Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Me Choose A Portable Car Jumper Kit.....

Figured I would share this. I don't have one (carry cables in my truck, wifes car has nothing though) but thinking about buying the $69 1000amp version. How do you keep it charged if its stored in the trunk? Does it become one more thing to have to charge every week/month? Maybe it becomes something that is charged and packed for road trips just in case.

NOCO Boost for $59/$69.

https://www.woot.com/offers/noco-boo...cnt_gw_dly_img

Site Supporter
    Rayrevolver beat me to it! I was thinking about that Woot ad when I saw this thread. Better act fast, it may not last all day (and will definitely be gone tomorrow).

I have the 1000amp model and used it in anger last Fall to good effect. I would buy it again.

Chris

I ordered the GB40 1000amp. Having one handy at home makes jumping much easier as well.

Per NOCO, it will hold up to a 70% charge for 1 year and they recommend charging every 4-6 months. Thats not too bad and something I can keep tabs on for the wifes car.

I also read it has a manual override so you can boost a dead battery.

Site Supporter
    I use Jump and Carry and went out of my way to avoid lithium ion.

I picked up the Harbor freight Viking Lithium Ion Jump Starter and Power Pack a while back, on sale for $60 with coupon. It worked on my Jeep and the wife's car once each so far.

I see questions about long term keeping it charged. Mine sat for 6 months before I used it, and it worked fine. When I do some wiring bits on the jeep I'll be putting in a switched 12v outlet dedicated to keeping the pack plugged in and charged though.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Based on a friend's recommendation we got a "GOOLOO 1500A Peak 20800mAh SuperSafe Car Jump Starter" a couple of years ago. The one time we needed it it worked. I didn't do a deep dive on them.

(and glad we were ... I was more a jumper cable kind of guy, but the time we used it we were at a remote trailhead)

I own and have used https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B015TKUP..._3AfiFb5F8MSKK several times, including manual override on a completely dead Jetta. Works good, and is also a hell of a power bank if you need (I have used it camping). Lithium ion batteries don't self-discharge much -- all that eats charge is the quiescent current of the BMS, and that should be really low for small simple packs like these.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I picked up a NOCO on a Black Friday deal. Thought it would be convenient to use it to power some non-automotive 12V equipment. Good thing I tested everything beforehand, as it delivered bupkis. I tested it on a battery that would sink some current, and it did fine. But the "safety" features of the programming that keep it from blowing up if you hook it up backward or short the terminals also makes it a paperweight if it's not hooked up to a significant load. Something basic like a radio, small light, etc. won't run.

Note this does not reflect on its utility as a powerbank for running USB stuff.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I picked up a NOCO on a Black Friday deal. Thought it would be convenient to use it to power some non-automotive 12V equipment. Good thing I tested everything beforehand, as it delivered bupkis. I tested it on a battery that would sink some current, and it did fine. But the "safety" features of the programming that keep it from blowing up if you hook it up backward or short the terminals also makes it a paperweight if it's not hooked up to a significant load. Something basic like a radio, small light, etc. won't run.

Note this does not reflect on its utility as a powerbank for running USB stuff.

EDIT EDIT: Maybe this is not a good idea to try, what I mentioned below? I don't know. Don't zap yourself man!

I am not 100% sure since I don't have my NOCO in hand, but the override function will allow you to use it as described above for anything that is 12v. The override is designed to power a completely dead battery and removes all protections.

If you still have the NOCO I would love to hear if this works. Mine shipped but USPS has slow rolled my last 2 packages, one shipped 7 July and still not here.

EDIT: Found this accessory, but says its not compatible with the GB40???
    https://no.co/gbc010
    Last edited by rayrevolver; 07-28-2020 at 01:11 PM.

I've been running a NOCO for a couple of years. It's started up everything, including some diesel delivery trucks at work.

User Tag List