Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Drawbacks of a Subcompact Single-Stack 9mm

Site Supporter

The Drawbacks of a Subcompact Single-Stack 9mm

I recently saw this article The Drawbacks of a Subcompact Single-Stack 9mm and it got me thinking about my G43.

On very rare occasions, I'll carry the G43 instead of the G19, but admittedly I haven't trained or shot it much. Tamara's article brought up some interesting points regarding drawbacks.

Instead of thinking about it, I thought I'd test my capabilities with the subcompact single-stack 9mm.

After testing, I've decided to focus on ways to mitigate the support hand control issues. I'm thinking changing my grip, using grip tape or an extended magazine. Anyone found a technique that works?

Support hand index finger on trigger guard of 42/43, to make room for full support hand contact like a larger pistol.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

The bottom line for me is I just can't shoot them as well as a g19 size gun. The extended mag made the biggest difference, but results were still not the same and the grip length was about the size of the g19.

The biggest difference in lack of performance with the subs was with reloads.

Good luck following with interest.

I haven't shot the G43 but I do have a lot of rounds through my S&W Shield. The small size combined with the slickness of the grip / frame made it difficult. I am a big believer in Talon Grips for my plastic guns (G19 and Shield). I also like the 8 round extended mag better than the flush fit 7 rd. IMO, these little guns give minimal grip surface so I need every advantage I can get.

In your vid were you using the flush fit mag or one big enough for a full grip?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    In your vid were you using the flush fit mag or one big enough for a full grip?
    Flush fit mag. I'm looking forward to trying an extended mag and Talon Grips.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Support hand index finger on trigger guard of 42/43, to make room for full support hand contact like a larger pistol.
    I would've never thought of that. I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    This is how I shoot tiny guns in general, too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink View Post
    I recently saw this article The Drawbacks of a Subcompact Single-Stack 9mm and it got me thinking about my G43.

On very rare occasions, I'll carry the G43 instead of the G19, but admittedly I haven't trained or shot it much. Tamara's article brought up some interesting points regarding drawbacks.

Instead of thinking about it, I thought I'd test my capabilities with the subcompact single-stack 9mm.

After testing, I've decided to focus on ways to mitigate the support hand control issues. I'm thinking changing my grip, using grip tape or an extended magazine. Anyone found a technique that works?
    Well done analysis and shooting too.

Bottom bottom line, a quality subcompact 9 is extremely capable in the hands of a good shooter.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

In recent months Kyle Defoor used a G43 as his primary training pistol for quite some time. He covered it a great deal on his FB page and perhaps he did on his blog somewhere also, IDK.

He seemed to be daily testing himself with 10 shots to a B8 at 25 yards from a concealed draw - in 20 seconds. He generally shot in the low to mid 90s.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink View Post
    I would've never thought of that. I'll give it a try. Thanks!
    I owe that a try also. I've generally hated the weird steering effect of that on larger pistols but never tried it on the tinies.

User Tag List