Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Me Choose A Portable Car Jumper Kit.....

That sounds defective, I'd swap for a new one.

I'm not an electron head, this is a paraphrase a friend gave me when trouble shooting a short-battery-life issue, with apologies if it is garbled:

"Devices without a mechanical switch all have some kind of circuit that acts as the switch. That circuit necessarily uses some current. In a well designed, non defective circuit, that parasitic draw will be minuscule, maybe using a couple per cent of the battery in a year or some such. But that circuit will be built of various components - resistors, capacitors, and so on, If they are out of spec, sometimes even a little bit, the parasitic draw can go way up."

I don't think most manufacturers of consumer grade stuff test for parasitic draw. My friend sampled several of the devices he was working with and got something like a 10X diff in parasitic draw.

(a few years back, when LED flashlights were changing over from hard mechanical switches to soft switches, so they can be multimode and all, I think several manufacturers had QC probs resulting in high parasitic draw. I bet it's hard to design a low draw circuit, and harder to design one that is low draw across a range of component variance)

Mine is at four days holding 100%. I will check in four or five more days and if is holding I will call it good and put it away in the SUV.

Mine's still sitting at 94%.

Quote Originally Posted by Gater View Post
    Mine's still sitting at 94%.
    If I haven't returned it, @Gater, I'll check mine in a week and see if it's holding at 94%. I wonder if that's the "default" increment it drops down to from 100% once it has experienced some minor threshold of discharge. (I'm a bit leery, and the email I got back from China did little to boost my confidence.)

I knew this was a bad idea...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

My main concern is the made in China LiPo battery.

Can these things typically be left hooked up to a 12v outlet in the vehicle so it’s charging whenever you’re driving?

If the vehicle sits long enough for the car battery to run down, would this deplete the charger as well if it’s hooked up to a 12v outlet?

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Suggs View Post
    My main concern is the made in China LiPo battery.
    I’d be curious to cut one open and see if they’re actually using a stack of reputable cells from Samsung or something.

Quote Originally Posted by boing View Post
    I’d be curious to cut one open and see if they’re actually using a stack of reputable cells from Samsung or something.

https://hackaday.com/2019/03/01/lith...-is-revealing/
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

This should prevent a disaster. Looks like its well protected

Name:  61dk+O1PDiL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  36.8 KB.

Mine is still holding 100% after six days.
    I'm calling it good. Put it in the vehicle and forget about it.

User Tag List