Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Me Choose A Portable Car Jumper Kit.....

Help Me Choose A Portable Car Jumper Kit.....

I want to get a couple of the portable auto jump start kits to keep in our cars. I did an Amazon search, and there's a ton of products available....but pretty confusing.

Mine is a Toyota 4Runner and she has Lexus RX350.

All help and input appreciated!

George
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

Help Me Choose A Portable Car Jumper Kit.....

Search Rugged Geek RG1000 on Amazon. We have them at work and they work great in my experience. If you get the one with mini compressor, it all comes in a nice case too. I plan to purchase a couple for my cars, just haven’t got the funds yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by leathermaneod; 11-03-2017 at 07:41 AM.

This makes me geek out and wish for a plethora of features, like weather radio perhaps? I like the manual charging capability of this one.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by leathermaneod View Post
    Search Rugged Geek RG1000 on Amazon. We have them at work and they work great in my experience. If you get the one with mini compressor, it all comes in a nice case too. I plan to purchase a couple for my cars, just haven’t got the funds yet.

I saw a lot of good reviews and picked one up. Right after the Amazon return window closed, I had to use it (little over a month). Battery was at 23%, which shouldn’t have occurred (1-2% loss per month). Used the compressor, burnt up within five minutes. Emailed Rugged Geek, sent a new kit the next day after I sent the Amazon order number.

New one seems good. Warranty is good, but have to see how a good one goes. Can’t really base my opinion on a bad apple.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    I saw a lot of good reviews and picked one up. Right after the Amazon return window closed, I had to use it (little over a month). Battery was at 23%, which shouldn’t have occurred (1-2% loss per month). Used the compressor, burnt up within five minutes. Emailed Rugged Geek, sent a new kit the next day after I sent the Amazon order number.

New one seems good. Warranty is good, but have to see how a good one goes. Can’t really base my opinion on a bad apple.
    I appreciate you sharing your experience. I don’t have much experience with these things, just going off what I have at work. I can say that at 72%, I was able to easily jump a full size truck with a V8 that was almost completely dead. I don’t know how long it had been since that jumper was charged or used either. They kinda just sit in the trucks unless someone takes the initiative to check/charge them, and they don’t always get charged after being used. I have never used the compressor so I can’t comment on it’s durability.
    I your replacement works out better for you!

Site Supporter
    I've got a Booster Pac ES5000 that my dad got me years ago. It still holds a charge well and has enough juice to get my car going (both my previous car and current car have Group 65/650-750 CCA batteries).

I shy away from the all-in-one tools just from seeing them as doing a lot of jobs okay but doing none of the jobs well. I carry a separate Viair 12V compressor for airing stuff up and separate battery powered radios. Same footprint as the all in one, but more versatile and probably a little better off than having something fail and cost me all three items instead of one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

I have had good luck with a Suaoki 18000 mAh 600A T3 I bought from Amazon in Jan 2016. Its performance has been quite impressive - hook it up to a dead battery, turn the ignition key and start the vehicle. The unit I bought came in a sturdy box with a small compressor and multiple connectors for charging various devices. The compressor works, but very slowly, especially with tires such as those on light trucks.
    Last edited by RichK; 11-03-2017 at 02:02 PM.

Thanks for the feedback, guys....very helpful!
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

I recommend the Battery Tender Jump Starter: https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...5%3A2470955011

Small, but gets the job done well. Also, it has an override switch for the reverse hook up protection. That's important because if the battery is 100% dead, jump packs with reverse hook up protection read no charge like a reverse book up. Without an override capability one of those jump packs becomes useless.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    Also, it has an override switch for the reverse hook up protection. That's important because if the battery is 100% dead, jump packs with reverse hook up protection read no charge like a reverse book up. Without an override capability one of those jump packs becomes useless.
    I never thought about that, and that's a really, really good nugget of information.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List