Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: "What makes the AK so reliable?"

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    I'm being issued an AK on my next gig over here. I'll let y'all know how it shoots.
    A friend who was active Army SF, then NG SF with multiple deployments; alternated from NG deployments with security contracting gigs in Iraq. On one contract with a top name company in the genre they were in a big rush and their equipment (incl carbines) hadn't caught up with them yet.

They were offered a 55 gal drum full of AKs and told to pick one. One younger fellow; recently off military service quit on the spot! lol
    Well this team was working security for a couple days non-stop before a break but with no gunfights thankfully. On his first shot finally test firing this AK; it grenaded on him. He was glad it had not come to shooting in those two days! About then their proper M4 type rifles etc showed up and all was good after that.

Anyway, do let us know.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    A friend who was active Army SF, then NG SF with multiple deployments; alternated from NG deployments with security contracting gigs in Iraq. On one contract with a top name company in the genre they were in a big rush and their equipment (incl carbines) hadn't caught up with them yet.

They were offered a 55 gal drum full of AKs and told to pick one. One younger fellow; recently off military service quit on the spot! lol
    Well this team was working security for a couple days non-stop before a break but with no gunfights thankfully. On his first shot finally test firing this AK; it grenaded on him. He was glad it had not come to shooting in those two days! About then their proper M4 type rifles etc showed up and all was good after that.

Anyway, do let us know.
    Saw that quite often. Or get old buddies showing up at the compound begging for weapons and ammo. Sad.

The smart ones walked.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Regarding the slr107c my accuracy actually got even better after I chopped the barrel. I say go for it.

I had a PSL/FPK, and I am *positive* that chopping the barrel would have worked wonders for accuracy. The barrel was pencil thin, and after a couple of magazine's worth of ammo, even with a good bit of time between shots, there would be so much heat coming off the barrel it looked like a rip in the fabric of time and space. I felt like the barrel was probably whipping a lot.

I always thought that if the barrel was shortened to 16" - 20" (a number of companies are shortening them to 16" now and putting a standard AK gas tube and piston in and relocating the gas ports), the whip would be much, much less and it would be great for groupings.

I've seen a test compare the PSL/FPK with a 26" barrel to the Saiga 308's with 16" or 20" barrels, with comparable ammunition (Eastern bloc spam can 7.62x54R vs. Privi Partisan or Wolf .308), and the Saiga 308 looked as good if not better on the groupings. Both guns were pretty comparable, G2 trigger, same (or comparable) optics if I recall, etc.

Personally, if I were to be getting into the AK game with an eye towards accuracy, I think I'd either get a Saiga 308 or a .223 variant, simply due to ammunition options. One thing I didn't like about the PSL/FPK is that while it was happy to chew through spam can 7.62x54R, the choices outside of that seemed pretty limited, and just as expensive as .308. It was a cheap, high powered, long distance plinker, but far too heavy and big for what it delivered.

J.Ja
    Owner/President of Titanium Crowbar, LLC

Just for a little ambiance.

Quote Originally Posted by jmjames View Post
    I had a PSL/FPK, and I am *positive* that chopping the barrel would have worked wonders for accuracy. The barrel was pencil thin, and after a couple of magazine's worth of ammo, even with a good bit of time between shots, there would be so much heat coming off the barrel it looked like a rip in the fabric of time and space. I felt like the barrel was probably whipping a lot.

I always thought that if the barrel was shortened to 16" - 20" (a number of companies are shortening them to 16" now and putting a standard AK gas tube and piston in and relocating the gas ports), the whip would be much, much less and it would be great for groupings.

I've seen a test compare the PSL/FPK with a 26" barrel to the Saiga 308's with 16" or 20" barrels, with comparable ammunition (Eastern bloc spam can 7.62x54R vs. Privi Partisan or Wolf .308), and the Saiga 308 looked as good if not better on the groupings. Both guns were pretty comparable, G2 trigger, same (or comparable) optics if I recall, etc.

Personally, if I were to be getting into the AK game with an eye towards accuracy, I think I'd either get a Saiga 308 or a .223 variant, simply due to ammunition options. One thing I didn't like about the PSL/FPK is that while it was happy to chew through spam can 7.62x54R, the choices outside of that seemed pretty limited, and just as expensive as .308. It was a cheap, high powered, long distance plinker, but far too heavy and big for what it delivered.

J.Ja
    The most accurate AK that I've deal with was a 5.56mm VEPR. Heavy sumbitch but man it was a 1.5 moa gun at 100m.

User Tag List