Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Me Choose A Portable Car Jumper Kit.....

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post
    EDIT EDIT: Maybe this is not a good idea to try, what I mentioned below? I don't know. Don't zap yourself man!

I am not 100% sure since I don't have my NOCO in hand, but the override function will allow you to use it as described above for anything that is 12v. The override is designed to power a completely dead battery and removes all protections.

If you still have the NOCO I would love to hear if this works. Mine shipped but USPS has slow rolled my last 2 packages, one shipped 7 July and still not here.

EDIT: Found this accessory, but says its not compatible with the GB40???
    https://no.co/gbc010
    Yeah, I have the GB40. It only has the main 12V port. The others are USB IN and USB OUT.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

At a friends place and another buddy left his lights on since yesterday. He asked for jumper cables and I remembered the NOCO. My GB40 was charged in early August and has been in the trunk of the wifes car ever since. Not gonna lie, I was excited to put this thing to the test.

A few guys said it would never work. Hyundai started on the first try. Pretty damn cool.

NOCO GB40 Boost Plus or other models as indicated by the engine to be jump started.

Has anybody had issues with the NOCO unit being dead when needed? I've read enough of these reports on amazon and elsewhere to give me pause.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Has anybody had issues with the NOCO unit being dead when needed? I've read enough of these reports on amazon and elsewhere to give me pause.
    I’ve had my sit for 6 months and then fire up a car no problem.

Having batteries do that just seems weird. I am used to old school lead acid rechargeables that lose 5% or something like that each day not on a charger.

I still carry jumper cables but I am old school like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    I’ve had my sit for 6 months and then fire up a car no problem.

Having batteries do that just seems weird. I am used to old school lead acid rechargeables that lose 5% or something like that each day not on a charger.

I still carry jumper cables but I am old school like that.
    I keep my battery charged with a Battery Tender Plus. (I had a Battery Tender Jr. for 25 years which just gave up the ghost last week.)

(I also keep jumper cables in the 4Runner, but have been intrigued by the idea of these NOCO (and similar) units.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I keep my battery charged with a Battery Tender Plus. (I had a Battery Tender Jr. for 25 years which just gave up the ghost last week.)

(I also keep jumper cables in the 4Runner, but have been intrigued by the idea of these NOCO (and similar) units.)
    I would do it. I got one for my wife’s car after we got back to our car at the airport in winter with the 3 year olds in tow. One of them had turned on a dome light before we left. We waited for 45 minutes for the parking lot service to jump the car. No other folks were around at the small airport.

My wife has used it multiple times and it has been a real time and inconvenience saver. You’ll have to check but the $100 will jump most cars.

Looking at these Noco brand, what size do you need to jump a v8 in a full-size truck? I got a different brand as a gift awhile back and it won’t work on my truck.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

"Has anybody had issues with the NOCO unit being dead when needed? I've read enough of these reports on amazon and elsewhere to give me pause."

We got one (a 'GOOLOO 1500A Peak 20800mAh SuperSafe Car Jump Starter with USB Quick Charge 3.0') a couple of years ago, and a few months later the battery died (defective battery, replaced under warranty) on a 6 month old F150 ... parked at a remote trailhead, making the jumper cables kinda useless :-( ). It started right up. Non a NOCO, but it has similar ratings.

It's been sitting in the car since then, so 12 to 18 months. I just went out and checked it and it powered up and says the battery is at 99% (which seems odd, I would have expected some self-discharge). I don't have any way to actually load test it, but at least it isn't completely dead.

I dunno if I'd spend the $$$ for a car that spends its life in town, where you can always usually get a jump and/or have cell coverage, but if you go to out of the way places they seem like a real good idea. Ours was $70 ... beats walking 20 miles.

The one-star ratings do give me pause. I think they do overstate the problems, i.e. something that has 10% one stars probably doesn't fail 10% of the time - people who have a problem are more likely to post a review than those for whom it works, I'd think. That said, I'd rather buy one with 1% bad reviews than 10%. Unfortunately, there may not be a brand built to that level.

As far as what size you need, FWIW, the motor was a 2.7 ecoboost. No mechanical etc. problems, so it started more or less instantly.

Site Supporter
    FWIW. I too recently picked up a NOCO GB 40 as my 95 Jeep's 5y/o battery had given up the ghost and it is not being driven much. I went ahead a bought a new battery and had it in before the jumper kit cam in the mail so it never got a trial run. I got if for a bit less than the present 99ish so you might want to watch it a bit to see if the price comes back down on Amazon if time is not of the essence.

PS-I still carry jumper cables and do not see that changing.

User Tag List