Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Me Choose A Portable Car Jumper Kit.....

Take a look at the Weego 66. While I have not gotten to use mine yet, I bought it based on a strong recommendation from a State Trooper friend who has used his on countless vehicles and absolutely loves it. Very easy to follow instructions for those of us who are not very automotively inclined. I carry this now in addition to a solid set of 4 gauge cables.

I watched someone jump start their minivan using a jump start battery last weekend. It jump started me to buy one. I just ordered one of these, a Gooloo GP37. Its on sale for the next few hours at $10 off.

https://www.amazon.com/GOOLOO-18000m...rd_i=318336011

Its spec is between the NOCO GB40 and GB50. And it costs less.
    Last edited by DamonL; 09-30-2020 at 07:40 PM.

The bad reviews give me pause. I think I'll stick with my jumper cables.

(Battery Tender Plus keeps the battery maintained if the vehicle's not being used for a period of time.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    The bad reviews give me pause. I think I'll stick with my jumper cables.

(Battery Tender Plus keeps the battery maintained if the vehicle's not being used for a period of time.)
    Jumper cables are great when there's someone else to provide the power and the vehicle isn't in some position that prevents them from reaching.

I keep jumper cables in all of my vehicles, but the little jump kits are just so convenient and will work even if you're alone.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Jumper cables are great when there's someone else to provide the power and the vehicle isn't in some position that prevents them from reaching.

I keep jumper cables in all of my vehicles, but the little jump kits are just so convenient and will work even if you're alone.

Chris
    Totally get that. I guess what bothers me is not knowing if something I've had on hand for months or a year without needing to use it, will work when called upon. (And not having the option of a warranty to replace it if it doesn't...which would be money wasted on top of the aggravation of being stuck.)

I know all about being out in the middle of nowhere with no one around to help. Been in areas out west where I didn't see another vehicle for several hours on the road, let alone once I got off the highway.

Very tempted...but leery.

I make my living off of cheap POS batteries (made by our competition) catching on fire, but I don’t think that’s a serious concern with these, and I have one in my trunk.

It might work (it probably will — I use it as a power bank from time to time and that keeps it topped off), and it takes up little space. I’ve used it three times to good effect.

Other than the fire hazard and the cost of two boxes of ammo, what’s the harm?
    Ignore Alien Orders

Totally get that. I guess what bothers me is not knowing if something I've had on hand for months or a year without needing to use it, will work when called upon. (And not having the option of a warranty to replace it if it doesn't...which would be money wasted on top of the aggravation of being stuck.)

I know all about being out in the middle of nowhere with no one around to help. Been in areas out west where I didn't see another vehicle for several hours on the road, let alone once I got off the highway.

So let’s say you’re out there all alone and DON’T have a battery jumper. What then?

My thought is I’d rather *maybe* have a way to self-jump than have literally nothing at all.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter

My van's battery died without warning. It was starting fine this a few days before, it sat for 3-4 days in our garage, and *poof*, it develops a dead cell and won't crank. In this case, jumper cables would have been difficult or impossible because it's a 1-car garage, the van was pulled straight in, and all the way to the wall (small garage, the only way to get the van to fit). I would have had to daisy-chain sets of jumper cables to reach another vehicle if not for the jump box.

Anyway, I still keep jumper cables in all three vehicles, but the jump boxes are much more convenient (even if not 100% foolproof).
    Then again, I keep multiple ways of fixing a flat in all three vehicles too (spare tire, fix-a-flat, and a plug kit), so I'm kind of a belt and suspenders guy when it comes to that sort of thing.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    So let’s say you’re out there all alone and DON’T have a battery jumper. What then?

My thought is I’d rather *maybe* have a way to self-jump than have literally nothing at all.
    If I were going on a trip to the back of the beyond, as I used to, I'd chance it as relatively cheap insurance. Since most of my forays these days are within range of civilization...less urgent.

But I agree...the circumstances dictate the need.

(Though it would be a bitter pill to have one that failed to work when needed...and no satisfaction from the vendor. Simply on principle...)

Can you unplug the battery and use the NOCO, in the override mode, to see if it will work?

It is always nice to vet equipment before you need it.

I am sold on the NOCO GB40. I need 2 more.

User Tag List