Page 88 of 126 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Bear Defense

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    If I was carrying a revolver for a bear gun, all six would be bear loads. More likely to have plenty of time to drop in a snake round if you need it. If you need a bear load, you may not want to take the time to dump the three ineffective rounds, and then only have three bear rounds without a reload.

Like I said, snakes are much more of a concern in these parts. I have to go fairly far north to have to worry about bears. Now if I was in bear country, yah fuck the snake shot.

I often carry a snake shot load first up if snakes are in season and Im where they may be around, but one is generally it. When ive carried the J frame in a pocket specifically for snakes (as in not the only gun), its 2 rds. I dont recall ever needing more than 1 to make a snake extremely dead unless it was the 22 CCIs in a 1" barrel, they werent too impressive. If I have a rifle it often will have an ultra-light load in the chamber for snakes and a spare in the sling keeper.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Bear attacks woman who's walking her dogs

Bear attacks woman who's walking her dogs, she plays dead even with 'crunched' skull | Fox News

A woman was walking her two German shepherds near her home when the three of them encountered a wild bear — which then attacked her after one of her dogs charged.Renee Levow, of Frederick County, Maryland, was walking her two dogs, Kylie and Bones, when they came across a large bear.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Those gutless shepherds would be sent back to the Daisy Hill Puppy Farm for a full refund were they mine.
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    I scammed these pictures as screen shots from insty ;

The two wrestlers. 👍

Attachment 95831

Attachment 95832

Attachment 95833
    Good object lesson. Now I won't argue WHAT gun to bring... just bring one that can stay on you at all times. Same for caliber.

I have S&W 629-1 Mountain Gun .44 magnum, Glock 29sf 10mm, S&W 657 .41 Magnum, Ruger Redhawk .45 LC, 3 inch GP100 .357, etc... any of 'em would work. Just gotta have 'em on you.

Folks look up Todd Orr, the guy mauled twice. His Blackhawk .44 was left on his pack and his bear spray ineffective.

Site Supporter
    Somehow we missed this black bear attack in CR that happened this October.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/10-year-o...rents-backyard

10-year-old CT boy mauled by bear in grandparent's backyard
    Connecticut police put down the 250-pound black bear before it could kill the 10-year-old boy

A 250-pound black bear mauled a 10-year-old boy playing in his grandparents’ backyard in Connecticut and tried to drag him away before the animal was fatally shot by police, authorities said.

The child was attacked about 11 a.m. Sunday in the town of Morris, the state Department of Energy and Environmental Protection said. He was taken to a hospital for treatment of injuries that were not life-threatening.

Officers from the state police and DEEP's environmental conservation force responded and shot the bear, authorities said.

VIOLENT WEEK A GRIM SIGN AS TARGETED KILLINGS OF POLICE RISE

The boy's grandfather described the harrowing attack to the Republican-American of Waterbury. James Butler said his grandson was playing near a trampoline when the bear emerged from thick woods behind the house.

"I heard him yell ‘bear’ and when I looked up, I saw his leg in the bear’s mouth and the bear trying to drag him across the lawn," Butler said.

Butler, who uses a wheelchair, wheeled his chair toward the bear and threw a metal bar at its head, he told the newspaper.

A 10-year-old boy who was attacked by a bear in his grandparent's backyard in Connecticut escaped with only minor injuries.
    A 10-year-old boy who was attacked by a bear in his grandparent's backyard in Connecticut escaped with only minor injuries.
    The bear released the boy but then grabbed the child a second time and used its claws to try to roll the boy onto his back, the grandfather said.

A neighbor alerted by the boy's screams raced over and scared the bear off by brandishing a pipe and yelling, Butler said.

Once Butler and his grandson were safely inside the house, the bear returned, walking up a wheelchair ramp and peering at them through screen door, Butler said

"We thought he was coming through the screen," Butler said. "No doubt he was a big threat."

The bear was fatally shot by police a short time later.

Butler, and his wife, Christina Anderson, who was inside the house when the bear attacked, said the boy suffered a puncture wound to one thigh, bite marks on a foot and ankle and claw marks on his back.

State biologist Jenny Dixon said the risk of negative bear-human interactions is increasing as Connecticut's expanding bear population becomes acclimated to humans and develops a taste for their food.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

This link was embedded in the ice axe article in the event it hasn't already been posted;

https://www.outdoorlife.com/survival...y-bear-charge/
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Well, at least the guide was carrying "enough gun".
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List