it still read 100%

Today it still reads 100%

It took six days at idle to get to 94% the first time...but I had initially, (first day of ownership), charged to 100%, discharged it some on a tablet, and then brought it back up to a full charge before letting it sit. So the advice above about LiPo batteries may have something to it...

I've asked @JAD to chime in since he seems to be well acquainted with the technology.

Site Supporter
    I charged my 1000A Audew when I got it as referenced in my last post. I checked it today. It's still showing 4 of 4 bars of charge (doesn't have a digital display).

Chris

User Tag List