Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Drawbacks of a Subcompact Single-Stack 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I owe that a try also. I've generally hated the weird steering effect of that on larger pistols but never tried it on the tinies.
    I think if you have size L or bigger mitts, it's definitely worth trying.

I did it on accident one day after being so used to shooting a larger grip (not practicing with the little guy enough for how often I had been carrying it), just ripped it and wrapped my whole support hand around. I have been pleased with the extra control it has given me.

I have large sized hands but fairly straight and trim digits as opposed to meat mallets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink View Post

After testing, I've decided to focus on ways to mitigate the support hand control issues. I'm thinking changing my grip, using grip tape or an extended magazine. Anyone found a technique that works?

The Ayoob Wedge. It was designed originally (I believe) to be used with snubbies, but it works great with small autos or even bigger guns. It is actually how I grip all guns now, after being shown it in detail by Paul Sharp.

The main idea is to get the upper edge of the middle finger of the support hand in hard contact with the trigger guard. Then the support hand index finger drives it's way in behind. This acts as sort of a "camming action" of the muzzle level. I have found personally that it allows me to really get a solid and hard grip on whatever pistol I shoot. It really helps on something like the PPS or P2000sk.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

I give you....The Wedge Grip, from Ayoob himself.

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/qu...-grip.1340458/
    Last edited by Irelander; 11-02-2017 at 01:03 PM.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    I give you....The Wedge Grip, from Ayoob himself.

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/qu...-grip.1340458/
    Must be my hands, but trying that technique with my Blackhawk G17 demonstrator is somewhere between really awkward and impossible.
    I'd definitely be kilt in da streets if I ever try to pull this one off...

Site Supporter
    I have been shooting my 43 quite a bit the last 3-4 months, at lest quite a bit more than I used to. I have shot it as a few local outlaw uspsa matches, and have been taking it to the range about once a week for 3-4 months. I have tried comps on the full sized glocks (a 19, 17, and 34), and never really warmed up to the idea. I liked the 34 better than the comped 19 (same approx. size) in fact. When TBRC came out with the Glock 43 comp, I figured I would give it a try. I have had the comp on the 43 for about 3 weeks now with about 1k through it. I actually really like the 43 comp a lot, and see a much bigger difference in controlling the muzzle compared to the full size guns. Me and a friend did a few runs of some basic drills (FAST, bill drill, 10 at 25 yds timed, etc.) and we both saw improvement almost across the board. I am continuing to test it, but initially I think it can be a valid piece of equipment for helping me use the 43 better. While there are downsides of the 43 vs a 19/17/34, I feel comfortable with carrying the 43 with a spare mag or two most of the time. Just my opinion, your results may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Must be my hands, but trying that technique with my Blackhawk G17 demonstrator is somewhere between really awkward and impossible.
    I'd definitely be kilt in da streets if I ever try to pull this one off...
    I like it as it puts my support hand higher on the gun. There is not a lot of grip surface for the support hand on the smaller guns and placing my support hand higher gives it a place to contact the gun, just below the slide. This works well on my PPS.
    Last edited by Irelander; 11-02-2017 at 01:36 PM.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

I enjoyed watching that video - nice shooting Mr Pink!

I can't say I have any special insight on gripping the 43, beyond the obvious of feeling like it needs to be gripped hard. I've worked with mine some, but not a lot. My only real takeaway from the little bit of shooting I've done with it, is a major need for patience on that trigger. I have to be patient through the entirety of that thick-feeling pressure wall. I feel like I have to give a lot of effort to shoot it well, but that it does have a lot of capability for such a small gun.

Tried my class testing on it a while back (practice environment only though.) First time through I was able to hit the Light Pin threshold, but not quite Turbo. Second attempt I was just barely able to reach the overall Turbo level.

Light Pin level

Turbo Pin level
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    I like it as it puts my support hand higher on the gun. There is not a lot of grip surface for the support hand on the smaller guns and placing my support hand higher gives it a place to contact the gun, just below the slide. This works well on my PPS.
    Yeah, I can see how it would help. I've been practicing with it over the past little while and I'm starting to get it. Not sure it's for me for a couple of reasons but I can see how it could firm up the grip some.

Mr. Pink, the issue you're having with the support hand moving/coming off on recoil is the exact issue I was/am having with my G43. My followup shots, especially with the flat mag, were downright terrible especially when compared to when I used my mags with the Vickers +2 extensions on them. I put the pinky grip back on the flat mag (which previously had been my carry mag) and my shots tightened up compared to without. The pinky grip adds negligible length but because of the angle it still conceals equally well. I also have a set of talon grips on order to add to this little gun which I'm hoping really shores up my issues.

When you grip something tightly you're creating isometric tension though out your body. It's not just the fingers that tighten, but the biceps, triceps, delts, pecs, traps, lats all tighten as well. Once you're holding onto a pistol tight enough that it's not moving in your hand under recoil, the benefit of stronger grip or gripping tighter is the tension created through the upper body. That tension is going to make the it hard for your hand to move with a small pistol that has a snappy recoil.

Semantics schemantics, with the G43 the support hand is staying in place and the pistol is moving away. It sounds counterintuitive but softening up the grip just a bit might help, by allowing your support hand to move with the pistol under recoil. Be firm but the death grip tension is only exacerbating the problem.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

User Tag List