Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fixed magnification optics at close ranges

Quote Originally Posted by CS Tactical View Post
    @Tony1911 Not sure if you're referring to us inflating the price
    No mate, you misunderstood me. I was referring to the prices (and common pricing practices) in the country I live in.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony1911 View Post
    No mate, you misunderstood me. I was referring to the prices (and common pricing practices) in the country I live in.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    Copy, good luck with your endeavors.
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tony1911 View Post
    On the one hand, I find myself curious about fixed power scopes in general. I like the idea of ruggedness, simplicity, clarity of glass, all those positive aspects of them. Realistically though I don't have much money to use so right now I'm looking at mainly the Primary Arms scopes, especially the 3x. Which, yes, is no ACOG. But apparently it should be a serviceable scope for not a lot of money.
    I wasn't really trying to talk you into a fixed optic, quite the opposite really. I would highly encourage you to talk directly with CS Tactical before you make the call to buy a fixed power. I would save my money until I had a little more to spend or talk to someone else who knows exactly what your money will buy you and can recommend the best option with the given budget.

ETA: Just saw that you don't live CONUS. My fault, I would still try to find someone who can talk over the exact options that you are looking at. I would really really recommend a variable with BDC if it's going atop an AR pattern rifle.
    Last edited by Mike C; 11-01-2017 at 02:58 PM.

A Leupold 6x36 w LR Duplex w T2 piggybacked at 2 0'clock would cover the 5.56mm spectrum 0-400 handily for LE purposes. Beyond that I'd prefer a 6mm to 6.5 mm option in the Creed through 6.5x55 arena.
    I'm iî
    I'd suffer a .308 for I'm pretty much a hidebound conservative and .308s kill things positively dead!
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

Tony, I used a Leupold FX 2.5 X fixed power scope on a ADM Scout mount on one of my AR rifles before buying a Variable 1-4 scope. It is a great scope and very practical. Inside 100 yards the scope is fast. I've shot with it out to 300 yards but felt that it was better suited to shorter ranges. Because these scopes are often used on Big game rifles it is durable, has fewer components than a variable, generous eye relief, and a wide field of view. It is a reasonbly priced optic and typically costs around $300.00 retail here in the U.S.

I shot the 2.5 Leupold extensively on a 16" AR rifle. By close range I'm not certain at what distance you are referring to but if that included self defense within 25 yards, then in my opinion the 2.5 should work. Minus the illuminated reticle of course. I used a Surefire scout light and it worked well with the scope. It's also a much more compact scope than a variable too.

I replaced the Leupold with a S&B 1-4X Short Dot which I predominately leave set at 2X. I use 4X when target shooting.

I believe that Burris used to produce a similar scope in a 2.5 and 4X power (non-extended eye relief) model. But discontinued both models.

https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rimfi...light-2-5x20mm

P.S. If it is an option, the original Vortex 1-4 PST is great scope to try out the variable optic. I was surprised by the quality for a lower priced scope.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...cq-moa-reticle
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by SkiDevil; 11-02-2017 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Double use of same word,mEdit

Unless one considers an Aimpoint 3x magnifier a fixed power optic, I have not used one. Factor that in to what I'm about to type.

Brought Scott Reitz in for a carbine class for the instructors at my Office. Uncle Scotty brought up the ACOG issue, apprently they were quite popular within Metropolitan Division, specifically the 4x models. What he noted was the models with stadia lines in the reticle could be pretty easily used at the shorter ranges we oft employ carbines. He noted the horizontal stadia lines would correspond with known close distances as the off-sets, hold overs needed to address bore line / sight line issues. It may be a way to take advantage of the fixed power and still work in closer than the optic might be best suited for.

I have spent a lot of time behind a fixed power low magnification optics.
    My experience with them covers 2&3 gun competition, personal ownership and use, military issue, military use in combat, large scale training from entry level through advanced small unit level, and high density sustainment training.

I f**king despise them.
    Ok, that was a little harsh. I do not find any of them suitable for life and death use inside 50 meters in conditions that involve another dude trying to kill me.
    If you stick a reflex type optic on top of them, and train to intuitively drive the top mounted dot, you overcome the most significant detriment to their employment.

I have invested many thousands of dollars in 1-whatever magnification optics and ancillary sighting systems specifically to fix the practical negatives of fixed power low magnification optics on guns that are taken into harm's way.

There is a reason that every combat-oriented user group is currently running a 1-6x optic program to replace their 4x optics; it isn't because the fixed 4x optics are so good they just cant stand to keep them.
    Last edited by Failure2Stop; 11-02-2017 at 07:50 AM.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I have invested many thousands of dollars in 1-whatever magnification optics and ancillary sighting systems specifically to fix the practical negatives of fixed power low magnification optics on guns that are taken into harm's way.
    F2S, could you please point me to any resources on learning more about the practical negatives you mention, as well as what your recommended solution would be to overcome those via ancillary sighting systems? If this is something pretty obvious that I should just Google, feel free to tell me that as well.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Ok, that was a little harsh. I do not find any of them suitable for life and death use inside 50 meters in conditions that involve another dude trying to kill me.
    If you stick a reflex type optic on top of them, and train to intuitively drive the top mounted dot, you overcome the most significant detriment to their employment.
    Our department evaluated ACOGs and other options. While I don't know the details, the end result was any magnification was banned and reflex/RDS was highly encouraged. Sounds like they found the same thing you did.

Back before my last team got our Mk16s with fresh optics, we had a mix of Aimpoints, EoTechs, and ACOGs. The ACOGs were 4x, and the ACOG fans always crowed about how great they were when we were shooting qualifications and static rifle training iterations.

Then we went to a week long course that involved A LOT of close quarter shooting, in and out of buildings and vehicles. Every single one of my ACOG shooters stripped their optics off before the end of day 1, and ended up shooting irons the rest of the week.

Not saying a fixed power optic has NO place on a defensive carbine, just saying they can have serious limitations...

User Tag List