Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stun Guns

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Isn’t a Taser considered to be a firearm?
    This was way before the current models: .

On the current iterations the darts are propelled out of a non-rifled chamber, and the propellent is compressed nitrogen.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    I have found a fewer old threads on Tasers and Stun guns (older than even this one, one from 2012).

What's the opinion on the PD trade-in's that one can find at Recoil Gunworks, (and I assume other places)?

https://www.recoilgunworks.com/polic.../?Brand=Taser&

They seem to me like they might fit an okay niche for places where carry permits are a pain to get, or out of state travel, or for someone who just can't carry or handle a gun. And, they are Tasers.

I'm not sold on the concept, and it really would not be for me, but hey, figured I'd ask.

I know laws vary from state to state on these things, too (and they don't replace pepper spray or a gun).

Edited to add: I suppose one would want to clean them really good...
    One of the problems is what to do with the guy after you've shot him with the darts. It's been several years since I taught a class, but the x26's and X2's shown give you five seconds of ride per squeeze, or until the battery runs down if you hold the trigger back. They have memories, so the TASER will tell how often and how long you deployed.

For that reason, if I was going to get one for civilian use, I'd get the TASER Pulse. It is designed to cycle continuously for 18 to 30 seconds after the user deploys it, drops it and runs away. Use it in a justified manner, file a police report, and TASER will give you a new one. Notice the $399.99 price compared to the used police models.

https://taser.com/products/taser-pulse

Their replacement policy:

Safe Escape Product Replacement Guarantee

When a C2, Bolt series, StrikeLight, StrikeLight 2, Pulse or Pulse+ Conducted Electrical Weapon is used in self-defense, the weapons may be deployed and left behind providing the Purchaser a window of opportunity to get to safety and call law enforcement. Axon Enterprise will replace the C2, Bolt, Pulse or Pulse + weapons free of charge, with the same product or a like product, or issue a refund equal to the purchase price, at Axon Enterprise’s option, if the Purchaser provides, within one year following the event, the following information to Axon Enterprise:

A copy of the official police report documenting the incident, the use of the product in self-defense, and the loss of the product

Proof of purchase of the product

Purchaser’s name, physical address (no P.O. Boxes allowed), and phone number of where to send the replaced item. Purchaser is responsible for any expedited shipping or handling costs for the replacement weapon.

A replacement product assumes the remaining warranty of the original product or 90-days from the date of replacement, whichever provides longer coverage to the Purchaser. Axon Enterprise’s Lifetime Replacement Guarantee is not available or applicable:

On any international (Non-United States) sales or uses of TASER Citizen Products; or

To any Purchaser who uses the CEW for a commercial purpose.

The Safe Escape Guarantee does not apply if your device is lost or stolen.

ETA: The use of the TASER or any other 'stun gun' to stun with probes is problematic for several reasons: 1) it's hard to hold on to them and keep contact after you initiate the stun - if you can maintain contact there's a pretty good chance you could have controlled the subject w/o the 'stun gun.' 2) you have to get really close to your work (should probably be #1) 3) unlike the police you may not have backup to control the subject after the stun.
    Last edited by DDTSGM; 09-19-2022 at 10:41 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    One of the problems is what to do with the guy after you've shot him with the darts. It's been several years since I taught a class, but the x26's and X2's shown give you five seconds of ride per squeeze, or until the battery runs down if you hold the trigger back. They have memories, so the TASER will tell how often and how long you deployed.

For that reason, if I was going to get one for civilian use, I'd get the TASER Pulse. It is designed to cycle continuously for 18 to 30 seconds after the user deploys it, drops it and runs away. Use it in a justified manner, file a police report, and TASER will give you a new one. Notice the $399.99 price compared to the used police models.
    Thanks, good info!

What Dan said. FWIW I would stay away from trade in TASERs. They have been ridden hard, and IME they were way to fragile for what you paid for them. Also, unless I'm mistaken, the X26 is no longer supported by TASER, so batteries and cartridges are going to be tough. I don't see much practical application for them in the hands of a private citizen, and they have a small niche in LE. More often than not, most street cops don't use them to the best advantage. With the possible exception of the one designed for citizen self defense, I'd stay away from them. After four or five recerts, I let my instructor status go. Juice is not worth the squeeze. Plus, being in NC, Armstrong vs Village of Pinehurst makes me twitchy about using one again (not that I need to in my current status). Same with OC. The fourth circuit put a pretty strong limitation on both tools for LE. Doesn't impact private citizens use, but I am no longer a huge fan of the TASER. It has a place, but limited. Plus, the company (now AXON) doesnt really give much of a damn about them as all their money is coming in via the data storage packages from their BWC side of the house.

Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post
    What Dan said. FWIW I would stay away from trade in TASERs. They have been ridden hard, and IME they were way to fragile for what you paid for them. Also, unless I'm mistaken, the X26 is no longer supported by TASER, so batteries and cartridges are going to be tough.
    Yep, we lost a lot of x26's due to the safeties breaking.

User Tag List