Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range Bag and Accessories

Range Bag and Accessories

Hello!

I have been an avid air gunner for years. However, with the growing concerns in the world today, and the suspected meth heads living next to me my wife and I wanted something for home defense and personal protection so I am getting into shooting powder burners on a regular basis.

Recently purchased a Glock 19 Gen 4 and a Walther P99c.

My range bag is coming today with some accessories and I just want to make sure I have everything or maybe not enough from people who have been there and done that.

• MidwayUSA Competition Range Bag System Black
    • Walker's Ultimate Alpha Power Muff Electronic Earmuffs (NRR 26dB) Flat Dark Earth x2
    • Walker's Ear Plugs (NRR 32 dB) Jar of 50 Pairs Orange
    • Radians Ladies Range Shooting Glasses Aqua/Charcoal Frame Clear Lens
    • Smith & Wesson Major Shooting Glasses Blue Frame Clear Lens
    • Ammo - Winchester 115g FMJ
    • Gun Cleaning and Lubrication
    • Assortment of small tools
    • Targets
    • Staple Gun
    • First Aid Kit
    • Hat (Hot Brass Burns Scalp)
    • Tight Collared Long Sleeve Shirt (Hot Brass Burns Skin)

I feel a litter weird about going to a shooting range with people I don’t know shooting there. What’s stopping them from turning their gun on me?

Thanks for any input or advice.

As long as it's a real range, and not a strip pit in the middle of nowhere, you don't gave any realistic worries about malicious behavior. Poor safety practices, you should keep your eyes out for though.

I highly suggest getting a couple tourniquets and keeping one in your range bag, using the other for you and the SO to practice with. Safety first.

Make friends at your local range, then you will know people. This will also help you avoid the people you don't want to be around for whatever reasons, safety or personality related. Don't take shooting advice from anyone that isn't very clearly a good performer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you’re going to carry tourniquets, you might as well have chest seals too. I’d argue they might be slightly more valuable than tourniquets when around shooting. Maybe some type of quick clot too. Make sure you are well versed in using any medical equipment you carry.

As for being worried about other people, just pay attention to what’s going on around you and leave/alert the RSO, if there is one, if you feel uncomfortable with something. Most indoor ranges have staff that closely watch the shooters to be sure they are following all the range rules. Outdoor ranges are usually unstaffed, but not very busy, in my experience at least.

You may want some type of mag loader, such as an Uplula as well. Have fun and be safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I suggest using 3M 90 spray glue instead of staplers. @Ernest Langdon posted a video on this and I just came back from the range trying it out and it's so much better to do than messing with a staple gun.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWxtVizlAEU/?hl=en

You can buy the 3M 90 spray from Amazon but I found it cheaper at Home Depot for about $10.There's also Cat Crap (yes, Cat Crap) lens cleaner that also fogproofs your eyepro. Finally, if you're using a gun with a fiber optic, it would be mindful to have an extra fiber optic rod handy with all the tools needed to install them.

As for shooting, I would recommend checking this thread out.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-for-Beginners

As for the goobers you find at the range, just don't mind them unless they do any stupid shit like sweeping you with an "empty gun" and just politely ask them to be more cautious with their gun handling. If you find yourself constantly being muzzle swept or have a legitimate you might catch some idiot's ND, pack up and get the fuck out.

Pistol-Forum is a wealth of knowledge and you'll learn a lot reading here while avoiding many pitfalls of bad habits most shooters suffer from. Have fun and enjoy yourself out on the range!

Good for you for getting to the range.

I can’t second the Maglula loader recommendation enough. It is quite possibly the best range bag gizmo I ever bought.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HBHNHE..._EZ2-zb39PNQTY

Bug spray maybe if outdoors. Good black sharpie to write the date and score on your targets. Pen and notebook.

A small clean kitchen towel (useful for eyepro cleaning, or wipe sweat from your eyes). Some non-rinse wipes if you don’t get to soap and water after a range visit, perhaps:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B858WM8..._g42-zbP75YGKV

Post range visit:A Hoppe’s Bore Snake in 9mm. A threaded brass cleaning rod. A set of Bore brushes, some patches. A jag in 9mm.

As to the rest, the guys have it covered. Unless you feel unsafe, I’d just ignore the others around you and focus on what you are trying to achieve.

Welcome to p-f. You are in a very good place to learn. I stumbled in here three years or so ago and have learned a ton (and still learning).
    Last edited by RJ; 11-02-2017 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Clarity

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Good for you for getting to the range.

I can’t second the Maglula loader recommendation enough. It is quite possibly the best range bag gizmo I ever bought.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HBHNHE..._EZ2-zb39PNQTY
    And they're available in Anti-Theft Pink...
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Welcome aboard!

I am a big fan of wipes to clean the lead off your face and hands:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...hps_bw_c_x_1_w

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...hps_bw_c_x_2_w

Quote Originally Posted by ikeevens View Post

I feel a litter weird about going to a shooting range with people I don’t know shooting there. What’s stopping them from turning their gun on me?
    This mindset is exactly the way liberals think of people with guns. Anyone that has them is a ticking time bomb for being an unexplained active shooter. I am not sure that is a healthy way to think about going to practice or being around gun people. You said you wanted to practice to get better and I would first give others the benefit of the doubt of doing the same thing.

I don't think you were referencing safety but it goes without saying that obviously, if people are handling their guns unsafely, you should say something to them or let the range officer know so he can say something to them.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    This mindset is exactly the way liberals think of people with guns. Anyone that has them is a ticking time bomb for being an unexplained active shooter. I am not sure that is a healthy way to think about going to practice or being around gun people. You said you wanted to practice to get better and I would first give others the benefit of the doubt of doing the same thing.
    To be fair, if one has never been exposed to any of this before, how would you know any different? I've taken new people shooting before, and read stories from other first-timers, and that's a very common reaction. Essentially, "wow, everyone was really polite and friendly! I thought it would be scary but it wasn't!"
    Even my wife was under the impression that such places were chock full of skinheads and klukkers and other horrible people. That's the media impression, unfortunately sometimes augmented by jackholes posting on internet forums and selectively interviewed by media types.

We do our part to fix this by being good ambassadors online and in person.

Unsafe practices stemming from ignorance or negligence are another matter, and something you should always watch for.
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." - R. A. Heinlein

The fact that I’m vaguely convinced that anyone in the wal mart could turn their guns on me st any moment is why I carry in the first place.
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List