Page 9 of 126 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Bear Defense

At no time should we be comparing hunting and tactics involving people with animals. They are not the same and I actually have found it fairly humorous to see the “what I would do” stuff in this realm as I see in the dealing with People realm.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Beautiful photography as always GJM.

And for those of you who don't have your Peterson's Field Guides handy, the two "cubs" in that shot are likely larger than the biggest Black Bear I would have to contend with here in SW Washington...
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Article on various caliber's performance defending against bears. Mostly grizzly. Medium to large caliber pistols included. 37 incidents, 97% success. Hits counted more than misses it suggests

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/02/def...#axzz57mbsMZ2U
    Last edited by JHC; 02-21-2018 at 11:58 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Article on various caliber's performance defending against bears. Mostly grizzly. Medium to large caliber pistols included. 37 incidents, 97% success. Hits counted more than misses it suggests

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/02/def...#axzz57mbsMZ2U
    Very interesting article. It appears ready access to a handgun and marksmanship matter more than caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Very interesting article. It appears ready access to a handgun and marksmanship matter more than caliber.
    Seems like we’ve heard that theory somewhere before.

A 9mm pistol sure seems better than a pointed stick, and perhaps even better than a .375 H&H bolt action at close range, after shot one.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Seems like we’ve heard that theory somewhere before.
    If past history is any indicator, I think that theory can be nudged up to being a reality more times than not.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    It is amazing how many people look at you funny when you suggest they should save their money and not buy a .500 Soulraper or whatnot for their three day camping trip to the Rockies when the only guns that individual owns owns are a G17 and a 10/22. True Story.
    Last edited by PNWTO; 02-22-2018 at 03:05 PM.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Bears, sharks, and even snakes remind us of our place in the food chain, while also giving us excuses to buy guns we really don’t need.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Bears, sharks, and even snakes remind us of our place in the food chain, while also giving us excuses to buy guns we really don’t need.
    Heh... the last gun I bought (technically yesterday, the first business day after it came off 30-day hold) was a Henry lever in .357 with the brass alloy receiver. Clearly, I’ve gone beyond excuses. I wager that I’m not alone on this.

User Tag List