Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger SP101 9mm

Ruger SP101 9mm

#RESIST

Ruger SP101 9mm

I have a friend who is probably looking at this as a good news/bad news deal. The good news is that he can probably buy new Ruger moon clips for his older model, the bad news is that the value of his old original model probably dropped some. Personally I don’t know why Ruger released this as a standard model, I would rather have seen it in a Wiley Clapp form. What I’d really like to see is a three inch 327 Magnum LCR with a carry melt treatment but I’m weird that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Eastex; 10-31-2017 at 08:26 PM.

I dig it. I’ve always been leery of the 9mm revolvers just because of wear. But if there is ANY compact frame revolver that can handle the wear of a high pressure cartridge and chronic use, it is the SP101.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More quality options = life is good.

That said, while I like the idea of SP101s, they just don’t fit my hands. I’ve never ended up keeping the ones that I occasionally impulse buy. But, hey, quick perusal of 9mm v .38 v .357 range fodder prices indicates that this could be great fun for the SP101 fan, and easy to rationalize.

WRT moon clips, after both my 640 Pro moon clips essentially disintegrated during loading, I'm very skeptical. Great idea, but execution (in my case) was suboptimal. Apparently, the design was robust enough for war time service X 2 (between 1917 and 1945 at least). Not sure if thy tried harder to produce a workable clip then, S&W's sub-vendor is now completely crap, or I wasn't making the right face while loading the clips. YMMV.

That aside, does anyone know if the spurless / DAO models have MIM or non-MIM hammers? I read somewhere they retained the cast hammer for the spurless / DAO. Unsure if this was to generate mass for positive ignition, some other reason, or fallacious posting.
    Last edited by Willard; 10-31-2017 at 09:59 PM.

We had a lengthy thread on the LCR in 9mm.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I'm all for it but I don't have much need for a snubby that heavy anymore. My SP101 is just a practice gun now. I don't know if I even want a 9mm LCR anymore now that I can actually find .22lr.

Now a S&W 929 sounds like fun.

https://www.tkcustom.com/products/mo...1x5-9mm-032-ss

TK Custom makes moon clips for them.

I have one of the old 9mm SP101's with a 3" barrel. The clips that came with it are junk. The clips from TK are pretty good. I don't shoot it much. I probably have less than 1000 rounds through mine. I got it used in a deal. I'll probably have to drag it out now and see how it does. As I remember, it shot low with all ammo and I had sticky brass with some ammo.

I really want one of these, but I don’t want to be a beta-tester.

JR1572

Don't 9mm revolvers often have a problem with bullet jump?
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

User Tag List