Thread: Anyone try John Hearne's reduced version of Dot Torture?

Anyone try John Hearne's reduced version of Dot Torture?

As mentioned by Greg Ellifritz in his recent e-blast information dump: http://www.activeresponsetraining.ne...ture-variation

Since greg shot it with a G42, I figured I'd give it a try with the same gun tonight, at 5 yards (first marker on the range I was at). Fun! But not very clean; those sumbitches are way small in this version.

Print one, and roll it out to 12-15 feet if you get a chance.

No, but I am going to add it to my list of things the next range trip.

I'm going to use it for my back up pieces and trim it to 25 rounds so that I can get two drills per box of 50.

Thanks for posting it.

I have always thought that Dot torture should be far fewer rounds — say 10 freestyle, and 5 each strong and support hand. How come the reduction in dot size, why not just shoot it at a distance that makes the target as hard as you want?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have always thought that Dot torture should be far fewer rounds — say 10 freestyle, and 5 each strong and support hand. How come the reduction in dot size, why not just shoot it at a distance that makes the target as hard as you want?
    That’s ultimately a question for @John Hearne but I like this because A) it prints true to intended size on my crappy printer setup (for some reason, the various P-F targets tend to give me fits; eg. I’d love to be able to do the legal-sized FAST target with the circle and box, but I just can’t find a software setting that prints the whole thing...) and B) —and this might sound strange, but it’s easier for my crappy vision to read the instructions and see the numbers, since the numbers are filled in instead of outline, and the instruction print on the one on the bench I use as a guide is proportionally bigger. I can’t read the original without cheaters. JMO, OMMV.

I’ll say this: at 5, the front sight is competing for title of "the biggest blurry dot." A buddy of mine works at the range—we both were in ECQC together this summer—he walked by while I was shooting and stopped to comment that he almost didn’t recognize me, but the dot torture target gave it away. Then he squinted, and said, "Man, those fuckers are small! What’s up with that..."

As another aside, this drill—with the G42–ties in neatly with a couple of very recent threads we’ve had discussing shooting the mini-glocks and grip, as well as an observance, by you IIRC, about trigger control being the more important part vs sight clarity.

Put differently, it’s clear to me that an intense focus on working my trigger will put a hole in the dot, while an intense focus on keeping the front sight over the dot may or may not put a hole in the dot...

I had some ECQC-derived observations about grip and the G43 (and G42) that I probably should have put in Mr. Pink’s thread (or the older one) but I was lazy after a long work week. Maybe I’ll go do that today... after another range trip with the mini-torture.

One last aside, the 30 round mini fest obviously works great with mini glocks and their 6-round stacks. I’ll probably try this with one of my wheelies today, only modifying dots 9 and 10 to suit—I like to just substitute more one-handed work there, since I’ve already done a little speed loader work earlier up the page out of necessity.

TL/DR: I like this version, even though I’m not a TDA guy.

In my extremely humble opinion, speaking from my very, very narrow lane.

One things I do like about the 50-round drill is that for many shooters, it forces concentration for a relatively prolonged period. It does seem like many people have a challenge focusing, which might be attributed to the lifestyle we often have forced on us. Check the cell for work emails and texts, etc.

So having to focus totally for 15-30 minutes is a rare thing for many people.

Again, just my own thoughts, and worth what you paid for them.

I'm going to try Mr Hearne's drill tomorrow with a Beretta 92 and a pair of wheelguns. I'm looking forward to it.

Oh, and John Hearne is an evil genius. I hope he responds in this thread, I always look forward to reading his thoughts.

How come the reduction in dot size, why not just shoot it at a distance that makes the target as hard as you want?
    I was wondering the same thing. Just shoot the regular size one at 7 yards.

My goal was to replicate the original Dot Torture in its totality as closely as possible but requiring less rounds. I like being able to start at 3 yards and work your way back as you clean it.

If you simply fire less rounds on the existing target, the task simply isn't the same level of difficulty. The "standard" of Dot Torture is 5 rounds in a 2" circle (3.14 sq in), the reduced version requires 3 or so rounds in a 1.2" circle (1.13 sq in). If you divide it out the original is .4 per round and the reduced is .3768 per round which is pretty close. (My math has the exact size as 1.23 for the exact same ratio so the dots are undersize by 0.03")

My personal take is that by shrinking the dots, you are faced with the same concentration problem that the original drill required. If you simply fire 30 rounds on the original target the concentration level just isn't the same. I find the "work" required for the 30 round course to be about the same as the work on the full version.

I've known Dave Blinder for a good number of years. I was there when the drill was first being shown to the public. Dave made it clear that it was a concentration drill before it was a marksmanship exercise. For me, the reduced round count version is a concentration drill first, because the dots are smaller.

The best part is these are simple word processing documents. If you don't like it, you can always change it.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Just got done shooting this and the 50rd version with my unmodded Beretta 92F. I really don't feel like it's much harder. Even though Dot Torture isn't normally shot on a timer there's a subconscious urge to shoot it as fast as you can and the smaller dots kinda force you to slow down and concentrate a little more and that's really where I need improvement. I should be clearing this at 5 yards every time but I keep wanting to go faster that I'm able. For the most part I'd say try both and shoot whichever you prefer but they also both have their own place I think. And the great thing about it is that they both allow you to adjust it to your needs. You can print the target with larger dots or just move closer, you can move back, you can shoot it on a timer, whatever you need or want. This version is great if you have limited ammo or time. I can run through the drills quickly and still have some ammo to practice the specific things I'm not good at. I'm very much a fan.

User Tag List